LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Who Should We Retain?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let's keep it short and simple. Out of our main upcoming FAs, who do you want to keep. As a corollary, who would you like to be let go?

For me, Walker is the only absolute must keep out of the core 5 FAs Soap, RJF, Moss, DW, and Goldson. While his hands are a bit suspect and he's seems to be prone to a couple fumbles/season, his versatility is key to our multifaceted offense and he's a hell of a special teamer. While he's fast as hell for a TE, he may be even more valuable as a blocker on traps, pulls, and out of the backfield. Plus, the dude straight-out balled in the SB.

Next, I'd like to keep Goldson, at the right price (wouldn't we all). I have a feeling that even if he was tagged, he'd hold out anyways. He's a big hitter and makes plays, but he also gets burned periodically in coverage and has a penchant for late and/or helmet-helmet hits. That said, I, like others, would be very weary of Whitner (I'm already weary of him as it is) plus a rookie back there (unless we go after a FS) in FA. In a perfect world, we keep Goldson and let Whitner go, either drafting his replacement or perhaps even moving Culliver to FS and Goldson to SS. I think that could work quite well. Goldson is a hard hitter and great in run support, and Cully's natural position is FS anyways. There's not a whole lot of safties who transition to CB; as we all know (Lott, Charles Woodson as the prime examples) it's often the other way around. Culliver's biggest problem seems to be turnign his head and locating the ball in coverage...putting him at FS would largely remove that problem.

I think RJF is a valuable piece, but he might get starters money elsewhere. Soap, while he's been here forever and has awesome hair, doesn't offer a whole lot. If Moss wanted back on the team, I'd welcome him I guess, but he doesn't really seem to have it anymore and sounded a bit displeased with his role at media day.

I wouldn't be bothered by letting Rogers go, but it sounds like we'll keep him. He's a solid player, nothing more; '11 was obviously a fluke taken in the context of this year and his entire career. Whitner's a great character guy, tackler, and in run-support, but a HUGE liability in coverage. If this were Madden (and we didn't have the best LBs in the game) I'd move him to OLB; since it's not, I'd cut him, but I feel that's unlikely. Otherwise, Goodwin could be let go to save some cash. He's nothing special, and we could give Looney a shot--who got some nice press the last week or two.
I'll respect to your request to keep in it short & simple. In the order you presented.

It's all about the $$$.

Definitely Goodbye: Soap, RJF, Moss, DW

Depends on the $: Goldson

Soap - His time has come and gone

RJF - There are a number of FA DLine people wo would play MUCH better in rotation. Randy Starks maybe too much $ - really don't know. The guy from Atlanta [apologies for forgetting his name] wouldn't cost too much more than RJF

Moss - helped in te transition this year. We need to get someone who is more of a threat and producer

DW - He does a lot of things well. Catching the ball isn't one of them. We can do a lot better. I'm certain our coaches will be able to teach the right blocking techniques to his replacement.

Goldson - I'm hot & cold here. He can't cover worth poop. This draft has beacoup S. We can then use the money elsewhere.
Here's a few DL guys we should look at.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1091-reinforcing-defensive-line-2013/
Ideally we can keep Goldson and Delanie longterm and get Ricky Jean cheap.

Realistically, we lock down just one of them.

Our other free agents aren't anything to really get worked about.
i think we can upgrade every one of em. goldson would be nice to have back but he definitely wants 10 mil a year or around there and for a safety who cant cover i dont think thats a good investment. rjf is the only one i would look to keep. walker cant catch for s**t, soap is still good but hes getting old and hes kind of middle of the pack not really elite. moss can go f**k himself for the lack of effort he displayed in the superbowl
Alex - Gone. 2nd rounder and conditional 2014.

Soap - Gone. Need a two-gap NT who can push/collapse the pocket (e.g. step-up lane).

RJF - Gone. Are you ready Ian Williams?

Moss/Manningham - Gone. Injury settlement. You ready AJ/Lockett? Williams will be back.

Delanie Walker - We've never had the Brent Jones TE or today's ultra-tall/athletic TE that is a dominant outlet, legit receiving threat esp. in the RZ/EZ, etc. DW is an excellent ST and electric in blocking schemes. Offer him a fair 2-year deal but with reduced snaps in the passing game and groom the young draft choice to take over eventually (blocking schemes).

Goldson - I'm hot & cold here as well. He is more idea as a SS. He seemed to disappear in this playoff run. He has zero over-the-top range/speed and is he ever in the EZ/RZ covering (maybe more scheme as it's always Whitner 1on1 it seems)? Some blown coverages even at this stage of his career and despite lining up 20-30 yards deep, still susceptible to the double move. Not a sure tackler (lots of misses this year). Quicker than fast. Brain-fart late hits (does he ever learn)? Love his intangibles though and timing of hits and is sure-handed when the ball is around him. A move to SS would lock him up on the taller TE's which could be big for us. Above average SS salary to stay.

Others: Don't be surprised to see Goldson retained as a SS and both Whitner/Rogers let go with a big FA brought in such as Revis. We have two young players vying for the FS spot in Spillman/Trenton. This is a coaching staff NOT afraid to take a few steps backwards for long term upside/growth. The idea to move Culliver to FS is intriguing as well.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM ]
Resign Goldson and maybe bring Moss back, otherwise let the rest go on their happy way.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM ]
Goldson and Walker. The loss of Goldson would show even worse than his brain farts did. Walker just does so much in the offense and could be an even bigger part. Watch the Super Bowl again if you don't agree.

Maybe Soap but he has to see he isn't worth what he made last year.

RJF wasn't consistent when Smith went out and he was pushed around way too much.

Moss and his lack of game day effort can hit the bricks.

Alex, good luck where ever you go. For your sake I hope it isn't Arizona. Might as while retire if that happens.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Soap - Gone. Need a two-gap NT who can push/collapse the pocket (e.g. step-up lane).

Moss/Manningham - Gone. Injury settlement. You ready AJ/Lockett? Williams will be back.

Delanie Walker - We've never had the Brent Jones TE or today's ultra-tall/athletic TE that is a dominant outlet, legit receiving threat esp. in the RZ/EZ, etc. DW is an excellent ST and electric in blocking schemes. Offer him a fair 2-year deal but with reduced snaps in the passing game and groom the young draft choice to take over eventually (blocking schemes).

Goldson - I'm hot & cold here as well. He is more idea as a SS. He seemed to disappear in this playoff run. He has zero over-the-top range/speed and is he ever in the EZ/RZ covering (maybe more scheme as it's always Whitner 1on1 it seems)? Some blown coverages even at this stage of his career and despite lining up 20-30 yards deep, still susceptible to the double move. Not a sure tackler (lots of misses this year). Quicker than fast. Brain-fart late hits (does he ever learn)? Love his intangibles though and timing of hits and is sure-handed when the ball is around him. A move to SS would lock him up on the taller TE's which could be big for us. Above average SS salary to stay.

Others: Don't be surprised to see Goldson retained as a SS and both Whitner/Rogers let go with a big FA brought in such as Revis. We have two young players vying for the FS spot in Spillman/Trenton. This is a coaching staff NOT afraid to take a few steps backwards for long term upside/growth. The idea to move Culliver to FS is intriguing as well.

Good stuff bud as usual. I think Walker could be back if price is right.

Goldson I am iffy on, he makes great plays, but also boneheaded mistakes.

Whit/Rogers should be addressed, but we need replacements first.

Mario stays until he is healthy, then if he can contribute than I say bye bye, though I love his potential with Kap.

Moss bye bye

Sopoaga bye bye

RJF is a toss up, could go either way.
Keep:
Walker - he's very valuable to what we do on offense. We should be able to get him for fairly cheap, so if we happen to draft a better TE we should be able to get rid of Walker pretty easily.

RJF - I think our depth on DL would really be hurting if we let RJF go. Sure, we will probably draft 1 or 2 DL pretty high... but rookies tend to take a while to develop on the DL. We must retain RJF or Soap.... my preference is RJF because he is younger.

Let go:
Goldson - We all know he wants to get paid. Dolling out a big contract for a SS playing FS won't be good for our team in the long run. Sure, he's a great player. Possibly the best SS in the league. But his coverage skills are so-so and we've already invested so much money in keeping our LB core together. Fact is, he plays safety. A position that is flashy, but easily replaceable.... especially given this years draft class.

Sopoaga - His play has fallen off. He's expensive and getting old.

Letting Goldson go, along with Alex Smith, David Akers and Sopoaga should put us in much better shape with the salary cap.

Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Mario stays until he is healthy, then if he can contribute than I say bye bye, though I love his potential with Kap.

Moss bye bye

Sopoaga bye bye

I like the idea of resigning Goldson and cutting Whitner. Goldson is the better of the two, more suited for SS than FS, and it's clear we can't keep both long term.

Any idea how much would still be owed to Whitner if we cut him?
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Moss bye bye

Sopoaga bye bye

I like the idea of resigning Goldson and cutting Whitner. Goldson is the better of the two, more suited for SS than FS, and it's clear we can't keep both long term.

Any idea how much would still be owed to Whitner if we cut him?

Just dead money of $833,334 we would save his $3.85M base and $250K workout bonus.
Walker can walk. Like to keep goldson but not for 60 million will see if he's come down in price. Like to Ricky we need to keep him he's younger and should be cheaper in price than issac with the same production. Also we already need dline help losing him is just going to force us to get 3 guys in the draft and freeagency atleast. So keep him let Williams and Him and Rookie and a freeagent compete for starter and rotation.

Also P harlson needs to be cut! Along with some restuctered contracts for player named goodwin...
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Feb 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM ]

Well thought out. My only issue is with your comment is Manningham. He was solid when he played and I think there is a spot for him in the roster.

Originally posted by kidash98:
Well thought out. My only issue is with your comment is Manningham. He was solid when he played and I think there is a spot for him in the roster.

I'm with many on here...love the guy but that was a NASTY injury and this is the last year of his contract. Even if healthy, we "may" get the second half of the year out of him and then his contract is up. I predicted an injury settlement which sucks b/c like you, I really like him. But his whole game is explosion and quickness off the LOS. He's got a long ways to go unfortunately.
Share 49ersWebzone