There are 269 users in the forums

Who Should We Retain?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Walker can walk. Like to keep goldson but not for 60 million will see if he's come down in price. Like to Ricky we need to keep him he's younger and should be cheaper in price than issac with the same production. Also we already need dline help losing him is just going to force us to get 3 guys in the draft and freeagency atleast. So keep him let Williams and Him and Rookie and a freeagent compete for starter and rotation.

Also P harlson needs to be cut! Along with some restuctered contracts for player named goodwin...

Why???? I hear this from a lot of people but have no clue why people want to cut a quality, veteran OLB that is great at stopping the run, knows the system and can be a quality sub to keep Aldon fresh.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Also P harlson needs to be cut! Along with some restuctered contracts for player named goodwin...

Glad you brought this one up...I forgot. Goodwin may be let go as well (for Looney/Kilgore) as his salary, per our boy AB, is $5,016,668. With CK's scramble ability, two vets next to him at LG/RG now and us running from the Q and shot gun, it might be time to go younger.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Why???? I hear this from a lot of people but have no clue why people want to cut a quality, veteran OLB that is great at stopping the run, knows the system and can be a quality sub to keep Aldon fresh.

I think the premise is that he's a good edge setter and run-plugger but offers no pass rush ability at all. Therefore, draft a lower round pick for that position and remember, both Fleming and Johnson are coming back as well. And his salary is $2,870,000 next year...way too high for a one-trick pony where Aldon would be taking most of those snaps anyway.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think the premise is that he's a good edge setter and run-plugger but offers no pass rush ability at all. Therefore, draft a lower round pick for that position and remember, both Fleming and Johnson are coming back as well. And his salary is $2,870,000 next year...way too high for a one-trick pony where Aldon would be taking most of those snaps anyway.
Thank you said it for me. 2.8 million for a guy coming off a injury and only stops the run... We have enough run stopers, we need guys who can rush the paser and are cheaper were tight against the cap and a player who doesn't play special teams and only stops the run isn't worth 2.8 he's worth closer to vet min and we can find a player in the draft who's got more upside at quarter of the price. As for goodwin weak link cost a lot he needs a cheaper deal and kilgore look solid and it's about time we start looking into a future at center. Also Justin could use a extend on his contact which could help increase cap room by lowering his cost for this season by moving some money to a later season.The cowboy can still play and losing him in the last few weeks of the season shows just how major the impact on defense is so that needs a extend for sure...
My prediction:

Alex Smith traded for a 2014 4th RD pick and maybe another later one

Moss goes somewhere else, as he seemed upset with his role during Super Bowl Week.

RJF gets over-paid a bit somewhere else forcing us to go in a different direction. I think hes a nice rotational guy, but someone will value him more then the 49ers will.

Cut David Akers

Either Re-structure Parys Haralson's contract or part ways with him

Same goes with Goodwin. Don't be shocked if he is released as the team is very high on Joe Looney who was taking snaps at center. One of the 49ers reporters said he looked great out there when he was practicing and fully healthy. Could be a nice secret for us to unleash next year. Also, we still have Kilgore as a backup at both guard spots plus probably a mid rounder OT this year.

I think we try and sign Goldson to a 4 year deal worth around 30 million. He wants 5 for 40, but I don't think he'll get that.

Carlos Rogers may take a pay-cut, but if not he will be released next year and give us some cap relief in 2014.

Soap might be brought back at a vet minimum, just for depth.

I think we draft a DL,WR,DL with our first 3 picks and don't be suprised if we move up considering how many draft picks we have. (Corner is an option as well although I think Perrish Cox is a great 4th CB and could step in in the Nickel if there were an injury)
AB, work your magic.

Playing GM, how would we look for salary cap (FA $) and draft with the following moves:

Cuts:
Alex (- $9,750,000) - gone; replaced by rookie
Rogers (- $7,344,531) (+ $9,000,000) - gone; replaced by top tier FA CB (e.g. Revis et al)
Goodwin (- $5,016,668) - gone; replaced by Looney/Kilgore
Manningham (- $4,950,000) - gone; injury settlement; replaced by AJ & Williams is back
Whitner
(- $4,933,333) - gone; replaced by Goldson (SS); FS battle = Spillman/Robinson/Culliver/high draft pick
Akers
(- $3,616,668) - gone; replaced by draft pick
Haralson
(- $2,870,000) - gone; replaced by draft pick and Johnson/Fleming
Soapoaga - gone; replaced by high draft pick
RJF - gone; replaced by Ian Williams
Moss - gone; replaced by Lockett and high draft pick

Retain:
Walker (+ $4,000,000) - signed to 2 year deal for 8 million? Is this realistic?
Goldson
(+ $7,250,000) - signed to 4 year 30 million
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM ]
Everyone is quick to dismiss Whitner but I don't think he is going anywhere. Him and Rogers I think will both be here for this season. We could afford them, so there isn't a reason to cut two starters.
Originally posted by Gelder:
Everyone is quick to dismiss Whitner but I don't think he is going anywhere. Him and Rogers I think will both be here for this season. We could afford them, so there isn't a reason to cut two starters.

I think the issue is that Whitner's big weakness is and has always been coverage in the RZ/EZ and we play a lot of bigger TE's and WR's. At his price, signing Goldson and moving HIM to SS would make the most sense.

As far as Rogers, he half-assed it all year long and is the main reason the Niners have sought out every FA CB out there.

I think the issue is that Whitner's big weakness is and has always been coverage in the RZ/EZ and we play a lot of bigger TE's and WR's. At his price, signing Goldson and moving HIM to SS would make the most sense.

As far as Rogers, he half-assed it all year long and is the main reason the Niners have sought out every FA CB out there.

But think about it this way, what team has safetys that are the same size as TE's in the RZ? It isn't like Whitner is anymore of a liability then most of the league is at safety (height wise)
But think about it this way, what team has safetys that are the same size as TE's in the RZ? It isn't like Whitner is anymore of a liability then most of the league is at safety (height wise)

Actually, Goldson would be covering the TE's as the SS now and he is 6'2". That could help a lot. Then we just need a true FS with range, speed and who can help the CB's with over-the-top and sideline coverage.

I understand how positions can or need to be upgraded but c'mon. We made championship and Super Bowl in back to back years and everyone wants us to cut half our roster
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
I understand how positions can or need to be upgraded but c'mon. We made championship and Super Bowl in back to back years and everyone wants us to cut half our roster

Think CK over Alex Smith. This is a coaching staff big on development and year 2 is usually when we SEE that changing of the guard (CK, AJ, Looney, Kilgore, Lockette, Spillman, Robinson, RJF, Culliver, Fleming, Johnson, etc.). We are in a position where we can get younger, cheaper AND better throughout the year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM ]
Alex - Gone. 2nd rounder and conditional 2014.

Soap - Gone. Need a two-gap NT who can push/collapse the pocket (e.g. step-up lane).

RJF - Gone. Are you ready Ian Williams?

Moss/Manningham - Gone. Injury settlement. You ready AJ/Lockett? Williams will be back.

Delanie Walker - We've never had the Brent Jones TE or today's ultra-tall/athletic TE that is a dominant outlet, legit receiving threat esp. in the RZ/EZ, etc. DW is an excellent ST and electric in blocking schemes. Offer him a fair 2-year deal but with reduced snaps in the passing game and groom the young draft choice to take over eventually (blocking schemes).

Goldson - I'm hot & cold here as well. He is more idea as a SS. He seemed to disappear in this playoff run. He has zero over-the-top range/speed and is he ever in the EZ/RZ covering (maybe more scheme as it's always Whitner 1on1 it seems)? Some blown coverages even at this stage of his career and despite lining up 20-30 yards deep, still susceptible to the double move. Not a sure tackler (lots of misses this year). Quicker than fast. Brain-fart late hits (does he ever learn)? Love his intangibles though and timing of hits and is sure-handed when the ball is around him. A move to SS would lock him up on the taller TE's which could be big for us. Above average SS salary to stay.

Others: Don't be surprised to see Goldson retained as a SS and both Whitner/Rogers let go with a big FA brought in such as Revis. We have two young players vying for the FS spot in Spillman/Trenton. This is a coaching staff NOT afraid to take a few steps backwards for long term upside/growth. The idea to move Culliver to FS is intriguing as well.

This commentary on Goldson is right on, particularly the commentary on his recklessness....possibly a bit too tough. He's a good safety, but has priced himself out of the market. People forget last year in the NFC Championship, he hit Brown and knocked him out of the game. He would be better as a strong safety.

That being said, we need to add depth to our dline rotation. Pressure on the QB will only improve our secondary (which is pretty good). And the options you propose regarding safety options are intriguing.

Whitner is a STATUE in coverage. HUGE liability for his position.
Share 49ersWebzone