LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 402 users in the forums

Why do the 49ers "NEED" a big receiver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
To answer your original question, I think the lust for a tall receiver comes from their ability to high point balls thrown above everybody else. The prototypes for this kind of tall receiver, most of which are also big, would be Marques Colston, Roddy White; and TEs, Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski. They can get jump balls that DBs just can't get high enough to reach.

Receivers around 6', the size of DBs, can't jump any higher than the DB, hence the jump ball is up for grabs. Big strong, but not tall receivers, like Bolden can take the ball away from the DB because of their superior arm and hand strength and the ability to box out the DB with their body.

Little receivers, don't have to fight for jump balls because they get separation out of their breaks.

With Walker gone, might be time to draft a tall TE.
Originally posted by mebemused:
To answer your original question, I think the lust for a tall receiver comes from their ability to high point balls thrown above everybody else. The prototypes for this kind of tall receiver, most of which are also big, would be Marques Colston, Roddy White; and TEs, Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski. They can get jump balls that DBs just can't get high enough to reach.

Receivers around 6', the size of DBs, can't jump any higher than the DB, hence the jump ball is up for grabs. Big strong, but not tall receivers, like Bolden can take the ball away from the DB because of their superior arm and hand strength and the ability to box out the DB with their body.

Little receivers, don't have to fight for jump balls because they get separation out of their breaks.

With Walker gone, might be time to draft a tall TE.

I think they are simply looking for size/speed athletes that coaches feel may improve with coaching. They are probably worried about receivers not beating the jam and receivers not being able to create separation. Based on results, the hit ratio seems to be lower for WR's than for other positions.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:41 AM ]
Simple, brings physicality, grit, and toughness to the WR core that other teams will have to take notice of. Especially since we play seattle twice and need to slap those corners in the mouth a little and let em know they're not gonna push our WR's around because well....they did.
Boldin and Crabtree are big chain moving receivers ...now all we need is some speed in the slot /middle of the field ...then again we already have THE DUKE
Best WR's of all-time, are big bodied. TO, Moss, Jerry Rice(6'2 was monster size for his day). Calvin Johnson. Big bodies receivers are more durable and last a decade easily while small receivers have 1-2 explosive seasons tips. Minus welker. We've been in desperation for a fast big bodied WR for a decade now since TO left. I loathe the fact we didn't draft Stephen Hill(6'4 215lbs 4.3 40yd dash). Instead we went with the small am Jenkins.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good post. But just look at our own team and our history. Jerry Rice and John Taylor were the two biggest WR's in the game and they needed it to run a WCO (blocking, run across the middle, take hits, box-out, etc.).

Also, look at our micro-WR's...Jenkins can't crack the lineup, Williams and Manningham both hurt (blocking).

And look at Boldin...who abused our secondary by boxing-out small CB's esp. on 3rd downs.

That said, Boldin is a perfect fit for our offense...on 3rd downs, will take up passes that normally would have gone to Walker, can block down field, catch across the middle, is a great RZ threat, can box-out, etc.

Oh and Crabtree couldn't do anything against a physical secondary in the NFCCG and we play Seattle x2 a year. We need guys who can out-muscle the opposition again.

This is a good response. I'll also add that height is not everything, strength is equally important. What we NEED, is a split-end with strength to beat the jam at the line-of-scrimmage and the quickness to separate past 5 yards.

Height would be an added plus... especially since we don't have anybody taller than 6'1" at WR. But it isn't essential.
We love to run the ball and size at receiver not only helps with throwing some jump balls, yAC, and durability, it helps with running the ball.
I completely disagree, i think we're set at wr with Boldin and Crabs... hoping Jenkins can develop into that deep threat we desperately need. Jenkins and Mike Wallace are almost identical in size, Wallace maybe a tad faster. Position where i would prefer size is the 2nd TE, we have VD who can stretch the field but if we
get a guy like Ertz or Eifert, our TD ratio in the redzone will def go up.
Originally posted by kam_niners1:
I completely disagree, i think we're set at wr with Boldin and Crabs... hoping Jenkins can develop into that deep threat we desperately need. Jenkins and Mike Wallace are almost identical in size, Wallace maybe a tad faster. Position where i would prefer size is the 2nd TE, we have VD who can stretch the field but if we

We only have Boldin for 1 year. So our starters may be set for 1 year (assuming Jenkins progresses). But we wouldn't have any depth. Williams is coming of an ACL and Mario may never play again. And how long do you think it takes to develop a rookie WR? Jenkins did nothing in year 1. Crabtree didn't flourish until just recently.

We are not set. Not by a long shot.
A BIG, strong and fast WR will give us another dimention to our game plan.

Not a necessity BUT we would be a better team with one.

Put it this way; how much better would we be w/ a Calvin, Fitzgerald [you pick another Big, Strong, fast WR].

Man, all our receivers would have better numbers and overall production. Our running game would be better because of their blocking ability and drawing double coverage.

Yeah, let's get us a Big, strong, fast WR. Did I mention - one who could catch very well.

Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by kam_niners1:

We only have Boldin for 1 year. So our starters may be set for 1 year (assuming Jenkins progresses). But we wouldn't have any depth. Williams is coming of an ACL and Mario may never play again. And how long do you think it takes to develop a rookie WR? Jenkins did nothing in year 1. Crabtree didn't flourish until just recently.

We are not set. Not by a long shot.

I meant for the upcoming year... we need to find out what we can get outta Jenkins, cant keep drafting and pushing him to the back of the line! Manningham restructured his deal, so hes in.
We could also use a receiver that can stretch the field. We need a very fast receiver with great hands. Could that be Victor Cruz? What would Eddie D. do? Do what ever it takes to win.
let's trade all of our picks for MEGATRON!

do eets Harbaws do eets, does a ditka!
Because "experts" dont know sh*t about the 49ers. Only listen to the local bay area journalists such as Matt Maiocco, Tim Kawakami, Matt Barrows, Mindi Bach, etc.

Those are the people who spend all their time analyzing this team in and out. Experts for networks such as NFLN and ESPN are supposed to "cover" every team, and highlight the hot topics as much as possible until things change. Thats why everything they analyze about teams is at face value. They dont delve very deep into the details because they have a different set of things they are supposed to cover.

EDIT: At least from what I've noticed (as a sports journalist myself) ^
[ Edited by Kronos2560 on Mar 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
To survive against the Seahawks DB's

We need bigger WR's because we run the ball so damn much.... Who's AJJenkins gonna block? Sherman? HA!
Share 49ersWebzone