There are 50 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How important is Delanie Walker to the 49ers?

He drops the ball a lot, he's hurt a lot and he he's really short. He's totally overrated. We can do without him.
He's our jack of all trades
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Man, I can't wait until March 12.
Beast blocker. Some of the most important blocks in a lot of big run plays.

If Harbaugh likes , I like.
Delanie Walker is the reason we run our offense. Without him our 2TE sets are done, period. People who cry about his drop rate aren't looking at the big picture. We can't afford to pay him #1TE money but it's going to be a big loss.
Originally posted by SmileyJetson:
Delanie Walker is the reason we run our offense. Without him our 2TE sets are done, period. People who cry about his drop rate aren't looking at the big picture. We can't afford to pay him #1TE money but it's going to be a big loss.

No way. If we get a 6'6" TE who can block and catch that will replace him. We may lose some speed but gain height, hands and reach and drive blocking. We got speed with VD.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM ]
Delanie is a tough call. Our team is in dire need of help at DL, S, CB, WR, OLB and we need quality at these positions. Tight end is not a top priority. So if we are picking a TE with one of the later picks we won't be able to get anybody better than Delanie Walker.

Assuming we can land him for a decent price we can live with his pass drops. Delanie is afterall a Swiss Army Knife for this team in that he fills does a lot of dirty work that would be missed if he leaves.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Mar 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM ]
we can draft a TE who actually has the size of a TE. delanie is just a heavier WR whos a great blocker with bad hands. so like arnaz battle with no hands and a heavier frame. i think we can do a lot better. draft a 6'3"+ TE who can block and find the soft spots in the zone. the draft should be full of em. delanie is a great blocker but hes gonna want starter money for some reason and u cant pay a blocking TE that kind of money and stay successful for too long. thats too much money to tie up in him.if hes down to stay in his role and be relatively cheap fine but if he wants 3 or 4 mil to block, let him walk lol
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm conflicted on this. I'd like to see them use most of their picks to fix the defensive line depth and add safety and corner talent, but there are a couple of TE's there that they could get who would be tall guys with better hands than Walker. I'd just like Walker to catch the damn ball. I'm still bitter about that Rams game in St. Louis. Walker does everything real well except catching the ball consistently.
Don't forget quite a few costly fumbles in year's past. I recognize the speed, versatility, and blocking skill he brings are near impossible to replace, but a taller more natural pass catcher at TE2 would present defenses with a different set of problems, especially in the red zone. I for one am hoping we don't re-sign him unless it's at a bargain price, and we draft a TE or even two.
at a fair price yes, his speed creates a lot of problems for defenses, but lets not kid ourselves he isn't vernon davis.

LOL.....tad bit dramatic no?

Fact is, Delanie Walker can be replaced, he's solid, not spectacular, if he's gone, the 49ers will simply draft another safety, plug him into the #2 TE spot and keep rolling. If anything, a TE replacing him might actually be a viable threat on offense, especially in the red-zone. Delanie is the beneficiary of soft coverage a lot because they know he can't f**king catch the ball. He literally drops 30% of all passes thrown in his direction.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

LOL.....tad bit dramatic no?

Fact is, Delanie Walker can be replaced, he's solid, not spectacular, if he's gone, the 49ers will simply draft another safety, plug him into the #2 TE spot and keep rolling. If anything, a TE replacing him might actually be a viable threat on offense, especially in the red-zone. Delanie is the beneficiary of soft coverage a lot because they know he can't f**king catch the ball. He literally drops 30% of all passes thrown in his direction.

So who sets the value for him in the market? Another team or us? What they are willing to pay and allow us to counter or do we throw our top number at him and see what others do....A la New England and Dashon Goldson
Yeah, that's overstating his importance in the system. Walker is absolutely not "the reason we run our offense." There are at least two viable alternatives in the second round of the draft who have similar speed and are very tall (both are 6'6"). And Celek is also a good blocker who is already on the roster. And, I agree with SammyFrancisco above - either of those 6'6" guys are natural pass catchers with good hands and would give Kaepernick another advantage in the red zone.

And, I have to point this out - "cry about his drop rate"??!! Dude, he has the biggest drop rate for his position in the league. He's a receiver. When Kaepernick floats a perfect pass into his hands to win the Rams game, he's got to make that catch because HE'S A RECEIVER! I don't care how many blocks he throws - his main job is to catch the ball when it is thrown to him. Blocking is icing on the cake, but if it's a crappy tasting cake, the icing doesn't help that much.
Overrated by the media underrated by 49ers fans.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Overrated by the media underrated by 49ers fans.

Well put! I think he's very good at what he does. I just don't think he's absolutely essential to the system and because of his drop rate, I wouldn't mind them going with a more natural pass catcher with some good height opposite Davis. I'd like a more explosive offense.