There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Possible Replacements for FS

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Since when is less than $1 million a huge cap hit?

You're not talking about Whitner are you?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,944
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Well Whitner isn't going anywhere because of dead money. We're simply not going to find a better cheaper player that's going come in and play for a contract that's so cheap it offsets Whitner's dead money and a starter's contract. It's interesting how Whitner's play corresponds to injuries to the DL. 49ers will spend their resources in the lines. Especially since in our defense FS and SS are interchangeable. This is why we don't value Goldson IMHO as much as other teams might.
the injuries on the d line , in my opinion, had zero to do with how poor whitner was in pass coverage. he just did not suck ass in the super bowl. he was like that all year long and in my opinion he does not or should not think he has that job locked up.. i think you get the guy from the cardinals, draft a rookie and you just got better in that area

Hey cciowa! Long time no see man.

You're probably correct on the play. The problem still is dead money. Even if you draft a rook who plays as well, you still owe Whitner too much dead money. It almost guarantees him a roster spot.
oh i have been around! some say around the bend! whitner played like he was dead from the neck up last year and in the super bowl. i understand you are not going to cut whitner but i would like to think, unless a miracle happens and he improves in pass coverage,, a good rookie can push him big time. I know its not 1981 and i no longer have my 1979 camero and fu manchu however we have started the right kind of rookies in the secondary before and it worked out well
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,944
Originally posted by NinerGM:
But it didn't work 2 seasons ago ... which tells me there has to be something to the DL issue. I'm not saying it fixes everything, but the entire secondary has played less effective. Picks were way down too.

well of course you are right about the d line,, if the first three picks are not spent on d line and secondary there should be a senate investigation. even if we sign a nice free agent d line guy in day two or three, we have got to draft some studs and justins replacement on the d line
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Well Whitner isn't going anywhere because of dead money. We're simply not going to find a better cheaper player that's going come in and play for a contract that's so cheap it offsets Whitner's dead money and a starter's contract. It's interesting how Whitner's play corresponds to injuries to the DL. 49ers will spend their resources in the lines. Especially since in our defense FS and SS are interchangeable. This is why we don't value Goldson IMHO as much as other teams might.
the injuries on the d line , in my opinion, had zero to do with how poor whitner was in pass coverage. he just did not suck ass in the super bowl. he was like that all year long and in my opinion he does not or should not think he has that job locked up.. i think you get the guy from the cardinals, draft a rookie and you just got better in that area

Hey cciowa! Long time no see man.

You're probably correct on the play. The problem still is dead money. Even if you draft a rook who plays as well, you still owe Whitner too much dead money. It almost guarantees him a roster spot.

Do you guys even read the posts in here? We would SAVE 4.1M by cutting Whitner. Save. Not dead money. Save money. Understand?
If i read Ninercaphell.com (an awesome site by AB) correctly, the cap hit for releasing whitner would be $833,334 and save us 4 mil
[ Edited by NinerFan408 on Mar 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM ]
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
I think we will resign Goldson. I think Goldson will sign with us at a discount and have a good chance of winning the Super Bowl instead of signing with a lower tier team and having no chance at winning a bowl. Plus, this is a deep draft for safety's I think most team would rather build thru the draft.

Goldson taking a super bowl over money.....
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by TheRambler:
lol wtf. Hey guys let's release our SS who started in the Pro Bowl.

You do realize that Pro-Bowl safety allowed the MOST TD's out of ANY safety in the league during the regular season and playoffs with 12.

Being a Pro-Bowl player means absolutly nothing regarding how good a player actually is.

Very true, he was the worst db in the nfl in coverage, and even though he is good against the run, obviously that matters less and less every year that goes by in an increasingly passing league.

So YES let's release our SS who started in the pro bowl......I'm so glad he is not in charge of our team.......hell, let's get a pro bowl LT in Bushrod on the saints bc he went to the probowl, even though he is average at best.....wow logic has left the building.
Wilson from the cards would be an upgrade over whitner
Goldson should have just signed the nice contract we offered him last year. He is good in our defense; If he goes to another team he won't be as good; he best get alot of guaranteed money...
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Goldson should have just signed the nice contract we offered him last year. He is good in our defense; If he goes to another team he won't be as good; he best get alot of guaranteed money...

This. Look at nnamdi asamouah(sp?) the guy is either takin a pay cut or gettin the boot and people were slobbin on his knob two years ago.

In my opinion If goldson leaves he's played his last probowl. And won't be getting any rings
Whitner is overrated in run support and we saw how well he "got guys into position" in the playoffs. He is a liability on defense and needs to be treated as such. Let him go.
CJ Spillman will be the man.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Beezy33:
Why does everyone want Reed? I know he's a good player, but if anything, he is questionable with late hits and/or fines just like our current FS.

Isn't he similar to Goldson, but older? He isn't going to be much cheaper than Goldson, so I think the chances of him signing in SF are slim.

Anyone who wants Reed sees him as a stop gap measure until a draft choice is capable of taking over the position. Both Reed and the draft choice are cheaper than Goldson alone.

For example...sign Reed and draft Cyprien to groom. If that pick is a first rounder,he'll get a 5 year deal that is FAR cheaper then what Goldson wants. If its a second round or later player, it'll be a 4 year deal.

That frees up money to resign key players and extend your championship window.


I would agree with this if Reed is looking for far less than $8M/yr that Goldson is seeking. We just can't put more money into the FS position, because we won't be able to do much in FA or extend the offense when it comes time. Some hard decisions are coming, but I'll stick with my gut that says Goldson is byebye and Reed won't sign in SF. Baalke will draft a FS and use Spillman/Robinson/McBath as 1-2 year stop gaps and pay for pass rushers instead.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Wilson from the cards would be an upgrade over whitner


He's on my SF team in Madden

The downside is he gets hurt a lot on that game wtf
[ Edited by Beezy33 on Mar 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM ]
Jamal Taylor as FS and J Banks at LCB ...
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home