LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 334 users in the forums

What great 49ers have been practice squad players?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Here's a question... I can't think of any off the top of my head, but have there been any 49er practice squad players in the past decade or so, who have become starters and top-level players for us?

I always see news about people becoming signed to the practice squad, and a lot of the time, think to myself that they're just... fodder.

Thoughts?
  • JD81
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Here's a question... I can't think of any off the top of my head, but have there been any 49er practice squad players in the past decade or so, who have become starters and top-level players for us?

I always see news about people becoming signed to the practice squad, and a lot of the time, think to myself that they're just... fodder.

Thoughts?

Alex Boone?
How about Jose Cortez.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

Drafted in the second round.
First, you have to define great. Is that Hall of Fame? 5+ years of starting?

The Practice Squad began in 1989, so we have limited history.

Recent players that made the practice squad that went on to start (for the 49ers or other teams): Harvey Dahl, Alex Boone and Michael Spurlock come to mind.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

Wow. Did not know Davis was on PS
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Feb 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM ]

Also, Joe Perry was signed as a Undrated free agent by the 49ers, does that count?
Originally posted by JD81:
Alex Boone?

Oh, good one!
Originally posted by redrathman:
First, you have to define great. Is that Hall of Fame? 5+ years of starting?

The Practice Squad began in 1989, so we have limited history.

Recent players that made the practice squad that went on to start (for the 49ers or other teams): Harvey Dahl, Alex Boone and Michael Spurlock come to mind.

I'm just talking about a pretty good, starting-calibur player... as JD81 has mentioned, like Alex Boone.

The reason I ask is because I always write off practice squad players, so I wanted to know if there was a good success story.
Alex Boone is an awesome one because I know in his rookie year, he didn't make the team, but came back the next year.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Oh, good one!

I'm just talking about a pretty good, starting-calibur player... as JD81 has mentioned, like Alex Boone.

The reason I ask is because I always write off practice squad players, so I wanted to know if there was a good success story.
Alex Boone is an awesome one because I know in his rookie year, he didn't make the team, but came back the next year.

Not to mention all the other crap he had to overcome.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Derrick Deese
Elvis Grbeck was not a great 49er but still a starting NFL QB
Junior Bryant
Alex Boone def comes to mind
Does Larry Grant count? He was on our practice squad as a rookie before being signed to the Rams active roster.
Share 49ersWebzone