LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Do we have a bad fan base compared to the rest of the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
I wonder just how many San Francisco residents ACTUALLY attend their games. I'll bet that it's mostly businesses and the free tickets that they give to their employees and clients. But now that they're moving, can they really them themselves the San Francisco 49er's or maybe they'll change it to just 49er's.

East Bay 49er's doesn't sound good. South Bay 49er's ... aaaargh!
Yeah, that endzone logo will replace the SF on the helmet after they move BOOK IT
Originally posted by 16to87:
I wonder just how many San Francisco residents ACTUALLY attend their games. I'll bet that it's mostly businesses and the free tickets that they give to their employees and clients. But now that they're moving, can they really them themselves the San Francisco 49er's or maybe they'll change it to just 49er's.

Yeah, that endzone logo will replace the SF on the helmet after they move BOOK IT
lol, yeah right
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

lol, yeah right

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

lol, yeah right

To be honest I cannot f**king wait until the Santa Clara 'Redux', San Fran doesn't deserve the 49ers playing directly in their city anymore (despite our drop off in the 00s), it's a f**king baseball city no more than L.A. with basketball anymore. San Fran can say they 'tried', but no team deserves to play in such a toxic dump like Hunter's Point. -70% of the fans who came out to the stick/supported the team and lived in the city during the 80s/90s are now retired out in Santa Clara (so it's a perfect situation), like iLL49er said, fans anymore are pretty much dug-in outside of the city.

-I was just hoping though we'd get another SB win before the move, hopefully 2013 will be our 'year of destiny', to send the city off before starting a new Dynasty in the Santa Clara stadium.
Candlestick is barely in "The City" to begin with, not to mention it's in one of the worst/most notorious hoods in the entire region. To be pi$$ed at the 49ers for moving to Santa Clara is pretty infantile at this point.
Originally posted by cciowa:
they whine more about the refs and how the nfl is against us more than any other fan base, cept for the packers and seattle

Do you know who used to hold that distinction? Ravens fans.

I know people who have been attending games in luxury boxes for years. They will not be investing in seats at the new stadium...and it has everything to do with the cost of seat licenses and getting clients to games in Santa Clara. Not worth the investment, even if clients can fly into San Jose and hop over.
I personally don't see the problem. The 49ers fought very hard to get a stadium in San Francisco, but the city couldn't get anything done. With how expensive and difficult it is to get a stadium, the 49ers went to Santa Clara.. and yes, it's 40 miles south, and they did some unpopular things such as getting PSLs. We've been waiting for over a decade to get a new stadium, ever since Eddie D was the owner. Blame the city for not getting anything done.

I think, in the end, people will be much happier. The stadium is going to be very nice. Gotta remember that Candlestick was amongst the worst, if not THE worst, stadiums in the league.

Besides... the 49ers fanbase is represented by the whole Bay Area community. I can understand if all the fans were centralized in the city, but we're not. We're spread all over the place, so it's not as if the team is abandoning their fanbase.
Ther are ALWAYS people who are uncomfortable with change.

Their mind-set seems to be "it WAS always better before...."

I still know people who won't Email!

Like Phoenix said - probably fakes.

Candlestick served its' prupose and the times have changed.

People just need to be greatful they didnt end up in LA. The team exhausted every possible avenue to get a profitable stadium plan in SF. The city wanted nothing to do with it.
You have to forgive some of the San Francisco old timers. The Niners were the first professional sports franchise to make SF their home. For many years, people could go to Golden Gate Park to see them play. And when they moved to the Stick, this was before the modern violent gang age. Yes, it wasn't the best neighborhood in town, but it's not like it was dangerous. We'd get on a bus and head for the Stick.

But, times change and the City changed. For some reason some SF natives can't seem to admit that it's a very small plot of land the city sits on. The only space they seemed to be able to even think about providing was on top of a toxic dump. And, they couldn't get it together to do what DeBartalo originally wanted to do which was upgrade the entire Stick area. During the ensuing years, new Opera buildings and Symphony homes were built, the Embarcadero was upgraded, they knocked down a freeway to improve the view, etc. etc. etc. They had other priorities, so I'm not feeling this anger over the Niners moving to an obviously perfect spot 40 miles to the South.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
i think the 49ers fan base is in the surrounding bay area, not the city of sf...the city is transient and the loyal fan base isn't there its in the surrounding bay area

According to what I've read, less than 5% of season ticket holders line in SF. Sacramento actually had a higher percentage (7%)
Originally posted by lamontb:
Redskins and Bears don't play in their cities either

Close - the Bears do play in Chicago
Originally posted by eastbayj:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Meh, most of those responses are like fake as hell, I'm know there's people that are upset about the move, I'm sure there's others who have never been a single 49ers game in their lives shedding fake alligator tears in those comments.

I'm with you. But I don't ever hear of New Yorkers complain, or Dallas any other team's fans openly bail on their team like this. It's weird.

I grew up in Mill Valley then my parents moved us to Dallas when I was in high school, been here ever since. I'm a die hard Niner fan, but being in Texas does give me a different perspective than you Cali peeps. Most of my buddies here are Cowboys fans, and don't think for a second that fans of other teams are necessarily any more "faithful" than our fan base. The past few years I've noticed alot of Cowboy fans lose interest and become indifferent to their team - they do suck though
My point is, I think we have a pretty solid fan base, no they aren't like NY or GB fans, but those fans are the exception, not the rule. Don't let a few bad apples skew your view of our fanbase.
Share 49ersWebzone