Deal for Alex Smith Done?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You realize Alex could simply tell KC "yeah sure trade for me, I'm gonna throw the ball to the opponents every snap, how many draft picks ya gonna give up for that?" He has a say. If he doesn't want to be there there is no point in a team trading for him.

Yes, because his track record indicates that's exactly the kind of guy he is. Doing that would be a surefire way for him to continue his career elsewhere in the NFL....oh wait, NO it wouldn't.

My point is still valid. If Alex tells a team he doesn't want to play there they won't be inclined to give up anything of value to bring him in. It is just common sense. History has shown he is emotionally fragile and needs the right situation to succeed. Nobody is giving up anything of value for him unless he is on board with it.

what's not to like about KC as the best situation for Alex?

Pro Bowl RB
QB friendly/guru HC
talent on defense

what other QB needy team offers a better situation for Alex?

Agreed. Best situation for Alex IMO. They also have the no.1 pick and will likely draft LT
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
thanks for your inside info adam schefter

you didn't break the Nate Davis news first either

Mainly because it never happened.

I know apparently he knows something we don't through his inside source
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
You realize Alex could simply tell KC "yeah sure trade for me, I'm gonna throw the ball to the opponents every snap, how many draft picks ya gonna give up for that?" He has a say. If he doesn't want to be there there is no point in a team trading for him.

Yes, because his track record indicates that's exactly the kind of guy he is. Doing that would be a surefire way for him to continue his career elsewhere in the NFL....oh wait, NO it wouldn't.

My point is still valid. If Alex tells a team he doesn't want to play there they won't be inclined to give up anything of value to bring him in. It is just common sense. History has shown he is emotionally fragile and needs the right situation to succeed. Nobody is giving up anything of value for him unless he is on board with it.

I would disagree that Alex Smith is "emotionally fragile". That man has gone through 7 years of all sorts of different crap and has held his ground and came back every single time (including the incident this past season with his concussion, he has handled the situation very professionally and that's the kind of guy he is).

Now back to the whole Alex Smith and KC thing. Good thing this trade is between the front offices only so if Alex doesn't like where he ends up and expresses it, it would be too late because the trade already happened.
Man if we seriously get a 3rd and another pick for Alex wow.. Totally raped KC

What?

I could have sworn he continued to play through a shoulder injury, public degradation, 60,000 fans booing him... How is that emotionally fragile, Vince Young?
Alex Smith for Brady Quinn !
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
There's a video a month or so back I think it was nfl network where they were talking about the top QB's in the draft and Geno Smith's NFL comparison was...Alex Smith.

That would be freaking hilarious if that got posted on the Chiefs board.

Found the video. Not as good as I remember but still good.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000089114/Scout-s-take-Top-QB-prospects
Originally posted by mkmasn:
What?

I could have sworn he continued to play through a shoulder injury, public degradation, 60,000 fans booing him... How is that emotionally fragile, Vince Young?

I have to be honest, if Smith was emotionally fragile IMO he would have topped himself.
thanks for your inside info adam schefter

you didn't break the Nate Davis news first either

Mainly because it never happened.

I know apparently he knows something we don't through his inside source

i must confess, i am his inside source..i was just messing with him
[ Edited by hofer36 on Feb 25, 2013 at 1:06 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by mkmasn:
What?

I have to be honest, if Smith was emotionally fragile IMO he would have offed himself.

Fixed. lol.

Originally posted by boast:

what's not to like about KC as the best situation for Alex?

Pro Bowl RB
QB friendly/guru HC
talent on defense

what other QB needy team offers a better situation for Alex?

Not to mention they get to keep there #1 pic and draft more of a sure thing as far as talent goes. Someone that could help their team instantly an help them over the long haul.

The game manager tag is so over used, and unless people actually pic apart AS career as a QB they have no credibility. the "he was a bust for years until harbaugh got here, he was benched three times" crowd are just blowing smoke. Where are those other QB's we had on the roster while he was here?

we have to ignore that he was like 20 when he as drafted i beleive, at the time of his first start one of the youngest QB's to start in NFL history. We have to ignore that he was drafted into one of the worst rosters in NFL history. Of course we have to ignore his seperated shoulder in the 4th game of his 3rd year, but forced back into playing when he should have been placed on IR to have surgery, and the mismanagment of that injury, and nolan throwing him under the bus. We have to ignore that he missed the majority of the season in 07 with that injury,and all of 08. Of course we have to ignore the incompetance of mike singletary. we have to ignore that he has learned nearly every offense on the face of the planet in one variation or another. We have to ignore Mike Mcarthy, Norv turner, Jim Hostler, Mike Martz, Jimmy Raye, Mike Johnson, before ultimately Harbaugh arived with Roman, Seven offenses in seven years. Lets ignore that his WR's before crabtree were a whos who of nobodys.We have to forget that he was mis managed his entire career, becuase those are "alexcuses".

On top of all of that, we have to ignore his franchise records of-
most game inning drives in a single season(6).
most 4th quarter comebacks in a single season (6)
feest interceptions in a single season (5)
most consecutive pass attempts without an interception (249)

We have to ignore passer ratings of 90.7, and 104.1 his last two seasons. We also have to ignore that even under Johnson, Alex smith was improveing towards the end of the 2010 season. And that under turner he improved dramaticly from his rookie year, then had the injury early in his third year. We have to ignore that he lead camp Alex in a lockout offseason, and with a short offseason, learned an entire playbook, and lead his team with a rookie head coach to the NFC championship game.

Yep, we have to ignore the entire history of his career an call him a "game manager" that wont succeed anywhere else, ignoreing the fact that he succeeded in staying in the league to this part of his career despite having about as mismanaged of a career of any QB in the history of the NFL. Very few QB's would still be in the league after what AS went through.

Guy is one of the toughest mentally,and physicly, and most intelegent QB's in the game. He is a class act and a damn fine QB, and over half the teams in the league would be damn lucky to have him on their rosters. He's 28 years old for christ sakes.

If we didnt have Kaep, you better beleive i would be more than fine with AS as our starting QB.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Feb 25, 2013 at 1:28 AM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
i must confess, i am his inside source..i was just messing with him

I'm sure he's got multiple sauces.

Some Chiefs fans think the 49ers are just blowing smoke. I wouldnt doubt it.
Originally posted by xela510:

I'm starting to think that fanbase is full of absolute retards. BRB, "Geno Smith is our savior and Alex Smith is trash".....oh wait....Geno Smith most compares to Alex Smith......that can't be right.

Also, they seem to talk about the guy like he's game-ready when virtually everyone else says that he'd be better off starting on the bench, getting some time to develop as a pro QB. The lemmings are jumping off of cliffs thinking that the addition of a smart veteran QB means that there's no room for a rookie QB to sit back, watch and learn.
Originally posted by xela510:

I'm starting to think that fanbase is full of absolute retards. BRB, "Geno Smith is our savior and Alex Smith is trash".....oh wait....Geno Smith most compares to Alex Smith......that can't be right.

Also, they seem to talk about the guy like he's game-ready when virtually everyone else says that he'd be better off starting on the bench, getting some time to develop as a pro QB. The lemmings are jumping off of cliffs thinking that the addition of a smart veteran QB means that there's no room for a rookie QB to sit back, watch and learn.

After going to that webpage, i am sooo glad we dont allow avatars or siglines here. The Geno Smith in KC uniform siglines and avatars were outof control.Never seen anything like that from fans and a cult following of a guy that isaint even on the roster.

I could only imagine the siglines here. My heart would have been even more broken last season rocking a Elvis Akpla avatar only to have him go undrafted, unsigned by the niners, and then signed by Philly.
Share 49ersWebzone