There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Credence for Steve Young's Comments

Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
He's more of a threat scrambling on broken pass plays than from the pistol. He's the type of player that if take one aspect from his game away, he will just beat you in another way. Pick your poison, really.

It's not about the pistol. It's about designed runs for CK. Do you see anything else besides the read option out of the pistol for CK? Because that's already been stopped.

The 49ers don't really run a lot of designed runs for Kap anyway. In fact, even against Green Bay, most of Kap's runs did not come on designed plays but rather on Kap responding to man-on-man coverage that opened up huge spaces for him to run. In other words, it wasn't simply the pistol that beat Green Bay; it was Kap. Then we saw what happens when defenses try to take away his runs. He kills you from the pocket with his arm strength. And even looking at the Super Bowl, Kap was able to punish the Ravens using both his legs and his arm. That's why I'm not really all that worried about defenses "figuring out" the pistol, as the effectiveness of the 49ers offense is because of Kap's freakish physical skills, and not simply because of a particular formation.

This exactly!
There are some great responses, so I won't hash them out again.

But Young is right, the NFL will change and evolve, and it does it fast. My dad is always raving about the WCO and how we used to "throw to the FB." I had to explain to him that once the WCO disseminated throughout the league, defenses adapted with it. Right after he said that during the game, Keap threw to a RB for a 2 yd gain because a LB dropped him on the spot. LB's got smaller and faster.

Same situation with the Pistol. The Pistol is just a Formation, not a scheme. We happen to run read option out of it, alot like WAS.

The whole point to a good offense is to make a defense "pick your poison."

It is Constraint Thoery. That is, the defense can't defend everything, at once. The read option softens up the middle and opens PA. Once defenses hesitate, you got something going. The point isn't that "they make Kaep hand it off every time." That's fine and dandy, but they will ultimately pay a price for that. Just like blitzing, you will live or die by those calls. Ask Nolan and the Falcons, who DID limit Kaep, about Vernon Davis......they had no answer. They can't "scrape down" onto the QB/HB mesh point every play, drop a safety down into the box to handle the middle AND defend Crabtree AND defend Davis.

Young's point, I think, was: "Get it while the gettin' is good."
I don't actually think we'll see a lot of designed runs for Kaepernick. He's proven to be too effective from the pocket simply as a passer to take too many chances with that approach. And, defenses will still have to contend with his speed knowing that if the pocket breaks apart, he's 20 yards down field before they can hardly react. They don't have to use his speed in designed rushes. They've got Gore, Hunter and James.
Originally posted by theduke85:
If we abandon the Pistol, it's not going to make or break Kaep's future. What's more important is the growth and development of his read progressions. If his first option isn't open, can he find his second and third guys? Sometimes he seems fixated on one option -- the classic tale of a quarterback deciding where he's going with the ball before the snap. I'm confident he will grow in this regard, especially under the tutelage of Jim Harbaugh.

Duke speaks Truth!!
Giving value to the words of Young as to the 9ers must get it done tis season or else, implies that the pistol is the only way. In other words Kaep is Tebow ...

Need I say more??
you don't take away the pistol....

Teams have to choose to defend one thing or the other.

if you defend one part of the offense you attack with the other part.

this is like saying the NFL will figure out zone blocking on offense.... Yea it can be slowed down...but at what cost?

If all you have is RB that runs out side and the occassional trap play inside (Dexter Carter or amp lee) then yea...you can slow that down....put in Terrell Davis and nobody could defend that.

QB running is an x factor and it just so happens the BEAST that plays QB for the 49ers is not a one trick pony
No way they'll just completely take it away. It will be one of their sets and teams that can't figure out how to stop it will see more of it than those who can stop it. It's as simple as that.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
No way they'll just completely take it away. It will be one of their sets and teams that can't figure out how to stop it will see more of it than those who can stop it. It's as simple as that.

you can take out a one trick pony....

CK is so much more....

Gore is so much more....

this Line is so much more...
It will be harder next year. But Kaep can do more than just run. He has a great arm and is tall and big. A strong and accurate arm. He's better from the pocket than people give him credit for. The only game I've seen him run all over the place was vs. the Packers. He's being regarded as a "running QB." I think he's more than that. But the NFL will be tougher for Kaep next year. They had never seen him play before. Only 10 starts. They didn't know how to match up. Now they will have a better book on him. I think our whole offense and Kaep will have a more difficult time next year.
I actually think the offense will be more successful next season because the entire effort will be dedicated to building a cohesive one around Kaepernick. This season was in a constant state of flux. There were new sets and plays every week. The QB change happened half way through. Next season there will be a lot more continuity and the receivers will have a full off season to practice catching those fastballs.
NFL always adjusts and figures out how to defend any offense (even the WCO). Standard formations when you run, you get 9 blockers (qb doensn't block much) against the run. Pistol and Wildcat get you 10.

I think the real question is: Can the DE smack our QB after handing off?? Atlanta's DE didn't smack Kap. Baltimore's did on many occasions and there was no calls for roughing the QB.

If the refs have no problem with, not protecting the QB in the Pistol, the Pistol will be dead in the NFL.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
NFL always adjusts and figures out how to defend any offense (even the WCO). Standard formations when you run, you get 9 blockers (qb doensn't block much) against the run. Pistol and Wildcat get you 10.

I think the real question is: Can the DE smack our QB after handing off?? Atlanta's DE didn't smack Kap. Baltimore's did on many occasions and there was no calls for roughing the QB.

If the refs have no problem with, not protecting the QB in the Pistol, the Pistol will be dead in the NFL.

The way the NFL seems to be heading is preventing big defensive hits. I'll be surprised if they don't start calling that MORE often next season. Because, there is really no reason to hit the QB after he's handed off the ball. It will be a judgment call. Some will call it more than others and it will depend on whether or not the defensive end takes a step after the handoff. If the hit happens simultaneously, they'll probably never call it, but if they start just taking a couple steps and slamming into the QB after he's handed off, I'll bet it will always be a 15 yarder. The NFL wants offense and it doesn't want injuries. They've make that pretty clear.
Steve had like 9 chances to win the big one.

WTF is he talking about.
When I hear stuff like Kaep not being able to sustain his success once teams take away his running ability....I wonder if those people have actually watched Kaep. The guy is a monster in the pocket as well.. That's what makes him so unique. And he will always be able to scramble and make plays with his legs. The guy ran once in Atlanta and beasted. He ran a few times in the SB and beasted. I don't get it.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
When I hear stuff like Kaep not being able to sustain his success once teams take away his running ability....I wonder if those people have actually watched Kaep. The guy is a monster in the pocket as well.. That's what makes him so unique. And he will always be able to scramble and make plays with his legs. The guy ran once in Atlanta and beasted. He ran a few times in the SB and beasted. I don't get it.

Very true. Kap's true upside is his arm, not his running ability. Some of the lasers he fired in the Superbowl were jaw dropping.