There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do we have a bad fan base compared to the rest of the NFL?

SF is one of my favorite cities in the world, and consistently rated as one of the best places to visit.

As for football fans, not really. As others have said most of the fans that go the games come from surrounding areas, anyways.
Originally posted by Ninerguy:
You believe There is a higher population of fans in the South Bay than in the east bay, sf, north bay and sacramento area combined?

And of course people that live in the South Bay are happy, but a majority of fans who don't live there are not, and you have to understand why.


Well, "yes". But what do you mean by "East Bay"? Oakland? I think that is Raider territory (I don't know for sure).
Livermore and Pleasanton are actually closer to Santa Clara than South San Francisco (and they don't have to cross a bridge). Fremont is closer. Union City is about the same. Hayward (Raider territory?) is probably slightly further away; but again, don't forget the traffic of the bridge they have to cross combined with the traffic of Candlestick.
Richmond (Raiders?), Berkeley (Raiders?) and everything north of that etc are out of luck, but then you look at every city in the south bay; San Jose, Santa Clara, Cupertino, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Los Altos, Palo Alto, Milpitas, Sunnyvale, Morgan Hill, Gilroy, there are a lot of 9er fans in there.

If you are driving from Sacramento, the extra 20 - 30 min isn't going to make much difference (accounting for traffic, I wouldn't be surprised if there was no difference at all actually).
We are talking about the fan base that booed Alex Smith chanting, "WE WANT CARR!".
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
I am a diehard Niners fan. However, I hate the city of San Francisco. As far as I am concerned, it is the ugliest city in the nation (yeah, and that includes Biloxi, Mississippi). I really don't care what a bunch of Friskites think.

LOL. WTF ever.


The post above you..go away, you know not what you say; you are nothing..
Originally posted by dyNASTYmode:
We are talking about the fan base that booed Alex Smith chanting, "WE WANT CARR!".

NO, don't say it! Don't bring it up!
Reminds me... Really got turned off when I'm screaming DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!! back in the Nolan era, and this quiet old fan tells me to STFU?!?!? I make noise when the D is out there, especially on 3rd down, I don't know bout yall my voice is always gone after every game I attend
you all know where im going with this............
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
NO, don't say it! Don't bring it up!

Just act like it never happened right... Those booing fans are no doubt the fools calling in sports radio stations saying Alex should be playing over Kaepernick after we lost to the RAMS. After Kaepernick drove down the field and Akers missed the game winning kick which was less than 40 yards!!!!

Nothing against you, I don't know you but truth be told... I have witnessed the actions, statements of some pretty lame Niner fans that make me feel
The fans who are pissed at the 49ers for leaving San Francisco for Santa Clara are F*CKING IDIOTS.

After the 1984 Super Bowl, when the 49ers played at Stanford because Candlestick was a complete sh*thole (IN 1984!), Eddie D asked SF mayor Willie Brown for the money to re-pave the main parking lot, and to pave the outlying dirt lots. Brown told him to pound sand. After each of the 49ers next 3 Super Bowl wins, they asked SF for money to either rehab Candlestick or to build a new stadium (at The Candlestick site, or China Basin). The city shut them down every time.

When the 49ers had no choice but to seek other options in the Bay Area, San Francisco offered up Hunter's Point Naval Ship Yard...an unremediated Superfund site. It is packed with radioactive silt and filler sand. It is so badly polluted that it would take a DECADE to quantify and clean up. To keep their "valuable" and "treasured" football team...they offered up the biggest sh*thole in the Bay Area. Way to show your appreciation, San Francisco.

All of the douchebags that are yammering about how the 49ers have somehow betrayed the City and it's fan base need to study their history. San Francisco made money hand over fist off of this football team, and refused to do what was necessary to keep their venue current.

And to answer the question: yes. Our fan base is embarrassing. It hurts me to talk to some so called "fans" who know so little about our team. They either didn't see the glory days and somehow think that the Montana/Walsh 49ers won every game by 40 points, or did see the glory days, but have conditioned themselves to only remember the highlights. It sucks.
[ Edited by Legbreaker on Feb 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM ]
Our fan base is a lot younger can't blame them for not knowing the Walsh era when it's hard to get video

And if the 49ers move, to be more successful. Offends you, So be it !

Real fans in the area will make the trip
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Feb 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM ]
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
The fans who are pissed at the 49ers for leaving San Francisco for Santa Clara are F*CKING IDIOTS.

After the 1984 Super Bowl, when the 49ers played at Stanford because Candlestick was a complete sh*thole (IN 1984!), Eddie D asked SF mayor Willie Brown for the money to re-pave the main parking lot, and to pave the outlying dirt lots. Brown told him to pound sand. After each of the 49ers next 3 Super Bowl wins, they asked SF for money to either rehab Candlestick or to build a new stadium (at The Candlestick site, or China Basin). The city shut them down every time.

When the 49ers had no choice but to seek other options in the Bay Area, San Francisco offered up Hunter's Point Naval Ship Yard...an unremediated Superfund site. It is packed with radioactive silt and filler sand. It is so badly polluted that it would take a DECADE to quantify and clean up. To keep their "valuable" and "treasured" football team...they offered up the biggest sh*thole in the Bay Area. Way to show your appreciation, San Francisco.

All of the douchebags that are yammering about how the 49ers have somehow betrayed the City and it's fan base need to study their history. San Francisco made money hand over fist off of this football team, and refused to do what was necessary to keep their venue current.

And to answer the question: yes. Our fan base is embarrassing. It hurts me to talk to some so called "fans" who know so little about our team. They either didn't see the glory days and somehow think that the Montana/Walsh 49ers won every game by 40 points, or did see the glory days, but have conditioned themselves to only remember the highlights. It sucks.

Could be worse. Tried talking to Raider fans?
Originally posted by Ninerguy:
You believe There is a higher population of fans in the South Bay than in the east bay, sf, north bay and sacramento area combined?

And of course people that live in the South Bay are happy, but a majority of fans who don't live there are not, and you have to understand why.

I'm way out in the east bay (tri valley) and I'm totally happy with the move and virtually everyone I know in the EB feel the same. Do you have #'s to back up that "majority" claim?
Originally posted by eastbayj:
Originally posted by Ninerguy:
You believe There is a higher population of fans in the South Bay than in the east bay, sf, north bay and sacramento area combined?

And of course people that live in the South Bay are happy, but a majority of fans who don't live there are not, and you have to understand why.

I'm way out in the east bay (tri valley) and I'm totally happy with the move and virtually everyone I know in the EB feel the same. Do you have #'s to back up that "majority" claim?

Talk to customer service at will call next time...they should have an idea...?

I've heard the South Bay claim as well
Originally posted by dyNASTYmode:
Reminds me... Really got turned off when I'm screaming DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!! back in the Nolan era, and this quiet old fan tells me to STFU?!?!? I make noise when the D is out there, especially on 3rd down, I don't know bout yall my voice is always gone after every game I attend

That has definitely happened to me on more than one occasion. Some old a**hole also called security on me and some buddies because we were screaming on defense. Older fans should be watching the games at home if they want to sit back and relax to watch the game with no disturbances. But sadly, they're the ones with the money, so that'll never happen.

I'm hoping that with this new stadium is set up like Seattle's and amplifies the crowd noise somehow. Otherwise we'll always be a team without real home field advantage.
Originally posted by eastbayj:
Originally posted by dyNASTYmode:
Reminds me... Really got turned off when I'm screaming DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!! back in the Nolan era, and this quiet old fan tells me to STFU?!?!? I make noise when the D is out there, especially on 3rd down, I don't know bout yall my voice is always gone after every game I attend

That has definitely happened to me on more than one occasion. Some old a**hole also called security on me and some buddies because we were screaming on defense. Older fans should be watching the games at home if they want to sit back and relax to watch the game with no disturbances. But sadly, they're the ones with the money, so that'll never happen.

I'm hoping that with this new stadium is set up like Seattle's and amplifies the crowd noise somehow. Otherwise we'll always be a team without real home field advantage.

He said nolan era...there was nothing to get loud about