LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

How Should the 49ers Address the Kicker Position?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How Should the 49ers Address the Kicker Position?

No WAY !! They should sign a veteran. Why waste a draft choice on a kicker?? The Cowgirls found that Bailey Kicker as a FA out of college and he's pretty Good. I remember years ago in 02' the 9ers drafted Jeff Chandler in the 4th round kicker out of Florida and by the next season he was released. Talk about a wasted draft choice. The only kicker ever worth a draft choice was Seabass from the Faders.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
No WAY !! They should sign a veteran. Why waste a draft choice on a kicker?? The Cowgirls found that Bailey Kicker as a FA out of college and he's pretty Good. I remember years ago in 02' the 9ers drafted Jeff Chandler in the 4th round kicker out of Florida and by the next season he was released. Talk about a wasted draft choice. The only kicker ever worth a draft choice was Seabass from the Faders.
we have the picks and it would not be a wasted pick. you spend a fifth or a sixth rounder on someone is a pretty low risk in my opinion for such a high need on this team.
Whats Ray up to these days?
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
we have the picks and it would not be a wasted pick. you spend a fifth or a sixth rounder on someone is a pretty low risk in my opinion for such a high need on this team.

Exactly, this and also there were TONS of successful Kickers that were drafted in the late rounds. Were they wasted draft picks? Absolutely not.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TJA85:
Exactly, this and also there were TONS of successful Kickers that were drafted in the late rounds. Were they wasted draft picks? Absolutely not.
then you bring in a vet or maybe the lady who says she wants a tryout as a kicker, get rid of akers which means we will no longer tense up when he lines up to kick a 20 yard chip shot and also clear some big bucks for the salary cap. if akers is back i would be really upset with the coaches, they messed around with this last year and it cost us. i can not see any way he can come back esp for the money he is due to make. i hate him

I don't think we can go wrong either way (FA or the draft), but ask the Rams and Vikings whether they feel they wasted their picks on Greg Zuerlein and Blair Walsh.
Originally posted by TJA85:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Agreed. For a kicker, a 5th to 6th round pick is fair value. As long as we don't pull a Jets and draft somebody in the 2nd, we'll be ok.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

I don't think we can go wrong either way (FA or the draft), but ask the Rams and Vikings whether they feel they wasted their picks on Greg Zuerlein and Blair Walsh.

And the Ravens with Justin Tucker.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
$3 mil for a FG kicker who has had ups and downs, more downs lately, just isn't doable...actually not tolerable. I got no idea which of the two really great picks noted above is better but definitely like the idea of bringing in a 7th rd or UDFA as competition for the higher pick. And yes, the Kaeding non deal was a GM/HC screwup...but that is just an opinion.

doc is right, after the first rams loss,(i know what the score was), he should have been cut and kaeding signed, that is a fact doc! instead they messed around with this thing and it hung over us till the end.

Originally posted by xtm059:
this f**kin guy. come on.

This f**kin guy ... seriously. He can replace Akers and Lee (who doesn't need replaced, so don't hammer me) for league minimum lol
Draft ? I dont think so. Do exactly what the Niners did in Nedney and Akers. Go out and find a kicker that can give you enough to eek it out if needed. Id go with Cundiff.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Draft ? I dont think so. Do exactly what the Niners did in Nedney and Akers. Go out and find a kicker that can give you enough to eek it out if needed. Id go with Cundiff.

Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by xtm059:
this f**kin guy. come on.

This f**kin guy ... seriously. He can replace Akers and Lee (who doesn't need replaced, so don't hammer me) for league minimum lol

there is something oddly comforting when watching a kicker who actually makes his kicks
Kicker needed at:

4949 Centennial Boulevard Santa Clara, CA 95054
Share 49ersWebzone