LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

WTF AJ Jenkins, why are you not in Atlanta???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Will Jenkins become the new alex smith for Niner talk?

Kentwan Balmer is a better comparison. Late 1st with potential, but talent above him. The problem was, when we got really thin at WR, we ended up going with Chad Hall!?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Kentwan Balmer is a better comparison. Late 1st with potential, but talent above him. The problem was, when we got really thin at WR, we ended up going with Chad Hall!?

I'm a little surprised nobody has brought this up but could some of this be falling on the coaches?

You have a first round talent and given all of the circumstances (critical injuries) and you can't get this guy on the field esp. in an offense that is a one-read (college) offense? You can't design a few plays to get the ball in his hands, either from the slot or even the backfield? A go route? A reverse? A WR screen? At all?

He couldn't be mentored by Moss? Hit the nutrition and weight room and be ready by the end of the season mentally and physically?
Originally posted by NCommand:

I'm a little surprised nobody has brought this up but could some of this be falling on the coaches?

You have a first round talent and given all of the circumstances (critical injuries) and you can't get this guy on the field esp. in an offense that is a one-read (college) offense? You can't design a few plays to get the ball in his hands, either from the slot or even the backfield? A go route? A reverse? A WR screen? At all?

He couldn't be mentored by Moss? Hit the nutrition and weight room and be ready by the end of the season mentally and physically?

I think getting cut by Seattle and not even showing up in Wash concludes he was just a bad pick

My thoughts precisely. A long time ago, I said as much.

I just question the coaches decisions on developing players. They have a bit of the college mentality that needs to be shed. It's like they're red-shirting Jenkins. There's nothing like giving players some actual playing time to speed up their development. Just watching from the sidelines is not nearly as effective.

Also the the coaches'decisions in not rotating in players, especially on defense and the DL, cost the Niners dearly by play-off time.

Poor personnel management IMO.
I'm going to lose it if our 1st rd pick doesn't play or plays little, especially if its a dline man and we need to rotate and not play smith and McDonald to death. I don't care how deep we are 1st rounders should at least contribute some way
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

My thoughts precisely. A long time ago, I said as much.

I just question the coaches decisions on developing players. They have a bit of the college mentality that needs to be shed. It's like they're red-shirting Jenkins. There's nothing like giving players some actual playing time to speed up their development. Just watching from the sidelines is not nearly as effective.

Also the the coaches'decisions in not rotating in players, especially on defense and the DL, cost the Niners dearly by play-off time.

Poor personnel management IMO.

That makes a lot of sense...red-shirted CK and when finally ready, elevated him, Boone too, James probably would have been in the same boat if Hunter never went down, Roman's offense is very college-like, etc.
I do hate to say it but after watching some interviews and college highlights and his twitter feed and everything...I just don't think he has "it."
In pre-draft interviews he said things like:
"A lot of teams want me to get stronger, so I'm going to emphasize that." - No, you still look exactly the same as you did in college.
"I can stretch the field." - It's hard to stretch the field when you're out of shape and don't know the plays.
And then, "Me and Jerry are gonna run the hill." Nope. Too busy tweeting song lyrics to train with the Greatest.
Now after claiming he's going to come back "a completely different player" he's doing God knows what (playing Madden on xbox at best, I imagine) while the other young hopefuls are taking reps every day with our starting quarterback?!!!!

"Reported to be arriving soon??!" Why didn't he arrive in Atlanta before Kaepernick? Send a message that you're serious, man. Jesus.
He's all talk so far. It's rare that someone without focus and work ethic magically finds "it." I think he'll be considered a bust a few years from now. Role player at best but that's optimistic. Wish I could convince myself otherwise. I hope he proves me wrong.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I'm going to lose it if our 1st rd pick doesn't play or plays little, especially if its a dline man and we need to rotate and not play smith and McDonald to death. I don't care how deep we are 1st rounders should at least contribute some way

I agree completely. I'm essentially calling last draft a complete bust.. a la 2008: Balmer, Rachal, R. Smith, Wallace, Morgan, Grant. At least Morgan and Grant have contributed, but overall, you need more out of draft.

If we get any return on Jenkins, Looney, Fleming, Robinson, or Johnson, i'd be pleasantly surprised. Now the key is, we have to flip the script and have another positive draft if we want to continue sustained success. After all, we have the 2 most important pieces in place (QB and Coach). Now we need to keep the cupboard stocked so we can have a decade-long run.

We have some of the best coaches out there and a top head coach.

There is only so much a coach can do. The onus is on the player at some point to get it right. They probably don't dial up plays because they don't trust him. I can't see any other explanation. And the little 175 pound turd is still not in ATL, while our pro bowl QB is already hitting it hard...

It is still wayyyy to early to tell, but Jenkins may have pulled a wool over Baalke's eyes on this one.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:16 PM ]
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

I agree completely. I'm essentially calling last draft a complete bust.. a la 2008: Balmer, Rachal, R. Smith, Wallace, Morgan, Grant. At least Morgan and Grant have contributed, but overall, you need more out of draft.

If we get any return on Jenkins, Looney, Fleming, Robinson, or Johnson, i'd be pleasantly surprised. Now the key is, we have to flip the script and have another positive draft if we want to continue sustained success. After all, we have the 2 most important pieces in place (QB and Coach). Now we need to keep the cupboard stocked so we can have a decade-long run.

Reggie Smith helped us and played well with his tenure here.

Just because he isn't at a particular training facility on the other side of the country in the deep South doesn't mean that he isn't working. I get why Kaepernick is there but I also get why a WR wouldn't spend the whole offseason there. We aren't questioning why Kaepernick isn't training out here near team headquarters where his teammates are based.
Originally posted by jreff22:
does it matter who the Rams reach for?

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Honest question, was this stated as fact by anyone in the 49er braintrust? Except for perhaps a QB you take in the 1st round and want to groom for a couple years, in today's NFL who drafts a player in Round 1 and doesn't expect them to "produce immediately"? We're not even necessarily talking 30 rec-450 yds-3 TDs...being able to beat out people named Hall and Ginn for snaps and lining up correctly would have sufficed.

In my opinion they overreached for a WR that more than likely would have been there in the 3rd Round, perhaps even later as some had him projected 4th-5th Rd. Regardless, the table is set up nicely for Jenkins...Ginn and probably Moss will be gone, Manningham and Williams coming back off injury, and Williams really just ain't that great, certainly not to the point where a first-round talent can't get on the field ahead of him. Unless he shows dramatic improvent in 2013, it won't be too soon to start saying he's a bust. And it doesn't mean Baalke & Co. suck, it would just mean a big swing and a miss on this pick.

This is nonsense, he was a Top 40-60 player on virtually every single draft board out there.

He was gonna go 3 picks later to the Rams.

does it matter who the Rams reach for?

It means that the 3rd, 4th or 5th round predictions were wrong.

We won't know for five years.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Make that, 7 years..
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Make that, 7 years..

Share 49ersWebzone