There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What Alex Smith Trade Means Cap Wise (Webzone Exclusive)

Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I admit I was wrong man. I didn't think we would make out this well. Glad I am wrong for once.

Revis is possible now. Possibly pick 31 and 61 would do it. I wouldn't do a 16M a yr deal, if he is willing to front load it for 2013, and then maybe in 2015, but also friendly cap wise, to make it so we can safe guard in case of decline, I am all for it.

Your not the only one "manning up". I have seen multiple people I highly respect their opinion, admitting that thought we would get less. And those who guessed right..... crowing about it. Uneducated lucky guesses are worthless. In every case I have seen, it has been one with lots of zeal for Alex. Their logic is this: Conventional Wisdom was Alex is worth a third or fourth, "but I really like Alex and think he is worth more so I will say ..... a 2nd".

• That ignores the awful draft for QBs
  • That ignores the awful FA QB market
  • That ignores the key, which was how the GMs feel about the draft and FAs. How many are willing to bid on Alex? That was the key and none of those who predicted right, discussed this main factor. It would be a tough sell to KC that we would keep Alex. And also a tough sell to convince we would trade to Ariz. Negotiations like this are all about leverage. Two teams would have had to be involved, to get this much and that would be the key to a intelligent prediction. I still find it hard to be thinking that was Oakland. The details of this I will find intriguing.

So I for one am more impressed with those who "were wrong" than those who were right.

I think most thought a 2nd was being too realistic. Especially a high 2nd, 34th pick and a 3rd which can become a 2 in 2014 is unbelievable.

I think for one, I would never do this trade if I am KC, you got Nick Foles available for same price. Great contract, young, knows Reid obviously. Then there is the draft. Lets say Geno Smith is the 1st pick quality come april, and he gets passed over by many teams, ala Aaron Rodgers, and you have Alex, near 30 now, for what 5-7 years at most of good productivity. I would feel for the KC fans. Alex isn't gonna win a championship, not with Peyton Manning in the same division anyway.

I will say Alex will have weapons, especially if Bowe returns. I hope the best for him. I dont have hatred like many do for him. I believe he was a bust for being the top pick and only 1 playoff win in 8 years. And he spent 1 season with an shoulder injury for the entire season. But Alex will have protection, with Luke Joeckel, he should be the top pick, he has it all, pass and run blocking, just all around premier LT. Brandon Albert is a good RT, so they need to retain him. If I am Alex, I sign a long term deal with KC, lower my salary, cause before the deal they have 15M in cap room, so they are gonna eat up 9.75m on Alex. So redo your deal, get a larger signing bonus, I mean he is THE GUY in KC, and help get Albert and Bowe back. Draft a QB in rd 3 or 4, someone to be the backup, with that chance to start in future.

But I wish Alex the best, hope he does well, especially for the conditional 3rd to turn into a 2nd.

On the trade part, having 5 of first 93 picks is great. And to have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and another 2nd or 3rd in 2014 will help
I think most thought a 2nd was being too realistic. Especially a high 2nd, 34th pick and a 3rd which can become a 2 in 2014 is unbelievable.

I think for one, I would never do this trade if I am KC, you got Nick Foles available for same price. Great contract, young, knows Reid obviously. Then there is the draft. Lets say Geno Smith is the 1st pick quality come april, and he gets passed over by many teams, ala Aaron Rodgers, and you have Alex, near 30 now, for what 5-7 years at most of good productivity. I would feel for the KC fans. Alex isn't gonna win a championship, not with Peyton Manning in the same division anyway.

I think the fact that Reid knows Foles so well and decided to pass on him speaks to how much he likes Alex Smith and how much he doesn't like Nick Foles.

He knows what Foles can do in the offense and he chose Smith at a higher price to be the guy instead.
[ Edited by redrathman on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM ]
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redrathman:

I think the fact that Reid knows Foles so well and decided to pass on him speaks to how much he likes Alex Smith and how much he doesn't like Nick Foles.

He knows what Foles can do in offense and he chose Smith at a higher price to be the guy instead.

Good point.
Originally posted by dj43:

He knows what Foles can do in offense and he chose Smith at a higher price to be the guy instead.

Good point.
True, add in Alex will have a good oline a strong running game, and a good possesion wr if bow,and a good offensive minded head coach like Jim wow that sounds like the same team as the niners.Everyone says andy loves the deep ball not so true, actually he likes the shot to inter routes thrown with accuracy and he's already had the deep ball inaccurate qb in vick and it cost him his job. Maybe this time around he's going to play it safe and get a qb who throw this time.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Feb 28, 2013 at 4:08 AM ]
This forum has always been off it's rocker with regard to ASmith compensation. Never understood it. If KC goes 9-7 next year, no playoffs, a couple of second rounders will seem like the steal of the century. For them. A stabilizing QB for two draft spots that are low percentage to produce impact players? Am I the only one scratching my head here?
I don't get the hate from outside either. Reid knows what he has and what he wants. I don't understand how people gloss over that. Hell he made Kolb look like a star. Now look at Kolb.
Originally posted by kingairta:
I don't get the hate from outside either. Reid knows what he has and what he wants. I don't understand how people gloss over that. Hell he made Kolb look like a star. Now look at Kolb.

Reid tricked everyone with his QBs ..even the Eagles franchise
Value is what the market gives you at a certain point of time.
TB made a good job if he found the best value for alex
I think he did
Plus the cap effect

But know comes the second part : using your draft picks wisely and keeping your salary cap in check
Let's see how TB does that and we'll know in a few years if this was after all a good job on his part

Freeing some $ is always good.... Gives us more flexibility
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
This forum has always been off it's rocker with regard to ASmith compensation. Never understood it. If KC goes 9-7 next year, no playoffs, a couple of second rounders will seem like the steal of the century. For them. A stabilizing QB for two draft spots that are low percentage to produce impact players? Am I the only one scratching my head here?

This is a little bit of perspective. When you get a QB and you are right, the price you pay really doesn't matter. I think you speaking of Kansas City going 9-7 next year isn't that far off of the mark. I would go so far as to say 10-6 is possible. They play in the AFC West with two teams on the downtrend (Oakland and San Diego). They also get to play bottom feeder teams like Jacksonville (considering we also play the AFC South, I can imagine the comparisons of how Alex Smith does against them and how Colin Kaepernick does against them), Buffalo, Cleveland, etc. A winning record with the talent they already have isn't that farfetched.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Sources: The @NFL salary cap has been sent to clubs. It is set at $123 million. Up from $120.6M
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by dj43:

Good point.
True, add in Alex will have a good oline a strong running game, and a good possesion wr if bow,and a good offensive minded head coach like Jim wow that sounds like the same team as the niners.Everyone says andy loves the deep ball not so true, actually he likes the shot to inter routes thrown with accuracy and he's already had the deep ball inaccurate qb in vick and it cost him his job. Maybe this time around he's going to play it safe and get a qb who throw this time.

KC also has a very promising second WR in Jon Baldwin. 6'4" 230 he is the exact mold for the receiver the 49ers need.
I predicted a 3rd rounder in the FA section under "Predictions". I hoped for better BUT never thought we get this much.

In Niner lore it will go down as "The Trade" and if Baalke does great in the draft will be remembered like the Hershell Walker trade in Dalls. That made their dynasty.

Sure, Reid could have taken Foles BUT he wanted Alex instead which means he believs Alex is MUCH better.

They have a legit shot at the playoffs. Long season, injuries and there is still FA. They don't have the D the Broncos have yet anything is possible.