There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Boldin versus Harvin

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
yea i hope boldin can do good against browner and sherman but in 2011 when ravens went up against seahawks Boldin only had 2 catches for 22 yeards and no TDs =/ i hope there were some factors playing into that quiet day for boldin

He certainly didnt have crabtree accross the field and vernon in the te position. Making the seahawks focus on more then just him.
Niners dont need Boldin to stretch the field. The fact that hes slow doesnt matter. He may line up in some formations like walker did and hes faster then him.

The Hawks are hoping Hervin is going to be consistant. But he wont. They overpaid for an injury prone headcase. No he is not a swiss army knife. He lines up in the backfield and takes a toss. Thats not a real RB. He cant take the punishment. Hes a shrimp. I would love to see him take a toss against the niners.... career over.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Niners dont need Boldin to stretch the field. The fact that hes slow doesnt matter. He may line up in some formations like walker did and hes faster then him.

The Hawks are hoping Hervin is going to be consistant. But he wont. They overpaid for an injury prone headcase. No he is not a swiss army knife. He lines up in the backfield and takes a toss. Thats not a real RB. He cant take the punishment. Hes a shrimp. I would love to see him take a toss against the niners.... career over.

I said swiss army knife as a play on Harbaugh concerning Delanie but I was getting at his versatility and that he lines up everywhere and contributes even on special teams. He ain't military like D Love but he is a utility guy. I just don't think he is a stud WR, the position he is being paid dearly to play. I don't see him dominating outside in the traditional sense
Really don't like this comparison because they'll have Harvin a lot longer than we'll have Boldin. I'm just glad Boldin cost us next to nothing to acquire.
[ Edited by SFrush on Mar 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:
Really don't like this comparison because they'll have Harvin a lot longer than we'll have Boldin. I'm just glad Boldin cost us next to nothing.

I am just glad they paid him like he was a real WR like Crabtree is. It is good that they tied that much long term money into a 5'11" WR when I know for a fact he is nothing like the next Marvin Harrison. BTW I think our pass catchers learn a good bit from Boldin this season. They need to learn how to win under duress and in tight quarters. Imagine if Vernon learned some more of this
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Mar 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM ]
On the days this Swiss army knife is not having a migraine, it will be busy using all the different parts dismantling the Seahawks locker room.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Really don't like this comparison because they'll have Harvin a lot longer than we'll have Boldin. I'm just glad Boldin cost us next to nothing.

I am just glad they paid him like he was a real WR like Crabtree is. It is good that they tied that much long term money into a 5'11" WR when I know for a fact he is nothing like the next Marvin Harrison. BTW I think our pass catchers learn a good bit from Boldin this season. They need to learn how to win under duress and in tight quarters. Imagine if Vernon learned some more of this

You're way too down on Harvin, saying he shouldn't be paid like a "real" WR or that he's not as valuable as Crabtree. Harvin is an extremely dynamic player. Let me guess, you're one of the 99% of Zoners with a draft crush on Tavon Austin? Well, Harvin is Austin with bigger muscles.

Harvin comes with a lot of risk, and they paid a draft premium to get him, but the bottom line is if the change of scenery keeps his attitude problems in check (and I suspect playing on an elite team will do that) he will be worth his contract numbers. Let's not forget how well he started 2012, and that was with Christian Ponder. After a few weeks, he was being bandied about in MVP discussions because of his versatility, and he was suddenly top 3 on everyone's fantasy WR rankings, which is a testament to his production.

You're right that Crabtree is a more traditional WR and has the potential to join the elite group this year. I expect both Harvin and Crabtree will be considered top 10 at their position.
Crabtree eventually will be, or already is better than Harvin. Adding a big time play maker in the red zone is exactly what we needed. To finally have that big body threat and guy to take the pressure off VD and Crabs should make this offense pretty damn scary. Crabtree(slowly) is just starting to hit his prime.

Also think AJ is going to come out and get a shot to play a Harvin type role. A lot of people question the pick, but maybe we reached for him knowing he was inexperienced. I don't think letting a rookie sit on the bench is necessarily a bad thing. I hope that's the case anyways. If he rides the pine again that was a pretty bad pick.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Mar 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM ]
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
You're way too down on Harvin, saying he shouldn't be paid like a "real" WR or that he's not as valuable as Crabtree. Harvin is an extremely dynamic player. Let me guess, you're one of the 99% of Zoners with a draft crush on Tavon Austin? Well, Harvin is Austin with bigger muscles.

Harvin comes with a lot of risk, and they paid a draft premium to get him, but the bottom line is if the change of scenery keeps his attitude problems in check (and I suspect playing on an elite team will do that) he will be worth his contract numbers. Let's not forget how well he started 2012, and that was with Christian Ponder. After a few weeks, he was being bandied about in MVP discussions because of his versatility, and he was suddenly top 3 on everyone's fantasy WR rankings, which is a testament to his production.

You're right that Crabtree is a more traditional WR and has the potential to join the elite group this year. I expect both Harvin and Crabtree will be considered top 10 at their position.

Uh uh, I'm not feeling Tavon and what it would take for us to move up from 31 to get him. I don't think he is the type of player that we need that high in the draft. I don't know if I can trust Tavon to hold up in this league at that pick. He does seem like a special player but I think we win in the trenches and could use help on DL and obviously we need help at S. But I just haven't been overly impressed with Harvin as a pure WR and he hasn't put together an All-Pro season yet at WR. Maybe he will with Wilson but who knows
Quite frankly, Harvin cant hold Boldin jock when it comes to receiving.

Sure he is more versitile, and sure he is younger, and Boldin is getting up there in age, But all one has to do is look at the receiving stats to see who the better WR is.

Harvin has never even broken 1000, Boldin has 5 1000+ yard seasons. Boldins average the last two seasons alone are higher than Harvin has ever had in his career. Harvin has a career average of 11.8 to boldins 13.2. Boldin has two 100+reception seasons.

Boldin has 10,000+ career receiving yards.

Its unlikely that Harvin, unless he for some reason dominates in the seahawk offense, ever even comes close to sniffing the #'s boldin has put up in his career.

Call me a homer, whatever, but Harvin, strictly speaking in terms of receivers, will never be the player Boldin is.
The Hawks trade for Harvin is a huge risk because of his off-field antics. No doubt he is a stud on the field and his injury issues have been blown out of proportion. But what I like more about the Boldin trade is he costs less in terms of $ and draft choices. Not to mention Boldin is more than capable of making plays on the field and is a great leader on and off. His intangibles are off the charts and he offers great versatility in this offense. I could see him taking Walker's role but utilized more as a receiver.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Sure he is more versitile, and sure he is younger, and Boldin is getting up there in age, But all one has to do is look at the receiving stats to see who the better WR is.

Harvin has never even broken 1000, Boldin has 5 1000+ yard seasons. Boldins average the last two seasons alone are higher than Harvin has ever had in his career. Harvin has a career average of 11.8 to boldins 13.2. Boldin has two 100+reception seasons.

Its unlikely that Harvin, unless he for some reason dominates in the seahawk offense, ever even comes close to sniffing the #'s boldin has put up in his career.

Call me a homer, whatever, but Harvin, strictly speaking in terms of receivers, will never be the player Boldin is.

Agree, bubble screens, dump offs and checkdowns don't impress me that much at split end and flanker. Not to say Harvin is a scrub because he is one of the most talented players in this league but he just hasn't produced as a WR to get Marvin Harrison money. I pay a guy like that, then I expect to look to him when I need a play and say Imma put the ball up and you go get it and I know that he will come through. The only guy on their team that did that for them last season was Golden Tate.
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Mar 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM ]

You hit the nail on the head. Harvin's value isn't because he is a receiver but instead that he is versatile. My question for Seahawks is why not trade up a few spots in first round to take Tavon Austin? Similar player who will cost less assets. Harvin's overall presence will be greater than Boldin's but in terms of being a receiver Boldin > Harvin. I also question how Harvin fits into Seattle's system. Seattle loves to pass outside the numbers with Rice and Tate. Harvin doesn't have Rice's height or Tate's ability to get up and grab the ball. Harvin will most likely be used in underneath patterns and screens much like Welker in New England.
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
You hit the nail on the head. Harvin's value isn't because he is a receiver but instead that he is versatile. My question for Seahawks is why not trade up a few spots in first round to take Tavon Austin? Similar player who will cost less assets. Harvin's overall presence will be greater than Boldin's but in terms of being a receiver Boldin > Harvin. I also question how Harvin fits into Seattle's system. Seattle loves to pass outside the numbers with Rice and Tate. Harvin doesn't have Rice's height or Tate's ability to get up and grab the ball. Harvin will most likely be used in underneath patterns and screens much like Welker in New England.

My friend that happens to be a Saints fan said the same thing. Boldin will do us some good but how exactly does Harvin fit in SEA offense. I will say though that I trust Bevell to figure something out

We would trade Boldin for Harvin.