LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Why do the 49ers "NEED" a big receiver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We have a big receiver in Boldin. Yes, I know that his measurables aren't particularly noteworthy, but he's as physical as they come & does a great job of coming up with 50/50 balls. Isn't that the basis of the whole lust behind having a "big" receiver?

I'd love to have a speed guy in the slot. IMO, what we lack is someone who can blow the top off of the defense.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Mar 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
We have a big receiver in Boldin. Yes, I know that his measurables aren't particularly noteworthy, but he's as physical as they come & does a great job of coming up with 50/50 balls. Isn't that the basis of the whole lust behind having a "big" receiver?

I'd love to have a speed guy in the slot. IMO, what we lack is someone who can blow the top off of the defense.

That's what Jenkins is supposed to be. We'll see how it all comes together, but we should have a potent WR corp, if manningham returns to form.
I think the big receiver is a bit overrated. I'd rather have a tight route running speedster who can break it (like Cruz). And let's not forget, we have Vernon Davis. TE or WR, he should be the red zone option with his size/strength/athleticism.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good post. But just look at our own team and our history. Jerry Rice and John Taylor were the two biggest WR's in the game and they needed it to run a WCO (blocking, run across the middle, take hits, box-out, etc.).

Also, look at our micro-WR's...Jenkins can't crack the lineup, Williams and Manningham both hurt (blocking).

And look at Boldin...who abused our secondary by boxing-out small CB's esp. on 3rd downs.

That said, Boldin is a perfect fit for our offense...on 3rd downs, will take up passes that normally would have gone to Walker, can block down field, catch across the middle, is a great RZ threat, can box-out, etc.

Oh and Crabtree couldn't do anything against a physical secondary in the NFCCG and we play Seattle x2 a year. We need guys who can out-muscle the opposition again.
Perfectly said....
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
I think the big receiver is a bit overrated. I'd rather have a tight route running speedster who can break it (like Cruz). And let's not forget, we have Vernon Davis. TE or WR, he should be the red zone option with his size/strength/athleticism.

hopefully Kaep knows he can trust him now. he wasnt throwin to davis much in the regular season but seemed to find him more often in the playoffs. Crabs and Boldin out wide, Jenkins and manningham as the quick speedy little a*****es inside, VD being a beast pretty much anywhere and all the RBs we have a pretty potent looking offense for Kaep to take advantage of. i still hope we draft a WR in the early to mid rounds and a big possession/blocking TE to replace walker but we seem to have good weapons in place
We don't need a big wr, we need a solid #2 pass catching TE doe
  • Envy
  • Veteran
We need a big WR because at present we don't have one. You get me? The threat of a weapon is almost as effective as using it.

Right now we have average height WRs who ARE skilled but every year are going against more improving defenders. Look at the development in the West this season and all the better defences we faced.

Do you think if we had a Brandon Marshall or Jimmy Graham we would have had so many brain farts in the red zone? Think of it this way. If Ed Reed knew one of them was waiting to take the short pop pass from Kaep do you think he would have still blitzed? He might of but then he would more likely have throught twice about it which is exactly the reason we need one.

Now that being said we're the 49ers and we would need to find a value player. How many of them are in this draft with the dimensions we need is debatable. Although if we don't pick one up now I still see us going for one in the future.
[ Edited by Envy on Mar 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM ]
I still think that LMJ should have been playing slot for half of the plays and certainly in the RZ. I am assuming that is what AJ will do this yr, but if not, Move LMJ to slot for 3rd downs and RZ....plus other times just to keep the D honest.
  • dj43
Why?

Because you cannot "coach up" big.

Baalke tried to get bigger last season by signing Moss but he had nothing left.

Now he trades for Boldin, who plays big.

Still looking. I expect to see TB grab a 6'3"+ guy in the first three rounds. This team still needs talent at WR.

Crabtree can jump but doesn't seem to be able to outmuscle the tough physical CBs around the league.
I wouldn't say we're stacked at receiver...at all. We're in much better shape with Boldin, no doubt. When Manningham's back healthy, yeah, we'll be that much better. But, the BL is you never stop improving. That goes for receiver, too. This is a pretty good draft for them, and I fully expect Baalke to grab one. The guy I love is Marcus Davis from Va Tech. Even without anything close to stellar QB play, he put up some impressive numbers and is an outright beast at 6-4, 230 and ran a 4.45 X 40. He could in essence replace Walker.

• mod
  • Veteran
At this point I want receivers that put up yards and TD's... dont care about size, all about production.
  • Jiks
If we had Bolidin, or any legit big bodied WR for the last 4 plays of the SB we would have won. Now we have that.
We need a bIG, fast, WR who can catch.

Add that to our arsenal and we will handle any D in football.

We don't lack RB, small WR, possession receivers and OLine.

Boldin is an excellent addition BUTTTT he is here for a year playing at a high level. Maybe 2? Get a big, fast WR now and slowly work him into the JH scheme.
Share 49ersWebzone