There are 240 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do we have a bad fan base compared to the rest of the NFL?

Originally posted by Ninerguy:
Sucks the team is moving to Santa Clara. No football history in that area and no more crossing the bay or golden gate to go to a game. Big stadiums are cool. But if rather watch games at candlestick than drive an hour and 15 minutes to Santa Clara, no matter how nice the stadium. I will go from attending multiple games per year to maybe 1 a year

Sounds good to me
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Sucks the team is moving to Santa Clara. No football history in that area and no more crossing the bay or golden gate to go to a game. Big stadiums are cool. But if rather watch games at candlestick than drive an hour and 15 minutes to Santa Clara, no matter how nice the stadium. I will go from attending multiple games per year to maybe 1 a year

Sounds good to me

Does it?

Sounds good to me

Does it?

So using your logic, all the south bay fans shouldnt have been attending any games the last 66 years, because theyd have to drive an hour...

Youre basically just throwing a fit over being inconvenienced. The 49ers are the bay areas team, not just San Francisco's. They moved to a different part of the area because the city of SF couldnt find any non toxic land for them over the last 15 years. Clearly it wasnt THAT important to them.

From a common sense perspective, theyre moving to a better location. Way more people drove up from the south bay than came from near SF.
Originally posted by Beeker:
I think the entire Santa Clara "They're NOT the San Francisco 49ers anymore" thing is such a load of crap. So the 49ers didn't want a stadium built on top of a Superfund waste site, with poor infrastructure, in the middle of a crime infested neighborhood. What other areas were offered in San Francisco as potential stadium sites? Candlestick served it's purpose. 50 years it served San Francisco. Where else COULD you build a modern NFL stadium in SF - with good infrastructure, easy access, low crime, plenty of parking space for the tailgaters ...... Answer me that. Also, I'm going to make the same tired old argument:
  1. The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington
  2. The Washington Redskins play in Landover
  3. The New York Jets and Giants play in East Rutherford, NEW JERSEY
  4. The Miami Dolphins play in Miami Gables
  5. The Los Angeles Rams played in Anaheim
  6. The Los Angeles Raiders played in Pasadena

Raiders played at the USC Coliseum, not the Rose Bowl.

But to add-on:

1. Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park (wtf is an Orchard Park anyway)
2. Phoenix Cardinals played in Tempe
3. Detroit Lions played in Pontiac
Well yeah since the game is for the fans, then yes I am upset about being inconvienienced. And for the last 66 yrs,People from the South Bay knew the team played in sf and was called the San Francisco 49ers. It's not like the team was in Santa Clara first, then moved away. And do you have any proof to show that "way more" fans that go to the game are from the South Bay or are you just guessing? And if the team is the bay areas team, doesn't it make more sense to have them play in a more centralized part of the bay, like sf?
I live in sac. I gives no f**ks
Originally posted by Niners99:

Sounds good to me

Does it?

So using your logic, all the south bay fans shouldnt have been attending any games the last 66 years, because theyd have to drive an hour...

Youre basically just throwing a fit over being inconvenienced. The 49ers are the bay areas team, not just San Francisco's. They moved to a different part of the area because the city of SF couldnt find any non toxic land for them over the last 15 years. Clearly it wasnt THAT important to them.

From a common sense perspective, theyre moving to a better location. Way more people drove up from the south bay than came from near SF.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Sounds good to me

Does it?

Well yeah since the game is for the fans, then yes I am upset about being inconvienienced. And for the last 66 yrs,People from the South Bay knew the team played in sf and was called the San Francisco 49ers. It's not like the team was in Santa Clara first, then moved away. And do you have any proof to show that "way more" fans that go to the game are from the South Bay or are you just guessing? And if the team is the bay areas team, doesn't it make more sense to have them play in a more centralized part of the bay, like sf?
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
I am a diehard Niners fan. However, I hate the city of San Francisco. As far as I am concerned, it is the ugliest city in the nation (yeah, and that includes Biloxi, Mississippi). I really don't care what a bunch of Friskites think.

LOL. WTF ever.

I don't think it's a significant enough move to seriously be called a "move". It'll cause some people inconvenience in the same way that the Lambs playing in Anaheim caused fans in LA back in the day.

On the flip side, there will likely be many more people attending multiple games a year instead of 1 a year. San Jose by itself has a higher population than San Francisco.
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
I am a diehard Niners fan. However, I hate the city of San Francisco. As far as I am concerned, it is the ugliest city in the nation (yeah, and that includes Biloxi, Mississippi). I really don't care what a bunch of Friskites think.

We sold out every game for several years when the team was one of worst in the league. I can't think of another fan base that supported a team for almost a decade of poor product on the field.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

On the flip side, there will likely be many more people attending multiple games a year instead of 1 a year. San Jose by itself has a higher population than San Francisco.

Naturally. I'm not saying they won't sell out or anything like that. But I think the reason why a lot of fans are upset is because they are used to going to sf to watch games at candlestick park which has so much history behind it, as does the city. No doubt they will make a ton of money out there but I really think that a majority of the fans who attend games at candlestick will have to travel farther and thus spend more money to attend a game in Santa Clara. The team will be secluded in the South Bay and make the journey farther for all the sf, east bay, north bay, and even sacramento 49er fans.
[ Edited by Ninerguy on Feb 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM ]
Naturally. I'm not saying they won't sell out or anything like that. But I think the reason why a lot of fans are upset is because they are used to going to sf to watch games at candlestick park which has so much history behind it, as does the city. No doubt they will make a ton of money out there but I really think that a majority of the fans who attend games at candlestick will have to travel farther and thus spend more money to attend a game in Santa Clara. The team will be secluded in the South Bay and make the journey farther for all the sf, east bay, north bay, and even sacramento 49er fans.

Obviously no matter where you put a stadium, it will be closer to some and further from others. It will be further from people who live in San Francisco and north of it, but it will be closer for people who live in Palo Alto all the way to Santa Cruz.

I am guessing that there are more fans in the South Bay for two reasons. First, there is a higher population. Second, suburban areas tend to have more sports fans (that is a guess).

I can understand why San Francisco fans are upset. Obviously, they are used to not having to go far for a game; as well as the pride of knowing the team plays within the city of its namesake (technically, they play in the city of South San Francisco, but close enough).
Again, on the other side of that coin, many people are happy that their favorite team is moving closer to them, and you have to understand why they are happy about it.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Obviously no matter where you put a stadium, it will be closer to some and further from others. It will be further from people who live in San Francisco and north of it, but it will be closer for people who live in Palo Alto all the way to Santa Cruz.

I am guessing that there are more fans in the South Bay for two reasons. First, there is a higher population. Second, suburban areas tend to have more sports fans (that is a guess).

I can understand why San Francisco fans are upset. Obviously, they are used to not having to go far for a game; as well as the pride of knowing the team plays within the city of its namesake (technically, they play in the city of South San Francisco, but close enough).
Again, on the other side of that coin, many people are happy that their favorite team is moving closer to them, and you have to understand why they are happy about it.

You believe There is a higher population of fans in the South Bay than in the east bay, sf, north bay and sacramento area combined?

And of course people that live in the South Bay are happy, but a majority of fans who don't live there are not, and you have to understand why.
[ Edited by Ninerguy on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:16 AM ]