LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

Special Teams a Glaring Weakness

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Too bad we cant get these guys back
Yeah specail teams took 4 steps backwards. Let's not forget that Rams game debacle. 2 fake punts and Ackers missing everything.
Honey Badger fixes this problem
the only name to know.....

Ace Sanders
Originally posted by jreff22:
the only name to know.....

Ace Sanders

This I like how he has been training with Kaep also... Good replacement for Ginn
Shamarko Thomas in the later rounds, like a more improved version of Colin Jones, one that could actually contribute on defense too.
Read the Kassim Osgood article. Really excited about special teams this year. We signed 3 key guys and already had a decent unit. Have a feeling our special teams will force offenses to drive 70+ and defenses to defense -70 yards. If they can do that game in and game out, we should dominate the other two phases.

"Special teams is that dagger you have in that sheath behind your back when you have the broad sword, and you're swinging that big sword," he told Scout.com. "And suddenly they have you unarmed and suddenly you pull that dagger out and you get them."
They've got lots of speedy, tough new guys ready to cover kicks.
Akers is not going to be there tanking kicks right and left.
LaMichael James is a year better at returning kicks.
There's no way the Rams are going to do that fake punt thing again on them.

I think this concern might be a little premature. Let's see the first couple of games before we draw conclusions on this year's special teams.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Read the Kassim Osgood article. Really excited about special teams this year. We signed 3 key guys and already had a decent unit. Have a feeling our special teams will force offenses to drive 70+ and defenses to defense -70 yards. If they can do that game in and game out, we should dominate the other two phases.

"Special teams is that dagger you have in that sheath behind your back when you have the broad sword, and you're swinging that big sword," he told Scout.com. "And suddenly they have you unarmed and suddenly you pull that dagger out and you get them."

LMAO!!! I read this and couldn't stop laughing!!! What is he talking about?
Originally posted by NCommand:

World of Warcraft? Assassin's Creed? Lord of the Rings?

Whatever he means it's a pretty damn cool-sounding analogy.
I think our ST will be a feared force that opponents will have to seriously game-plan for.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think our ST will be a feared force that opponents will have to seriously game-plan for.

Coverage looks good. Dawson "has" to be better. Cox looked better than James (seems more explosive) but don't feel like we have that reliable stud back there who can take it to the house every time he touches the ball.

What is your assessment of preseason game 1? Dawson, a bit of a surprise on the miss (not really concerned though); on special teams some really nice tackles, but also a big return. Inconsistent? And was there anything offensively? I saw Chad Hall hang on to the ball nicely as he was getting creamed. But not much in the way of yardage? What do you think? Is it fair to judge preseason?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Coverage looks good. Dawson "has" to be better. Cox looked better than James (seems more explosive) but don't feel like we have that reliable stud back there who can take it to the house every time he touches the ball.
sounds like they already looked better in one pre season game than they did all of last year
Share 49ersWebzone