There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Part of judging a NT is judging the MLBs who play behind him. Willis and Bowman are all world, I don't think they would be if Sopoaga was a "bad" NT. Would it be great to get a NT in the draft who could collapse the pocket every play? Sure, but how likely is that? To release a guy because we might get a guy who is better...bad planning unless the coach really sees a replacement on the team--Williams, RJF...

LOL.....yes, I'm sure Willis and Bowman are the two best inside linebackers in the NFL because of their mediocre NT. In opposition I say, imagine how beastly those two could be with a true NT, because bottomline, Soap is not an NT, he's a DE playing out of position, he doesn't tie up blockers like an NT is supposed to do, he gets knocked off the ball far more times than is justifiable, simply, he was a so-so fill-in because the team hasn't had a true NT, but if they can acquire a Jesse Williams or Jonathan Jenkins like player, he can go to backing up the DE's or simply walking off into the sunset.

This is kinda true guys. Willis was good when Franklin was the NT and he couldn't break the starting lineup in NO.

Willis' or Bowmans play didn't drop off either. But its not like we're saying NOT to bring in a NT, I for one hope we draft one, but I'd still re-sign Sopoaga too, veteran help is always a plus for the rookies. D-line rotation is important on a defense, and if anyone is playing outta position its RJF at NT, when he lines up at nose teams run right up the middle. But, IMO I think the secondary needs to be fixed or really addressed this off-season.

I'm for re-signing Soap but at the right price. I don't think you can "fix" the secondary without addressing the LOS. We know we have a serviceable defensive backfield. The source of the 49ers defensive problems seem more attributed to the health of Justin Smith than the coverage skills of Brown, Rogers, Culliver, Goldson and Whitner. I think it would be monumental waste of money to invest tens of millions in a secondary without significantly upgrading the DL depth with both pass-rush and guys that demand double-teams other than Justin Smith. If you're LOS is dominant, everything else falls into place.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I'm for re-signing Soap but at the right price. I don't think you can "fix" the secondary without addressing the LOS. We know we have a serviceable defensive backfield. The source of the 49ers defensive problems seem more attributed to the health of Justin Smith than the coverage skills of Brown, Rogers, Culliver, Goldson and Whitner. I think it would be monumental waste of money to invest tens of millions in a secondary without significantly upgrading the DL depth with both pass-rush and guys that demand double-teams other than Justin Smith. If you're LOS is dominant, everything else falls into place.


I do not disagree with this at all, but the NT generally does not sack the QB often or apply much pressure. The 3/4 is designed to allow the LBs to flow to the ball while the DL holds the LOS. If there is any oddity I have noticed over the past two years is that the niner DL is able to stack it up, leaving the team able to rush or blitz fewer people. Fangio said, when he first came to SF, that Willis' one weakness was blitzing and that he would need to learn this skill. They have blitzed the MLBs very seldom, though more in the play offs. It would be really interesting if someone kept a record of how many rush on any passing down. I would bet the niners rush the fewest in the league on average. This is a credit to the DL.

Could they put more pressure on the QB if they blitzed more? I think so. But Willis and Bowman are so good at all aspects of the game that they are often used in coverage.

Edit: But do they need to draft for the DL high this year? I would think so!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM ]
Would not resign him...draft a rookie NT...need to use the money elsewhere....plus Soap was OK but can be replaced
Only at the right price.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I do not disagree with this at all, but the NT generally does not sack the QB often or apply much pressure. The 3/4 is designed to allow the LBs to flow to the ball while the DL holds the LOS. If there is any oddity I have noticed over the past two years is that the niner DL is able to stack it up, leaving the team able to rush or blitz fewer people. Fangio said, when he first came to SF, that Willis' one weakness was blitzing and that he would need to learn this skill. They have blitzed the MLBs very seldom, though more in the play offs. It would be really interesting if someone kept a record of how many rush on any passing down. I would bet the niners rush the fewest in the league on average. This is a credit to the DL.

Could they put more pressure on the QB if they blitzed more? I think so. But Willis and Bowman are so good at all aspects of the game that they are often used in coverage.

Edit: But do they need to draft for the DL high this year? I would think so!
I think a better NT will help Justin Smith on 1st and 2nd down so Justin is fresher for 3rd downs. I've noticed more this season than last season that Justin was double teamed more on run downs, while Sop was single blocked. Than on 3rd downs, Justin was again doubled using that stunt while Aldon was singled.

They need to get at least 2 DL through the draft or FA.
This is a draft deep in defensive line and safety talent. By the time the Niners are done with their first three picks, their defensive line problems could be all but over and they could have a serious new starter at safety. J. Hankens at 6'4", 320, could be a monster at one of the outside DL positions, J. Jenkins at 6'4" 360 could be a prototype NT, and Cyprien could step right in and start at safety. Those three changes would begin to fix almost all that's lacking on the Niners defense right now.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I do not disagree with this at all, but the NT generally does not sack the QB often or apply much pressure. The 3/4 is designed to allow the LBs to flow to the ball while the DL holds the LOS. If there is any oddity I have noticed over the past two years is that the niner DL is able to stack it up, leaving the team able to rush or blitz fewer people. Fangio said, when he first came to SF, that Willis' one weakness was blitzing and that he would need to learn this skill. They have blitzed the MLBs very seldom, though more in the play offs. It would be really interesting if someone kept a record of how many rush on any passing down. I would bet the niners rush the fewest in the league on average. This is a credit to the DL.

Could they put more pressure on the QB if they blitzed more? I think so. But Willis and Bowman are so good at all aspects of the game that they are often used in coverage.

Edit: But do they need to draft for the DL high this year? I would think so!

But the NT allows everyone else to operate more freely and puts more pressure on the offensive line, as a result, creating opportunities for others. Soap wasn't putting much pressure on opposing offensive lines this year, his absolute worst games just happened to coincide with the 49ers worst games defensively, even when other players around him performed passably or even well.


The secondary is not the issue, sure, some upgrades are needed, but this defense's success and failure can both be linked to the defensive line.
I would like to see Sopoaga retained as part of a defensive line with more depth and used mainly as one of the outside defensive tackles and not NT. I'd like to see them draft one of three good draft prospects for that position. After J. Jenkins, the biggest, there are a couple more players in the 340 lb. range. My dream set up for next season would be Sopoaga and Ray trading off on the left, J. Jenkins and Rickey Jean in the middle and J. Hankins trading off with Justin Smith on the right. The combination of Sopoaga, Jenkins and Hankins would be a giant front three (320, 360 and 320). Those three players could theoretically occupy five blockers
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
But the NT allows everyone else to operate more freely and puts more pressure on the offensive line, as a result, creating opportunities for others. Soap wasn't putting much pressure on opposing offensive lines this year, his absolute worst games just happened to coincide with the 49ers worst games defensively, even when other players around him performed passably or even well.


The secondary is not the issue, sure, some upgrades are needed, but this defense's success and failure can both be linked to the defensive line.

Certainly understand this but when Willis or Bowman blitzed they were relatively successful...which supports the idea that the NT was doing his job...though Sop wasn't always in the game during these times. I did see a less effective run defense this year and really do not know who to blame...but I'm unwilling to blame Sopoaga alone for this.

To say the secondary is not the issue seems odd to me. There were wide open receivers coming off the line in many games, so you might say the secondary let down the pass rushers by not pressing. If the opponents QBs were able to release the ball in under three seconds every down then the DBs are indeed part of the problem...or perhaps the scheme. They often gave huge cushions to teams as if they were playing prevent D.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Certainly understand this but when Willis or Bowman blitzed they were relatively successful...which supports the idea that the NT was doing his job...though Sop wasn't always in the game during these times. I did see a less effective run defense this year and really do not know who to blame...but I'm unwilling to blame Sopoaga alone for this.

To say the secondary is not the issue seems odd to me. There were wide open receivers coming off the line in many games, so you might say the secondary let down the pass rushers by not pressing. If the opponents QBs were able to release the ball in under three seconds every down then the DBs are indeed part of the problem...or perhaps the scheme. They often gave huge cushions to teams as if they were playing prevent D.

I think the scheme has to do with that as well. The issue I saw is that this team did very well playing man coverage but struggled playing in the zone, however they couldn't continue with man coverage because they didn't possess the necessary depth to sustain it.


The 49ers have decent cornerbacks, my recommended improvements would be to draft another CB to replace Brock and to develop as a potential starter, additionally, draft a true centerfielder type FS to allow Goldson to move to SS.......I don't see Whitner lasting as a starter with his diminished coverage skills and the league becoming more and more passing friendly.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think the scheme has to do with that as well. The issue I saw is that this team did very well playing man coverage but struggled playing in the zone, however they couldn't continue with man coverage because they didn't possess the necessary depth to sustain it.


The 49ers have decent cornerbacks, my recommended improvements would be to draft another CB to replace Brock and to develop as a potential starter, additionally, draft a true centerfielder type FS to allow Goldson to move to SS.......I don't see Whitner lasting as a starter with his diminished coverage skills and the league becoming more and more passing friendly.

Agree that depth is always an interesting conundrum The salary cap reduces a teams ability to stock backups, yet the best teams seem to be able to have good players in the wings...who are sometimes unknown. Coaching? Certainly helps to have good schemes for players to maximize their talent and coaches to get them up to speed quickly.

I also agree that a safety is a serious need. They may go for a TE or WR if one appears really top value but I expect at least three of the first four picks to be defense.
oooooh … I love Soap …
I think, let Soap is walk away! I love Ray must stay our team!! Ray is too good and play hard.. I love it..
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
I think, let Soap is walk away! I love Ray must stay our team!! Ray is too good and play hard.. I love it..

Ray mac ain't a FA