There are 221 users in the forums

Glenn Dorsey is a better 3-4 DE than McDonald

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Gonna have to agree on this one. Tomsula will get him back to his LSU form.

He is in his LSU form. The problem is, he's now going up against NFL players, rather than lawyers and engineers.

and

@ Dorsey being better than McDonald
He is in his LSU form. The problem is, he's now going up against NFL players, rather than lawyers and engineers.

LOL....dude we're talking about the SEC, not the Ivy League.

He is going up against NFL players, rather than insurance and time-share salesmen. :P
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

LOL....dude we're talking about the SEC, not the Ivy League.

He is going up against NFL players, rather than insurance and time-share salesmen. :P

• dj43
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Empirically, Glenn Dorsey has had a better career than Ray McDonald since Dorsey came into the league in 2008. This is measured in +EPA per game. Throwing out Dorsey's shortened, awful 2012 season, Dorsey is far better.

with thaat being the case. What, exactly, is the plan?

This is absurd. Ray McDonald is actually one of the better ranked 3-4 DE's in the NFL. Dorsey is up there in terms of stopping the run but he basically finishes dead last among 3-4 DE's when it comes to generating pass-rush. As KC discovered, he's far more effective playing inside.

I spent a couple of hours at Chiefs Planet tonight on the Dorsey thread. Majority of Chief fans felt he would have been much better as a DT in a 4-3. They were discussing the possibility that the 49ers would move him to NT in the base and DT in the nickel and dime sets where he would be much more effective than the way Crennell tried to use him the last three years.

Everybody over there seemed to like him. They just felt he was misused in KC.
Dorsey will make a bigger impact on this defense than Mac will this upcoming season.
he has to prove that he's better than R mac.

Dorsey is piss poor on rushing the passer (mcdonald excels in that when healhty/fresh)
Originally posted by dj43:
I spent a couple of hours at Chiefs Planet tonight on the Dorsey thread. Majority of Chief fans felt he would have been much better as a DT in a 4-3. They were discussing the possibility that the 49ers would move him to NT in the base and DT in the nickel and dime sets where he would be much more effective than the way Crennell tried to use him the last three years.

Thanks for taking the time to see what Chief fans, who watched Dorsey for 4 years think about him.

I really like him one-gaping at DT on passing downs. I think we will get more pass rush up the middle with him on passing downs.
Originally posted by matt49er:

This is absurd. Ray McDonald is actually one of the better ranked 3-4 DE's in the NFL. Dorsey is up there in terms of stopping the run but he basically finishes dead last among 3-4 DE's when it comes to generating pass-rush. As KC discovered, he's far more effective playing inside.

This, Ray Mac is awesome and goes unnoticed on this star studded D. I think Dorsey is being brought in to play NT, maybe the new RJF but I have a suspicion he's our new Soap

Pretty sure Ian Williams is going to play NT, Dorsey is going to be Justin Smith on the other side, opening up the lane for Brooks. Or the other way around... Williams on the outside, Dorsey in the middle.

We don't rely on our DL to get sacks. We use them to open up holes and protect our LBs.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Mar 14, 2013 at 2:05 AM ]
I like this signing, Cheaper, younger than issac, also think he will play nose he was always over the center in college i think he will fill at home. Him and Ian should rotate at nose, also maybe a draft pick he also can rotate in behind ray and justin... Issac sucks i hated him anyone would have been a upgrade.

I think he will compete at both DE and NT. He was brought in to add depth and possibly start at NT if he can beat out Ian Williams. Also, we need a NT that can occupy two blockers, Soap wasn't doing that, if we can get that out of Williams or Dorsey we are golden!
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Mar 14, 2013 at 3:17 AM ]
This is such an exciting b signing. We have a grear coaching staff that will bring out the best in him. He was drafted 3rd overall. He never lived up to where he picked but he's by no means awful. People expect splash plays out of a 3rd overall pick. I think we're getting a run down DE. He won't be expected to rush the passer but lord I'm hoping a change of scenery, new coach, and reduced pressure opens him up.
All I know is he's a better DT than he is a DE, but is willing to play anywhere...exactly the kind of player Fangio wants. Add another "big" in the draft and our DL should be set. FWIW, I think Philly really overpaid to get Sopoaga...but that's their business. I like the Dorsey signing a lot.
  • dj43
Originally posted by mebemused:

Thanks for taking the time to see what Chief fans, who watched Dorsey for 4 years think about him.

I really like him one-gaping at DT on passing downs. I think we will get more pass rush up the middle with him on passing downs.

He never fulfilled Chief's hopes of a pass rusher. He was a very solid run defender - difficult to move out of the hole. Able to get off blocks well. Hope was that he would become a Jared Allen-type pass rusher, which would have been a very high achievement since Allen is still one of the better pass rushers in the league. Still, the big problem seemed to be that Romeo Crennell's system just did not fit the talent well.

The Chiefs have a good deal of young talent on defense (offense is also better than their record) but the never jelled. Of course when the QB position is a turnover machine it can be discouraging for the defense.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
He never fulfilled Chief's hopes of a pass rusher. He was a very solid run defender - difficult to move out of the hole. Able to get off blocks well. Hope was that he would become a Jared Allen-type pass rusher, which would have been a very high achievement since Allen is still one of the better pass rushers in the league. Still, the big problem seemed to be that Romeo Crennell's system just did not fit the talent well.

The Chiefs have a good deal of young talent on defense (offense is also better than their record) but the never jelled. Of course when the QB position is a turnover machine it can be discouraging for the defense.

Jared Allen type of rusher? Dorsey was never that guy. Even if Dorsey exceeded his potential, he was not going to be Jared Allen. Jared Allen is 6'5 - 6'6 275lb guy. The comparison is absurd.
Share 49ersWebzone