There are 235 users in the forums

How Should the 49ers Address the Kicker Position?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How Should the 49ers Address the Kicker Position?

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Kicker needed at:

4949 Centennial Boulevard Santa Clara, CA 95054

Only 1 small problem there, bro ...

Centennial Blvd doesn't exist anymore. There's this little construction project going on that kinda made it go away.

Then again, I'm sure the team HQ is still 4949 Centennial Boulevard Santa Clara, CA 95054

When they've got 15 picks, I don't know what the big deal is about spending a sixth or seventh round pick on one of the two top kickers. Dustin Hopkins is figured to go in the sixth round. Caleb Sturgis is figured for the seventh round. Both of these guys have tremendous averages and both have consistently nailed kicks over 50 yards. Dustin Hopkins kicked a 60-yard field goal for Florida last season. Just take one of those guys and the Niners have their own "legatron." They get him on the cheap and they get him for at least three years on the cheap.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
When they've got 15 picks, I don't know what the big deal is about spending a sixth or seventh round pick on one of the two top kickers. Dustin Hopkins is figured to go in the sixth round. Caleb Sturgis is figured for the seventh round. Both of these guys have tremendous averages and both have consistently nailed kicks over 50 yards. Dustin Hopkins kicked a 60-yard field goal for Florida last season. Just take one of those guys and the Niners have their own "legatron." They get him on the cheap and they get him for at least three years on the cheap.

Are either Sturgis or Hopkins left-legged? That may be the deciding factor. Lee's only held for lefties.
Originally posted by islavistan:
Are either Sturgis or Hopkins left-legged? That may be the deciding factor. Lee's only held for lefties.

there was a time before nedney and akers
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
of course this is the truth. i can not believe i am this excited about us drafting a kicker. a young kid who we could actually count on and have around for many years to come! and being a 6th round pick,, not pricey at all! i am just so happy this cloud of a kicker is not hanging over us anymore.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
who cares if they are. lee has all summer and pre season to work on it. lee is a he man. he can hold with a broken thumb and not miss a beat

There both righties. But I don't see Lee having an issue with adjusting since he basically rocks at everything.
Originally posted by 49Hounds:

There both righties. But I don't see Lee having an issue with adjusting since he basically rocks at everything.
Yeah, that makes absolutely NO difference to Andy Lee. None.
IMO the only free agent worth pursuing is Phil Dawson. He made a remarkable 93% FGs last season, including all seven from 50+. He may be too expensive but could be willing to sign for less than market if he knows he's not on a team that sucks. If that doesn't work then draft the best college PK in 6th or 7th round. Keep it simple with these 2 options.

Originally posted by ninerjok:
IMO the only free agent worth pursuing is Phil Dawson. He made a remarkable 93% FGs last season, including all seven from 50+. He may be too expensive but could be willing to sign for less than market if he knows he's not on a team that sucks. If that doesn't work then draft the best college PK in 6th or 7th round. Keep it simple with these 2 options.

On second thought they could acquire Dawson and still draft a kicker. Then you have the competition Harbaugh always wants anyway.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49Hounds:

Yeah, that makes absolutely NO difference to Andy Lee. None.

Jeff Reed played three games for an injured Joe Nedney in 2010. Reed is a right legged kicker, IIRC. Didn't miss a kick.
Rob Bironas
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
draft a rookie and if you want competition bring in kaeding. i am pretty sure we will have a good rookie in that spot when the season opens. thank f**king god. akers cost us two games and we made it to the super bowl in spite of him, i hate him
Phil Dawson
Share 49ersWebzone