There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How Should the 49ers Address the Kicker Position?

How Should the 49ers Address the Kicker Position?

Originally posted by 5timechamps:
Rob Bironas

Just got off the board.
Through draft would and should be better...I don't see any sure power kickers in free agency.....LSU (Drew Alleman)
Originally posted by robniner:
Originally posted by 5timechamps:
Rob Bironas

Just got off the board.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2013/03/07/tennessee-titans-resign-kicker-rob-bironas/1971299/
Whatever happened to the guy we had in preseason the last couple of years?
Originally posted by gbniner:

Georgio Tavecchio (sp?)

I wish I knew
Yeah, Bironas got 2 years, 6.7 I believe so you better expect Dawson to make 3.5-4 million a year. We can't afford it. Just have to score TD's. We should be ok as our offense gets more explosive. I expect us to use the draft or to have a tryout with a bunch of off the street free agents who would make about 1-1.5 mil tops. A rookie would cost around 2-2.5 for 4 years.
Looks like Lawrence Tynes is our number 1 target as far as kickers go
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-believed-be-interested-tynes
Should have gotten Ryan Succop in Alex Smith deal
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by gbniner:

Georgio Tavecchio (sp?)

I wish I knew

I would rather have a kicker with one leg over tavecchio
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Should have gotten Ryan Succop in Alex Smith deal

Succop on these nuts
Didn't know Tynes was a FA... we've all been so focused on Dawson, Bironas, Hopkins/Sturgis. At 1st I thought they wouldn't trust a rookie kicker but then I thought maybe they would just to save money but honestly it will be hard for us to be worse off than last year so I am happy. Get a rookie, save money... get a vet... hopefully have some piece of mind. Graham, Hauschka, Tynes, Dawson or a rookie I am happy. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we had an off the street free agent competition with guys like Cundiff, Talvacchio, etc.
Tynes seems pretty solid in the clutch. I'd be happy with that. He's got a good leg. And, he can kick in bad weather. If you remember, in freezing post season conditions at Lambeau field a couple years back, he nailed a 47 yarder for the Giants.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Tynes seems pretty solid in the clutch. I'd be happy with that. He's got a good leg. And, he can kick in bad weather. If you remember, in freezing post season conditions at Lambeau field a couple years back, he nailed a 47 yarder for the Giants.

does this mean no rookie kicker i guess?
I think it means if the price is right, they may sign a vet. We haven't signed a rookie K in some time...I'd love Dawson...he was 7 of 7 from 50 + last year. Tynes is good up to midfield, then his % falls off considerably. Doesn't normally try that many beyond the 50 because he doesn't have the leg Dawson does.
I think we are in the position to pick both a kicker in the draft and a free agent. We have so many draft picks, so there would be no problem in picking up a kicker like Caleb Sturgis. And we can pick up a veteran and let them compete in camp.