There are 259 users in the forums

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • bret
  • Veteran
I'm absolutely thrilled with this signing! It seemed pretty obvious to me, especially after Justin Smith's injury that depth on the d-line was the club's single biggest need. With it becoming clear that they were going to let Sopoaga and RJF walk, my opinion was vindicated: whenever they tried to spell Smith last season, RJF would come in and the opposing offenses would immediately attack, and with success! Let somebody else give him a big contract!

Dorsey has been called a bust by many Chiefs fans. But that is largely because he didn't get sacks. But the style of defense they played asked Dorsey to stuff the run and take on blockers - a job he did very well if you believe Pro Football Focus. Putting him in a system that allows him to attack more should allow him to reach the potential that got him drafted in the top 5 originally!

Like the Niners' earlier pick-ups of Carlos Rogers and Donte Whitner, this is a pick-up of a player with top-tier talent who is being undervalued because of the way he was used. I see him rotating with Ian Williams at nose and still giving Justin Smith and Ray MacDonald some plays off. This alone should help keep them from wearing down as the season progresses. And I suspect the numbers Dorsey himself puts up will surprise some people!

Way to go!
Originally posted by HearstFan:
This is a mediocre signing - I'll be shocked if he has a major impact. He didn't produce in KC and they have Tamba Holi and Jackson. He is not a high motor guy, and his burst is limited.

I hope this deal is structured with very little penalty if he "competes in camp" and they let him go.

Wut? It looks like you took a scouting report of Dorsey and flipped it upside down. He was the only d-lineman in KC who played well. Tyson Jackson is pure trash. Dorsey has a high motor. I agree his burst upfield is average, but he's a good athlete with nice quickness for a guy his size. As far as impact, it looks like he's slated to start at NT. I'll be shocked if he doesn't make an impact. He's a good player.
Originally posted by bret:
I'm absolutely thrilled with this signing! It seemed pretty obvious to me, especially after Justin Smith's injury that depth on the d-line was the club's single biggest need. With it becoming clear that they were going to let Sopoaga and RJF walk, my opinion was vindicated: whenever they tried to spell Smith last season, RJF would come in and the opposing offenses would immediately attack, and with success! Let somebody else give him a big contract!

Dorsey has been called a bust by many Chiefs fans. But that is largely because he didn't get sacks. But the style of defense they played asked Dorsey to stuff the run and take on blockers - a job he did very well if you believe Pro Football Focus. Putting him in a system that allows him to attack more should allow him to reach the potential that got him drafted in the top 5 originally!

Like the Niners' earlier pick-ups of Carlos Rogers and Donte Whitner, this is a pick-up of a player with top-tier talent who is being undervalued because of the way he was used. I see him rotating with Ian Williams at nose and still giving Justin Smith and Ray MacDonald some plays off. This alone should help keep them from wearing down as the season progresses. And I suspect the numbers Dorsey himself puts up will surprise some people!

Way to go!

Couldnt have said it better, myself. There really haven't been any D-linemen to play bad under Tomsula. I think they are looking at Sopoaga's lack of playing time because of heavy passing teams, and they are looking for someone a little faster to not only help the run game, but to pressure up the middle (his biggest asset coming out of college). With Justin commanding doubles, I think Dorsey will be solid in the middle.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Mar 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM ]
I like the signing, but im not as sure the club sees him as a starter as most the guys here.

Great low risk high reward signing, but likely to end up as depth and be gone after his contract if this draft goes well.
The Chiefs also wanted Dorsey back, and I think they would have paid him just as much if not MORE considering the way they have been throwing money around in FA. But he obviously chose to come to a winning, prove team which shows he isn't here to get paid but to win a ring. Exactly the type of guy we need. If we can get Woodson, and Nnamdi signed, already having Boldin I think we will have a very strong and experienced locker room with out being borderline geriatric. Not to mention the draft picks we have and the draft picks we will acquire for next season, I see us being a contender for quite some time.
Solid pick up!! Now lets draft a DL within our first 3 picks to rotate with dorsey.
This is a mediocre signing - I'll be shocked if he has a major impact. He didn't produce in KC and they have Tamba Holi and Jackson. He is not a high motor guy, and his burst is limited.

I hope this deal is structured with very little penalty if he "competes in camp" and they let him go.

This is asinine. Dorsey has always played with a high motor, it was one of the biggest pro's about him when he came out for the draft. Nobody has questioned his motor, you're just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This is asinine. Dorsey has always played with a high motor, it was one of the biggest pro's about him when he came out for the draft. Nobody has questioned his motor, you're just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.

He's throwing something, and it does start with an S, but it ain't spaghetti
Stumbled across this....

http://ninercaphell.com/2013/03/13/update-dorsey-signs-2-year-deal-with-max-value-of-7-million/
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by quicsylver15:
Stumbled across this....

http://ninercaphell.com/2013/03/13/update-dorsey-signs-2-year-deal-with-max-value-of-7-million/

Thats great. That boy is going to have to ball his ass off to get his money.

If we ask him to 2-gap, a fine run stopper. (His role with the KC Chiefs)
If we ask him to 1-gap, a disruptor. (His role at LSU)

Last year, because we were so stout against the run, we were in our nickel or dime about 70% of the time.
As a 1 gap disruptor, Dorsey is a definite upgrade when he plays inside on our 4 man D-line on passing downs.

If he also spells Ray Mac and Cowboy at DE, look for teams to score less points against us in the 4th Q.

Well done Baalkebaugh!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by quicsylver15:
Stumbled across this....

I wish we would have signed him to at least 3 years.
Originally posted by PTulini:

Jim Tomsula has a new project!
  • Bodhi
  • Veteran
Bengals fans considered Justin Smith to be a bust when he was on the team

Let's see what Tomsula can do this time
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I'm pretty excited about this. Seeing Soap get 4 mil a year and hearing that RJF may get 5-6, getting a guy like Dorsey for less than either is huge. I just don't see how he could be any worse than Soap was last year. Further, I really like how this coaching staff has the ability to get the most out of their talent. Dorsey was dripping with talent out of college, maybe a fresh start with the best staff in the league will get him to his potential. Great signing.

The guy is tenacious off the ball. With Justin Smith commanding double teams, and teams worrying about the Aldon stunt, Dorsey could be the perfect guy to fill that hole in the middle. They should be able to get pressure up the middle without blitzing ILBs
Share 49ersWebzone