There are 193 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Credence for Steve Young's Comments

I definitely think it's an interesting discussion. And let me state that Kaep is a revelation. I know the pistol is only a formation, not an offense, and, that other than some of the jumbo runs, we can run pretty much the entire O out of the pistol set.

I guess, being a pessimist at heart and pissed after the SB, I'm thinking more along the lines of how much of an advantage was the read-option scheme for us this playoff run and what will happen when teams adjust to that scheme. The rest of the pistol, the counters, the passes, and PA, will still, of course, work.
Originally posted by GORO:
I hate Steve Young as an analyst he speaks and he does not seem to think about what he is saying. Kaep first game he said to use his legs, Kaep passed better than expected. When Alex lost his job, Steve was not for it. He forgot he wanted to take Joe Montanas job, but Alex was to good to keep Kaep on the bench.

Steve Young had more talent around him then Joe Montana and yet he only has one superbowl victory. Kaep passing against baltimore and the OL good run blocking gave then a chance to win, the pistol is just a part of the play book.

Completely agree. Must take what Young says with a grain of salt (if that). I didn't realize this until I saw him doing the 2010 draft.
I think the whole Alex to Kaepernick transition hits a little close to home for Steve Young. I also sense a little jealousy regarding the way most people are receiving Kaepernick. Young had a huge problem with that - people were bitter about him for years because he took over for Montana.
The beauty of the Pistol is it forces DC to plan for one more thing during the week. The Seahawks, Redskins, Panthers and us have QB that can actually run this offense and be effective. With that being said, look at the total body of Romans work and you will see the Niners run a lot of diffrent formations and personnel groupings. To my point we actually saw Kap take snaps directly from under center towards the end of the season than when he first started.
Seems many are confusing the Pistol with the option, but it's much more complicated and versatile than the old option was. My favorite play from the Pistol, and CK is very effective in this, is when he fakes a hand off, takes a step forward and then drops back and passes. That freezes the defense, or they flow toward the LOS, and allows receivers a better chance for a one on one. Love that part of the Pistol.

About the only negative in the Pistol is packing everyone inside the tackles...sort of an anti-spread, but with CK and James or a WR in the backfield there is enough speed to get to the outside, and they can shift depending what the defense is doing. And, as has been said, it isn't a stand alone offense!

Using the Pistol for less than half a year and folks think it is maxed out? They will no doubt be more proficient and fluid next year, plus they will add to it. What is the defense going to do? Blitz six in a run blitz and cover with five and hope for the best?
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think the whole Alex to Kaepernick transition hits a little close to home for Steve Young. I also sense a little jealousy regarding the way most people are receiving Kaepernick. Young had a huge problem with that - people were bitter about him for years because he took over for Montana.

I guess Steve forgot when he played teams wanted to convert him to a Safety. This will only fuel Kaep. I really don't know what Steve has been watching. Kaep can play in standard formations as well and throw from the pocket. Really surprised by Steve's comments.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Feb 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM ]
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

I guess Steve forgot when he played teams wanted to convert him to a Safety. This will only fuel Kaep. I really don't know what Steve has been watching. Kaep can play in standard formations as well and throw from the pocket. Really surprised by Steve's comments.

What? Can you name the teams that wanted to do this? I remember someone in the media saying Young could be moved to Safety because he was such a great athlete. Not even such why this matters anyway...

Young has said nothing but positive things to say about Kaep and the Pistol/read/option. He actually said he wishes he could've run it in the beginning of his career because defenses can't disguise what they trying to do making it easier for the QB to make his pre-snap reads.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
What? Can you name the teams that wanted to do this? I remember someone in the media saying Young could be moved to Safety because he was such a great athlete. Not even such why this matters anyway...

Young has said nothing but positive things to say about Kaep and the Pistol/read/option. He actually said he wishes he could've run it in the beginning of his career because defenses can't disguise what they trying to do making it easier for the QB to make his pre-snap reads.

john Madden said put him at HB.

the 49ers used Young at wr at least twice....youngs body language said he was super pissed to be a wr
Originally posted by Dshearn:

john Madden said put him at HB.

the 49ers used Young at wr at least twice....youngs body language said he was super pissed to be a wr

OK. John Madden says a lot of things. Like RGIII is the best player in the NFL. And didn't Kaep come in to play WR for a couple of plays at the beginning of the season? Didn't alex also? That means nothing.

Young was a good athlete who ran the option in highschool. He didn't pass that much but was a great runner. When he got to BYU(Not the NFL) they seriously thought about moving him to defense because at the time he was third on the depth chart behind Jim Mcmahon and some else I can't remember. BYU had Ted Tolner there as a QB coach and Tollner told them that they should keep Young at QB because he saw a lot of potential.

That whole NFL teams wanted Young to play safety started when someone in the media repeated the story about Youngs early college days and got distorted over time.
Love Young - always have and that ain't changin' .. nonetheless, Young forgets from whence he came …
Originally posted by almondJoy:
Love Young - always have and that ain't changin' .. nonetheless, Young forgets from whence he came …

You mean the L.A. Express????
There is more to Kaep than the pistol formation. His arm strength and accuracy are great. And he's big and strong. He doesn't strike me as ineffective from the pocket.
OK. John Madden says a lot of things. Like RGIII is the best player in the NFL. And didn't Kaep come in to play WR for a couple of plays at the beginning of the season? Didn't alex also? That means nothing.

Young was a good athlete who ran the option in highschool. He didn't pass that much but was a great runner. When he got to BYU(Not the NFL) they seriously thought about moving him to defense because at the time he was third on the depth chart behind Jim Mcmahon and some else I can't remember. BYU had Ted Tolner there as a QB coach and Tollner told them that they should keep Young at QB because he saw a lot of potential.

That whole NFL teams wanted Young to play safety started when someone in the media repeated the story about Youngs early college days and got distorted over time.

I never mentioned the NFL. It was at BYU that they wanted to put him on D.