There are 139 users in the forums

Credence for Steve Young's Comments

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
I think it's true that the read-option will not surprise anyone in 2013, and will lose some of its effectiveness. A general statement would be that the read-option was most effective in 2012 because it just hit the NFL by storm. In 2013, teams will prepare by looking at film from the GB/ATL/BAL game to see what their own team should and shouldn't do to combat the read-option. If that is what Steve Young meant, then I think it's true.

It's also true what most are saying in that Kap is so much more than just the read-option.
we are innovators, his comments mean nothing, this is estupid
Originally posted by thl408:
I think it's true that the read-option will not surprise anyone in 2013, and will lose some of its effectiveness. A general statement would be that the read-option was most effective in 2012 because it just hit the NFL by storm. In 2013, teams will prepare by looking at film from the GB/ATL/BAL game to see what their own team should and shouldn't do to combat the read-option. If that is what Steve Young meant, then I think it's true.

It's also true what most are saying in that Kap is so much more than just the read-option.

You sound like a true politician. Have you considered a career as an NFL Analyst? Kidding.

BTW: Totally agree...
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Just because it will not surprise anyone doesn't make it any less effective in 2013. Like the west cost offense, which was not schemed out of the NFL, the pistol/read option will stay as long as you have a QB that can throw as good as he can run with the ball.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Originally posted by merm49:
One of the things making the loss so tough to deal with for me is the fear that teams will adjust and adapt to the Pistol formation and greatly limit its effectiveness, counterracting one of our greatest advantages.

Steve Young recently made comments to that end, stating that one could make the argument that the Niners really had to get it done this year because the league evolves and adjusts, and next year, teams will be ready for the Pistol. We already saw that to some degree in the CG and SB, as ATL and BAL played Kaep on the read-option and forced him to hand it off on nearly every play.

Now, let me state that I fully believe Kaep is the real deal and elite QB in the making; everyone, from commentators to opponents like Suggs, are raving about CK7, and I couldn't be happier that he is our QB of the future or with his spectacular run this year. He is, quite simply, a revelation. I also understand that the Pistol is less and offense and more a scheme or formation that allows for all types of runs and passes to be called. You have to believe that, just as Ds will adapt to the Pistol, Harbaugh and Kaep will continue to innovate and improve as well.

But what do you guys think. Is it a relevant concern going forward or a non-issue?
This dude isn't a gimmick. He's a good and possibly will be a great quarterback, pistol or no pistol.
Next year C.K. will be big time Hes young watch out its coming
[ Edited by JD9671 on Feb 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Jcool:

Just because it will not surprise anyone doesn't make it any less effective in 2013. Like the west cost offense, which was not schemed out of the NFL, the pistol/read option will stay as long as you have a QB that can throw as good as he can run with the ball.

I think a big reason it was as effective as it was, was because it was new to the scene. I'm not implying that it will be phased out like the run & shoot or the wildcat because I agree with what you said with the bolded. My point is that it may not be as effective as it was in 2012 due to defensive coordinators having more game film to study. Observing what other teams did and tweaking it to best serve their defense. For example, one thing we can assume is that no outside linebacker is going to blindly crash down to play the dive like how the Packer LB did on the 58 yard TD run.

Let's give some credit here to opposing defensive coordinators. They make adjustments too. They evolve as well. The read-option will have its moments, but they will come less frequently in 2013-14 imo. Obviously, I can only speculate. And I hope I am wrong.
The fact that CK can be successful in the Pistol running the read option or as a pocket passer taking snaps from under center will be the key. It is like having a change of pace QB combo in one man.
I like the fact that they can prepare for it but not stop it. Thats the key. Beside the horrible first half in sb we managed a 300 yard passer, 2x100 yard receivers and also 1x100 yard rusher. Pistol is just another variety formations to prepare for and there is no doubt in my mind kaep and co. Can execute the rest of formations. We are just a huge offensive powerhouse waiting to explode if it hasn't already.
Originally posted by kray28:
Speaking of a deep threat...that's what we really need. Moss was supposed to be it, but had clearly lost a step. We need to bring in a serious deep threat to put across from Crabs.

Yes we do--that is a thing that really helped the Ravens they have two solid deep threats.

Kaep said it in an interview himself that tthe pistol and read option are a nice change of pace, yet they are not an every down formation.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Kaep said it in an interview himself that tthe pistol and read option are a nice change of pace, yet they are not an every down formation.

This. That is how it is going to be effective. It is a change of pace to keep the D off balance. With a QB like Kap you can hit the homerun every now and then with it too. I personally think Kap is much more devastating when he scrambles.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:

Kaepernick said he doesn't want to be catagorized. I think he feels he can be just as effective as a pocket passer in a pro set as he is doing anything else.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
It's not about the pistol. It's about designed runs for CK. Do you see anything else besides the read option out of the pistol for CK? Because that's already been stopped.

Greg Roman has publicly stated that the 49ers can run 95% of their current offense out of the Pistol FORMATION - it's JUST a formation, not an end-all be-all play.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000138947/article/jake-locker-to-see-more-readoption-looks-with-titans

Share 49ersWebzone