LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Deal for Alex Smith Done?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith is probably more talented than Trent Green, bigger arm, more mobile... but he hasn't obviously translated that success onto to the field. We had a huge huge thread about this a while back. He's not a Cassel, Huard, etc... a late round pick trying to get by... Alex Smith was the #1 overall pick in the draft. He is talented. He probably had just as much pure talent coming out as Geno. Really he was basically Geno... a college QB who put up great numbers, great bowl game performances, from a spread offense in a draft where not everyone was sold on one guy. Difference is Trent Green could run Al Saunders 7 billion page offense frontways, sideways and backwards. Not sure if either Smith would be able to do that out of the box.

I think this is the first rational post I've seen in that thread.....took till page 44.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
CK wears a flack jacket and he is sliding and escaping contact rather well I might add. You can't keep 2 starting caliber playoff game winning QBs on the same roster under the age of 28 often in this league. Smith wants to start and he deserves that chance and we should get something good in return for him. Aside from that, we have a HC that will draft and develop yet another capable QB to fill in for Smith

I think we are all in agreement here. This year was a rare luxury for us. Unless they sign a Matt Cassell themselves, there isn't going to be a lot of cover in case CK goes down. Just like many many other teams in the league. Not criticizing the 9ers, just stating that we lose a lot of depth when AS walks, that won't really be replaced unless we go the sign-a-blase-veteran route.

Also, remember that last season was Roman/Harbaugh's first season running the O. Not everything was AS's fault. He might benefit from a change in perspective, a chance to input the offensive game plan. The biggest downside will be the oline. If it's slipshod, nothing else really matters.

Tolzien has been in the system just as long as CK. the Lord-God-King aka "Baby Brees" is not as untalented as you think. he also carries a cheap contract that allows the team to sign more depth at other positions.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I am happy for Smith... yes we need a good backup QB, but the dude deserves another chance to start. I think the past 2 years have made him that much better to be honest, I am interested in seeing how he does without Harbaugh though.
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Dapro:
I have a feeling its to KC for a 5th round pick in 2014.

yeah that's not going to happen

I doubt that but its more likely than many in here who thought the Niners would get a first for Alex. I still think a 4th but hoping for a 3rd.

There is no way we go higher than a 3rd pick, have you listened to Harbaugh speak about Smith? C'mon man!?

You are right. We wont get a better pick than a 3rd.

We might get a 3rd this year and swap 2nd next year
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Wow, I thought a lot of Niner fans were downers. Kansas City? Jeez, the thought of getting a starting QB with a QB rating north of 104 and their world is ending. I've got a feeling that if he goes there and plays Reids brand of WCO, a lot of those idiots are going to be eating crow on their Alex Smith predictions.

It appears that many outside of this board feel that Smith's numbers were inflated.
Hoping for a 3rd and don't feel that's out of the question. Then again, if Smith didn't have many suitors, the leverage is all on KC's side.

I'll say a 4th.

I doubt that but its more likely than many in here who thought the Niners would get a first for Alex. I still think a 4th but hoping for a 3rd.

There is no way we go higher than a 3rd pick, have you listened to Harbaugh speak about Smith? C'mon man!?

Guarantee the TOTAL VALUE will be higher than a third. Guarantee. No way they settle this early if it wasnt.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Feb 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM ]

Higher than a 3rd round as in 4th 5th 6th 7th, ARE OUT OF THE QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by genz22:
A swap of 2nd rounders plus a 4th would be awesome!

I swear to G** everyone on this thread is absolutely insane about AS compensation value. I can't believe that people are talking about a 3/4/5 rounder. It's crazy. This guy is a starting QB who doesn't turn the ball over a lot. That's it! That's what everyone craves! Forget the super bowl super man. They just want a schlemiel behind center who won't give too many games away! If you can do that in the NFL, you are really doing something! We need to have Ryan Fitzpatrick as our QB for perhaps 6 games to really understand this point.

Alex can stop the bleeding. That's all any team will really want from him. A chance for fans to hope, to see an improvement. Maybe he won't be their super bowl meal ticket. But he can make them respectable, drastically reduce the 3-45, 10 - 42 results.

This is worth money and compensation to many many many teams. What am I missing? I've never understood where everyone else is coming from on this.

• Axl49
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Axl49.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Make it KC's 3rd round pick damnit!

Shoot for the stars son a 2nd rounder
GM of chiefs has said he think Alex worth second and third
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Guarantee the TOTAL VALUE will be higher than a third. Guarantee.

You are saying 4-7? We shall see, Im saying 2 or 3. A 1st rounder is obviously way out of the question and I think a 2nd is pretty unlikely unless it is for 2014.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Alex Smith is probably more talented than Trent Green, bigger arm, more mobile... but he hasn't obviously translated that success onto to the field. We had a huge huge thread about this a while back. He's not a Cassel, Huard, etc... a late round pick trying to get by... Alex Smith was the #1 overall pick in the draft. He is talented. He probably had just as much pure talent coming out as Geno. Really he was basically Geno... a college QB who put up great numbers, great bowl game performances, from a spread offense in a draft where not everyone was sold on one guy. Difference is Trent Green could run Al Saunders 7 billion page offense frontways, sideways and backwards. Not sure if either Smith would be able to do that out of the box.

I think this is the first rational post I've seen in that thread.....took till page 44.

And the one thing they choose to question is Alex's ability to run a particular offense? Are they f**king kidding me. Dude has seen more playbooks than any other QB in the NFL, he could probably be teaching their offense after a few weeks.

What do you mean? He's said pretty complimentary things about AS after naming CK starter.
Originally posted by Axl49:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Make it KC's 3rd round pick damnit!

Shoot for the stars son a 2nd rounder
GM of chiefs has said he think Alex worth second and third

former gm
Share 49ersWebzone