There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Deal for Alex Smith Done?

Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Just a hunch but I don't think its the Chiefs....I'm thinking its Buffalo

Andy Reid runs a vertical attack and that is not Alex Smith's strength....would be odd fit in the aggressive get down the field offense that Andy runs.

Uhm, if we look back, Norv runs a vertical attack and Alex looked fine, Mike Johnson ran an open attack and Alex looked solid, Urbany meyer ran a vertical attack at Utah and Alex's performance was good.

Alex thorws a good deep seam route, The skinny post, also remeber the thorws he made against the Saitns. He can make all the thorws yet can't throw the deep out consistently every time. He has a solid arm, not elite but solid.

At one time, Alex had the arm strength for the deep ball. But, the whole "sawing his shoulder in half" sort of wrecked that part of his game.
Alex Smith to Minny for Rubio.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
At one time, Alex had the arm strength for the deep ball. But, the whole "sawing his shoulder in half" sort of wrecked that part of his game.

Vernon Davis says doesn't think so
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,047
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
At one time, Alex had the arm strength for the deep ball. But, the whole "sawing his shoulder in half" sort of wrecked that part of his game.

Vernon Davis says doesn't think so


Alex doesn't have the arm he had coming out of Utah after those surgeries on his throwing shoulder.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Just a hunch but I don't think its the Chiefs....I'm thinking its Buffalo

Andy Reid runs a vertical attack and that is not Alex Smith's strength....would be odd fit in the aggressive get down the field offense that Andy runs.

Uhm, if we look back, Norv runs a vertical attack and Alex looked fine, Mike Johnson ran an open attack and Alex looked solid, Urbany meyer ran a vertical attack at Utah and Alex's performance was good.

Alex thorws a good deep seam route, The skinny post, also remeber the thorws he made against the Saitns. He can make all the thorws yet can't throw the deep out consistently every time. He has a solid arm, not elite but solid.

At one time, Alex had the arm strength for the deep ball. But, the whole "sawing his shoulder in half" sort of wrecked that part of his game.

my point is more around the mentality w/ which alex smith plays, he doesn't push the ball down the field w/ the aggressiveness that is required in an andy reid offense.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Alex doesn't have the arm he had coming out of Utah after those surgeries on his throwing shoulder.

That doesn't mean he still can't hit the deep passes. He's thrown some beautiful deep passes to Vernon davis the last 3 years after his surgeries. He's no gun slinger but he isn't a noodle arm either.
I'd be more than happy with KC's 3rd, and a 2014 conditional pick based on Alex's performance.
MB noted that he doesn't think there is a deal in place yet and this is just posturing. If that was the case, this intentional leak is designed to drive up the price between two or more interested parties but more than likely, this rumor is true (it' a done deal).

B/c if not, it could have the opposite effect and disinterest any other potential suitors. More than likely, a deal is done and all of the options with potential suitors have been explored. They've talked to Alex and the FO is just waiting to finalize the semantics. That said, if someone REALLY wants Alex now, they are going to have to back up the truck for us. So it's a win-win strategic media comment. I could see this FO even taking a slightly lesser deal or ending additional talks if Alex has expressed he'd cool with the team. The Niners are cool with the deal. Win-win...
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM ]
  • cools
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,387
KC has some good players, a RB in his prime and a pretty solid D'
They could make the playoffs with a decent Vet QB.
Reid isnt really a vertical offense guy, Im sure he'd rather control the ball and the clock

Im surprised the Niners leaked the info (if they did)
It would seem wise to let a bidding war ensue,
though as noted, Niners may have decided to allow Alex to go where he wants to, A class move by them if so.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Alex doesn't have the arm he had coming out of Utah after those surgeries on his throwing shoulder.

That doesn't mean he still can't hit the deep passes. He's thrown some beautiful deep passes to Vernon davis the last 3 years after his surgeries. He's no gun slinger but he isn't a noodle arm either.

Agreed. And when you only get or take one or two shots a game, those are very low %. That said, in a WCO where he'd be throwing a ton of times in the intermediate/short range, often times that rhythm will help on those deeper passes WHEN he does take them. Also, in a true WCO (not our Anti-WCO), the deep read is generally the first read with the TE and RB's being the second and third rspectively. This means there will be much more of a focus in practice and games on the timing of these balls. Plus if you have a guy like Bowe back there, that may help the confidence level a bit as well. He has NO issues in the short to intermediate range.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Back to the Future: Bono - Grbac - Alex Smith

somebody's sig on the Chiefs boards


deburg Montana bono garbac Smith

wth KC
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
@mattbarrows With the caveat that everyone fibs at this time of the year: I'm told the #49ers do not have a trade deal in place for Alex Smith.

Another LaCanfora fail. Can't stand him.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
@mattbarrows With the caveat that everyone fibs at this time of the year: I'm told the #49ers do not have a trade deal in place for Alex Smith.

Another LaCanfora fail. Can't stand him.

Yea that dude sucks
This is just turning into yet another AS thread. Locked until more definite news.