LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 160 users in the forums

2013 Salary Cap Outlook, plus can the 49ers add a big name via Trade (Webzone Exclusive)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't want Harvin or Revis. Get another 2nd round pick for '14 for Alex Smith and get a big WR like possibly Denario Alexander for way less. We have plenty of speed to figure out the return game and a big tall wideout on the outside w/ mad potential for waaaay less is what they need to do . Save money for Kaep, A Smith, and keeping our O Line together.
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
I don't want Harvin or Revis. Get another 2nd round pick for '14 for Alex Smith and get a big WR like possibly Denario Alexander for way less. We have plenty of speed to figure out the return game and a big tall wideout on the outside w/ mad potential for waaaay less is what they need to do . Save money for Kaep, A Smith, and keeping our O Line together.

I agree 100%. If you look at what guys like J. Staley and M. Iupati are making right now, both are due for LARGE contracts. And of course Kaep will require big money as well.
I dont see a reason to pay big $$ to a WR like Harvin. I think he is a great player, but when you already have a great running game, Crabtree and Vernon, there is no need for a WR to come in and start drama due to not getting enough balls, migranes etc. We also need to give AJ Jenkins a shot and see what he can do next season.
I've got 3 for you...Randy Starks, Sean Smith and Jarius Byrd. Yes, they'd cost, but if you want quality that's usually the case. Sopoaga's not likely to be back, package Whitner in a trade (although after his miserable playoff/SB performance, that might not be easy). Trade Rogers, too. Our DB's were absolutely pitiful down the stretch and into the playoffs. Starks is a big body who can play inside and out...lack of a player of his caliber really hurt our pass rush when Justin Smith got hurt. Nobody else really stepped up to pick up the slack. Smith is a big CB 6-3, 215, who's just entering his prime...he'd be a good matchup against the big WR's we face just about every Sunday. As for Byrd, he's a real playmaker...and would be an instant upgrade. I'd also submit he'd be a better bargain than Goldson, who all but disappeared vs Atlanta and the Ravens. Dashon wants to be paid on par with the best in the league...but if that's so, then you don't disappear in the two biggest games of the year.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

The NFL still hasn't "officially" set its salary cap, so the franchise tag figures aren't official yet either. But ...

... Projections have circulated to some agents. Tags for ... CB: $10.7M; DE: $11.0M; DT: $8.3M; LB: $9.4M; OL: $9.7M P/K: $2.9M ...

... QB: $14.6M; RB: $8.1M; S: $6.8M; TE: $6.0M WR: $10.4M. The exclusive tag #'s won't be set until after RFA period ends on 4/19.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I've got 3 for you...Randy Starks, Sean Smith and Jarius Byrd. Yes, they'd cost, but if you want quality that's usually the case. Sopoaga's not likely to be back, package Whitner in a trade (although after his miserable playoff/SB performance, that might not be easy). Trade Rogers, too. Our DB's were absolutely pitiful down the stretch and into the playoffs. Starks is a big body who can play inside and out...lack of a player of his caliber really hurt our pass rush when Justin Smith got hurt. Nobody else really stepped up to pick up the slack. Smith is a big CB 6-3, 215, who's just entering his prime...he'd be a good matchup against the big WR's we face just about every Sunday. As for Byrd, he's a real playmaker...and would be an instant upgrade. I'd also submit he'd be a better bargain than Goldson, who all but disappeared vs Atlanta and the Ravens. Dashon wants to be paid on par with the best in the league...but if that's so, then you don't disappear in the two biggest games of the year.
They should really make a run for him. He can play the NT or DE in a 3-4. he's been more than solid in the 3-4 for several years Sean Smith gets torched a lot. Like his size but not his play. Byrd is cool but realistically I don't think they will spend money on 3 guys but could focus on one of these guys.
We should concentrate on signing our own good players like Goldson and Delanie Walker.
AB, what can I say, except that you write the ONE MOST INFORMATIVE and thot provoking threads of anybody in the zone. Marvin's stuff is read by all and are excellent. Your posts are truly the best anywhere. Again, a lot of work, and thank you a ton.

Harvin: valuewise your point hits home, he would be the choice if we are going big impact , maybe SB winning type impact. I love his play. This has already been said, but missing 7 games, (or was it 9?) with migraines, etc, to me means don't do it. Just imagine, we need Harvin for this one game, and he's doubled over holding his head...and coaches have virtually no way to prevent this. If we are going to get an impact D or O (revis or harvin), jeez, let's not do it with the knowledge that for our 3 or 4 biggest games of the yr, maybe he can't make it due to migraines. I've treated many of them over the yrs and there is NO Rx for migraines that just "takes them away". Nothing you can do preventitively, and once they happen, our guy is down for the count. Sure , there are lots of treatments, but none would get our guy onto the playing field without being nauseated and seeing double. Dealwise, this makes the most sense, in bang for our buck. With this particular health issue, I would say it precludes us from signing him, no matter how good the deal would be for us. Great potential, but when your guy can't go, that potential isn't worth diddly. And I DO like him. This particular ailment should be a no brainer, "don't do it " deal.

As for Revis, it is just incredibly hard for me to imagine our GM/HC bringing up the dump truck full of $$ and putting them on Revis's plate. It would screw up our incredibly well fashioned cap and would make for discontent thruout the team, with one then another all pro demanding more money. How many times have we seen this on other teams? Right, many. I just don't see that happening here unless as mentioned, Revis wants a ring and is willing to take 8 mil instead of 14. He doesn't come across as a guy who would do that. Also, has he or has he not been sort of a diva and been a not so good locker room guy?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Wrathman:
We should concentrate on signing our own good players like Goldson and Delanie Walker.
Exactly.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by blm7754:
True, but I think you are way overestimating the salaries that these guys will get when resigned. I could see maybe $12M for Kaep, $7M for Crab, $8M for Aldon, and no more than $5M for Iupati (he's a guard for f**ks sake).

Hi, I'm reality, have we met????

Joe "f'ng" Flacco is asking for $20 mil and will probably get $16 million. For 2015, QB's like Eli, Matt Stafford and Phillip Rivers will be earning $15 mil+ per season.

Crabtree won't settle for $7 million when lesser receivers such as Santonio Holmes are getting paid $8 or $9, as a bonafide #1 WR, he'll approach the $9-10 million dollar range.

Aldon Smith has about 35 sacks in 2 seasons, the going rate for a dominating edge pass rusher is $10 million+ a year. DeMarcus Ware will be earning $12 million+ over the next few years, so that's a good range for him.

Top NFL guards such as Iupati are raking in $6 to 7 million as a base salary currently.

There are overpaid players at every position in the NFL. That is why you don't let your key players make it to a contract year. Flacco will get overpaid by the Raven's. He's just won a superbowl, he's fairly young, and if the Raven's don't pony up he will be a FA and many other teams in the league with more cap space will be willing to fork over. He's a perfect example of what we don't want to get ourselves into.

On the other hand, look at Joe Staley's contract. We locked him up long term a long time before he could even sniff the open market. Now we have a 2 time Pro-bowl LT for $3M per year! If we lock up Crabtree long term... give him some security on a good team... we can get him for $8M easily. Same goes for Iupati. On the open market, he'd make $6-7M. But if we lock him up now, we can get him for much less.

Aldon is harder. In my mind, he hasn't proven to be a dominating edge rusher just yet. Honestly, I'd rather have Demarcus Ware anyday as his productivity doesn't depend on playing next to an all-pro DT. If Aldon improves and becomes more consistent, he's worth $10M. If we lock him up before that happens, I think we can get him for $8M... maybe $9M.

I may be optimistic about Kaep. But $12M is a good salary for a QB. Make it a 5-7 year deal with lots of guaranteed money at least a year before his rookie deal is up and I think he's ours for the long haul.
Originally posted by SFrush:
As I've said before, I have a feeling it may come down to deciding between Iupati and Davis...and if that is the case...I'm going with Iupati. A right tackle is much easier to replace.

Guard is usually easier to replace. But I see your point as Iupati is an All Pro at his position.

Why do you think we drafted Looney? Could be an insurance policy in case we do have to decide between Davis and Iupati. Guards are much easier to replace than tackles. And with Gore on the down-slope we may have to transition our offense away from inside running anyway.... rendering an All-pro OG like Iupati less valuable.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Feb 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM ]

Why do you think we drafted Looney? Could be an insurance policy in case we do have to decide between Davis and Iupati. Guards are much easier to replace than tackles. And with Gore on the down-slope we may have to transition our offense away from inside running anyway.... rendering an All-pro OG like Iupati less valuable.

Dominating left guard>>>>right tackle. If Davis leaves, Boone moves a step to the right, Looney occupies his current spot at guard and there you go.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Revis or Bowe (maybe Harvin) would be the only guys I'd seriously consider b/c of what they do to help so many other positions. If you pick up Revis, you can let Rogers go...how much more would Revis cost over 7.3 million a year? Then you still have Brown/Culliver (Revis could make those two even better PLUS help out the S positions). You could get away with letting Whitner go (another 4.9 million) and start a true FS. One reasonably priced FA of this position could have a domino effects on your salary cap and overall defensive play from pass rush to the secondary. And let's not forget, this guy has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove AND wants to win a Championship. What better place than SF? We are now THAT team FA's want to play for...take less money. And we were 5 yards away from winning a Superbowl in just our second year. We were one Revis-type player (or Bowe - opposite of Crabtree and excellent RZ threat) or Harvin - versatility and ST home run threat) from making it a blowout in OUR favor.

We didn't have that Ed Reed (INT) or Jones (ST and deep threat killer) or Boldin/Pitta (big 3rd down plays + 2 TD's)

We almost worked Manning in last year. That's like 3 FA's! Imagine what they could do with one or two key FA's now. Factor in the fact that we like to lock guys up early (Bowman) and don;t be surprised to see some additional LT deals worked out during the season to keep our core intact.

The bottom line is we are in position to truly upgrade and if there is a player who can upgrade in play alone while having a positive domino effect across the board, you do it. Call it the Prime Time-Effect.

The reverse of this could be said as well...if we have cheaper guys in-house (ala Boone) who can upgrade, you do that. You just shouldn't close your mind as a GM to all options for winning this year AND building for the future; our FO is in position to do both right now!

Revis was looking for 14 million a year, if he has a healthy season and performs, you can be damn sure he'll be looking in that price range again.

Thanks for the update but no WAY Revis gets that from anyone...Nnamdi Asomugha pretty much killed that for all big-money-seeking CB's AND Revis is coming off a serious injury. One year contract and then we'll talk LT contract. He could go from Revis Island to good/solid CB based on the injury alone.

Dominating left guard>>>>right tackle. If Davis leaves, Boone moves a step to the right, Looney occupies his current spot at guard and there you go.

This is a silly debate that any OL coach on the planet would agree with me on. In general tackles are more important than guards. They posses a harder to find athletic skillset. Most tackles could easily move inside to guard and be very effective (Boone is evidence of this). But the reverse is not true.

Maybe you don't think very highly of Davis. In which case I'd agree with you... an all-pro OG is >>>> than a below average OT. But I think Davis is already a very good OT and he's still progressing. So I'll agree to disagree.
True, but I think you are way overestimating the salaries that these guys will get when resigned. I could see maybe $12M for Kaep, $7M for Crab, $8M for Aldon, and no more than $5M for Iupati (he's a guard for f**ks sake).

Hi, I'm reality, have we met????

Joe "f'ng" Flacco is asking for $20 mil and will probably get $16 million. For 2015, QB's like Eli, Matt Stafford and Phillip Rivers will be earning $15 mil+ per season.

Crabtree won't settle for $7 million when lesser receivers such as Santonio Holmes are getting paid $8 or $9, as a bonafide #1 WR, he'll approach the $9-10 million dollar range.

Aldon Smith has about 35 sacks in 2 seasons, the going rate for a dominating edge pass rusher is $10 million+ a year. DeMarcus Ware will be earning $12 million+ over the next few years, so that's a good range for him.

Top NFL guards such as Iupati are raking in $6 to 7 million as a base salary currently.

There are overpaid players at every position in the NFL. That is why you don't let your key players make it to a contract year. Flacco will get overpaid by the Raven's. He's just won a superbowl, he's fairly young, and if the Raven's don't pony up he will be a FA and many other teams in the league with more cap space will be willing to fork over. He's a perfect example of what we don't want to get ourselves into.

On the other hand, look at Joe Staley's contract. We locked him up long term a long time before he could even sniff the open market. Now we have a 2 time Pro-bowl LT for $3M per year! If we lock up Crabtree long term... give him some security on a good team... we can get him for $8M easily. Same goes for Iupati. On the open market, he'd make $6-7M. But if we lock him up now, we can get him for much less.

Aldon is harder. In my mind, he hasn't proven to be a dominating edge rusher just yet. Honestly, I'd rather have Demarcus Ware anyday as his productivity doesn't depend on playing next to an all-pro DT. If Aldon improves and becomes more consistent, he's worth $10M. If we lock him up before that happens, I think we can get him for $8M... maybe $9M.

I may be optimistic about Kaep. But $12M is a good salary for a QB. Make it a 5-7 year deal with lots of guaranteed money at least a year before his rookie deal is up and I think he's ours for the long haul.

Anybody else care to comment on this? I'm curious what others think it will cost to retain these key guys in the long run.
We have a little more cap room

Outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks had an impressive season. But it was not good enough prevent him from a "de-escalator" clause in his contract that reduces his salary in 2013.

According to an NFL source, Brooks scheduled 2013 base salary of $4.3 million was lowered to $2.7 million because he did not meet certain requirements. His salary cap figure falls from $6.65 million to $5.05 million. Even with the money saved from Brooks' deal, the 49ers are currently bumped up against the projected 2013 cap of approximately $121 million.

After the 49ers' win in the NFC Championship Game, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh commented on the team's ability to sign Brooks to a six-year contract extension that included a $7.5 million signing bonus. He is signed through the 2017 season.

"(Defensive coordinator) Vic Fangio made the comment the other day, 'The smartest thing we did as an organization was pay Ahmad Brooks and keep him as a 49er,' " Harbaugh said. "We would all concur with that."

The "de-escalator" would have voided if the 49ers had won 12 games in the regular season and Brooks had played 93.2 percent of the 49ers' defensive snaps. The 49ers finished 11-4-1, and Brooks took part in 92.2 percent of the play time. Brooks finished with 6.5 sacks, down from seven in 2011. He had an interception return for a touchdown, a career-high 74 tackles and forced two fumbles.

Brooks has "up to" $2.5 million in de-escalators in his contract over the final four years of his deal.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/source-brooks-salary-de-escalates-16-million
Share 49ersWebzone