LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

What advice would you give to any 49ers for 2013 Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rask:
The main advice I would give to 49ers is to be accountable for your own game. Stop living in the past and making excuses about "the better team didn't win today" or "they lucked out and we gave it to them." Get rid of that attitude immediately and maybe San Francisco 49ers will be able to move forward. I higjhly doubt that a slong as Jim Harbaugh is their coach that they do get rid of that attitude because it starts with him.

Frank Gore's comments after the game about "Baltimore Ravens not being the better team on SuperBowl Sunday" was an embarrassment.

frank gore is my fav 49er of all time but thats a comment i have heard from him on least 1 or 2 other occasions about various games throughout his career. i remember one being the 2010 week 2 mnf game vs the saints. he says it out of frustration more than anything.
Win the superbowl please.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Just win baby...er...wrong team...oh, what the hell...just win!

DTG whats up bro? How you handling this loss? I'm not doing so well....

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

you should not be doing well,, this loss should be consuming every niner fan right now. it never needed to occur if only the god damn coaches would have let us,,,, ahh never mind
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
To Jenkiins: Learn the damn plays and work on your strenght and run blocking.
To Crabtree: I was a fan of yours in college but you were a dissapointment the first 2 years in 49ers. However, man, you are now a stud and with good attitude. Keep improving we need you.
To Mannigham: We need you!!! Get well soon.

Anyone else MrCrab49ers? U forgot a few on the PS but I think you hit everyone else
To Jenkins, go work out with Jerry and run the hill like you said you would. It's this next season or bust buddy
To Balke: Find some defensive line players to rotate. I know with the salary cap it's hard to find depth, but a consistent 4th lineman would have done wonders.
To Fangio: Please come up with some creative blitz packages.
To Aldon: You said your shoulder was fine, then go beat some double teams and prove you can be better than Charles Haley. Get that condition going.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

you should not be doing well,, this loss should be consuming every niner fan right now. it never needed to occur if only the god damn coaches would have let us,,,, ahh never mind

The weeks leading up to the game disturbed me greatly. Too many mishaps and youthful errors in judgement for a Super Bowl team. The time for thinking about celebrating is after the game but young players often do not recognize how difficult it is to get there. CK, Crabtree, Culliver and others were involved in off field nonsense that distracted from preparation. Crabtree was likely set up, but it all adds into the mix. While Flacco was taking a carriage ride with his wife, the 9ers were going to strip clubs the night before the game. They would have been treated much better at the clubs the night after winning the championship!

So I wasn't surprised that they lost to the ultra intense Ravens. As much as I love CK, he did not seem comfortable in the first half and I thought Roman/Harbaugh made a mistake by not having him run during the first posession to get him into the groove sooner. Sometimes getting hit settles a guy down, or gaining good yardage would have done the same thing.

That said, I have never liked Ray Lewis! And I agree with those who see him as a phony...hate guys who use god to justify themselves. If they thank god I can live with it but saying god chose me to win? Not so much. Ed Reed is a different story. He has always been a quiet guy and really is opportunistic...at the most important times! Darn it!

I was incredibly sad that they are no longer perfect in Super Bowls or interceptions...but got over it quickly...too many real things in this world to worry about.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
frank gore is my fav 49er of all time but thats a comment i have heard from him on least 1 or 2 other occasions about various games throughout his career. i remember one being the 2010 week 2 mnf game vs the saints. he says it out of frustration more than anything.

I noticed it too, but I don't mind it.. Frank Gore seems (to me at least) to be the type of guy that just has a natural "feel" for football on a very intuitive level. He's played in so many games from Pop Warner to now at the same position with similar expectations placed on him that he understands the game at a level that most honestly do not. I can't speak for any other player, but when Frank says it, I think he truly means it from the standpoint that he knows and understands both his team and his opponent and can make a generally fair assessment on which team has more talent. If you were to ask me who the better team is, I'd pick us every time but if it was a question of which team was more focused throughout the entire game, hands down it's the team that wins the game... every time.

One thing you can't really measure is focus, and that's where I think no player..not Gore, not anybody can know until the moment comes when you're called upon to focus.

I don't care who agrees with me or not, we have the best TEAM in the NFL, but with that said, the area we lack overall is FOCUS from BEGINNING to END.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
First, let me say that I'm one of those who think that the hiring of Jim Harbaugh as coach of the 49ers is the best thing to happen to this franchise in a long, long time, and I'm amazed at what he has been able to accomplish with this squad in his first 2 years.

Having said that though, I have to say that the Niners, this past year, have at times played with a lack of discipline that led to costly penalties, and made mental errors that often had disastrous results. I was puzzled by this for a while, but then I've gradually come to the conclusion that Jim may not be tough enough with the players. He's definitely a players' coach, always having their backs, never chastising them in public, which is great most of the time. However, there are a few times that a coach needs to be a disciplinarian, and really let a player have it if that player had made a stupid mistake that hurt the whole team. I'm not saying that he has to do what Singletary did to Vernon Davis (although that worked out well), but there is nothing wrong with pulling a player to the side and really chew him out for a boneheaded play.

I remember Tom Rathman telling the story of a time during his rookie year, when he was still not the great player that he later became. After he had fumbled away the ball, when he came to the sideline, Walsh was waiting for him. Now, Bill Walsh, with his white hair and cool behavior on the sideline, looked more like a professor than a football coach. But he could be very tough with the players when he needed to be. He, according to Rathman, told him : "This is pro football. If you **** up, we don't have to keep you." Rathman said that this really got his attention, and also that of players around them who had heard Walsh. This helped Rathman become the player that he was for the rest of his career.

Somehow, maybe I'm wrong, but I can't picture Jim Harbaugh being this blunt to his players. Maybe it's because he is an ex-player, who played in the NFL for a long time. However, there are times (like when Crabs lined up in an illegal formation that killed our first drive in the SB, or when Brooks committed a dumb off-sides penalty that kept the Ravens' drive alive) that it might have been better for Jim to really let them know that he would not tolerate mental mistakes like that.

The penalty on first play of the game...good grief, that is a major self inflicted wound. But bad news is that is coaching. Bad or ineffective coaching. Good news is in two yrs our HC and his team have been to playoffs twice, and SB once, so we have seen it, experienced it. But coaching inexperience , such as first SB play, is on coaches, altho it was the players who did it. Whenever there are screwups, look to the coaches . And JH, OC, DC, adn QB all share in the lesson. None covered themselves in glory, and the story about team guys being in strip clubs nite before games is BAD COACHING.

JH is my hero, but he has a ton to learn. He is learning fast, and hopefully, unlike his brother who with flacco, it took 5 trips to playoffs to get the SB win. I think we do it quicker. But not wth the level of coaching we had this yr. We were good enough to make it to the playoffs, but NOT good enough to win. JH has to get better, and you know he learned a ton from this loss. Roman either has to run the O during the week and then let JH call the game and set the game plan...or i would let roman go. Way too little experience. Fangio? Jeez, we run this beautiful 3-4 , great to blitz from and....he doesn't blitz. Why? Again, I would let fangio run the D during the week to help JH but would have JH call the D and set the D gameplan. Kap, he just needs more games under his belt. Heck he went to SB starting only last 1/3 of the season's games. He will get better. But he needs more help from JH and roman and esp needs more time with play before snap. again, that is coaching. So advice is to stick with it, pray our coaching gets lots better, and fill in the holes for a deep cover guy who is 6'3" and can jump 4 ft vertical. Find and sign 2 starters at WR. GEt 1 new OL , 1 new DL, get new PK, fire or change up the STs so they at least look like they are awake(this was all coaching errror), and hope that a kid who started just 5 reg season games can return with a season's worth of SB memories, and let that trickle thru his brain, getting him ready to take them all on the next time around.
To all our CBs & Safeties, i want you to start jumping routes and look for the ball, you guys did a horrid job this season intercepting passes & creating TOs.

THERE. IS. NOTHING. ELSE.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The penalty on first play of the game...good grief, that is a major self inflicted wound. But bad news is that is coaching. Bad or ineffective coaching. Good news is in two yrs our HC and his team have been to playoffs twice, and SB once, so we have seen it, experienced it. But coaching inexperience , such as first SB play, is on coaches, altho it was the players who did it. Whenever there are screwups, look to the coaches . And JH, OC, DC, adn QB all share in the lesson. None covered themselves in glory, and the story about team guys being in strip clubs nite before games is BAD COACHING.

JH is my hero, but he has a ton to learn. He is learning fast, and hopefully, unlike his brother who with flacco, it took 5 trips to playoffs to get the SB win. I think we do it quicker. But not wth the level of coaching we had this yr. We were good enough to make it to the playoffs, but NOT good enough to win. JH has to get better, and you know he learned a ton from this loss. Roman either has to run the O during the week and then let JH call the game and set the game plan...or i would let roman go. Way too little experience. Fangio? Jeez, we run this beautiful 3-4 , great to blitz from and....he doesn't blitz. Why? Again, I would let fangio run the D during the week to help JH but would have JH call the D and set the D gameplan. Kap, he just needs more games under his belt. Heck he went to SB starting only last 1/3 of the season's games. He will get better. But he needs more help from JH and roman and esp needs more time with play before snap. again, that is coaching. So advice is to stick with it, pray our coaching gets lots better, and fill in the holes for a deep cover guy who is 6'3" and can jump 4 ft vertical. Find and sign 2 starters at WR. GEt 1 new OL , 1 new DL, get new PK, fire or change up the STs so they at least look like they are awake(this was all coaching errror), and hope that a kid who started just 5 reg season games can return with a season's worth of SB memories, and let that trickle thru his brain, getting him ready to take them all on the next time around.

Yeah, most of the time, we didn't even run 3-4 anymore, though. The teams today now like to spread out with 3 or more wide receivers. This forced us to go to Nickel Package and oh boy, the Pats found our weakness. I agree with you not blitzing enough. Vic Fangio needs to create some exotic/disguise blitz that would confuse the QBs.
ace52--I don't see JH as an easy guy on his players. He has been tough and even cut guys (Jacobs being the most obvious) when they didn't stick to the company line. It seems he let the players police themselves a bit more this year and that caused some silly stuff. Moss telling VD to clean up his act was an example of this player leadership, Crabtree's performance seemed to be helped by Moss' tutelage, and J Smith leads by example, as does Willis.

What they need are leaders in the defensive backfield, and offensive line. The line is much better but they still need a definate leader, and Staley is not that guy--he's more of a jokester. A Davis is still immature, Iupati is a quiet guy, Goodwin is still the new kid on the block--though he may be the leader now. The guy I'm watching is Boone. He is too new a starter to demand respect, but he may be moving up the ladder quickly to become the leader.

DBs are leaderless. Goldson has the game to be a leader but he makes too many immature mistakes...late hits when it just isn't necessary. The DBs impress me with their intelligence but they seem to be easy going and are not leaders. I would love to see a guy like Ronnie Lott...sort of a Goldson with leadership qualities.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone