There are 160 users in the forums

Are the 49ers a "MISSED WINDOW" team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by cciowa:
all i know this is what they have to do if they want to be in the super bowl again

draft justins smiths replacement and get another pass rusher cuz sundays "pass rush: was terrible
also hope brooks, justin and aldon come back healthy
blow up the f**king secondary, all four spots were terrible
fire special teams coach
fire roman
walker did well yesterday but upgrade the back up tight end
admit jenkins was a mistake
hope mario and kyle are back , cut moss and sign or draft a nice wide out, maybe one who can return kicks since ginn will be gone

The passrush is terrible because Vic doesn't blitz a whole lot. They need to send more than 4 guys.

Brad Seely and Roman should stay another year. However, i think Jim needs to consider what type of offense to run in the redzone. That's where i think Roman has the greatest difficulty.

Everything else is spot on.
thank you ,, i think my friend san diego did this but of course,, get a new f**king kicker
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Yes. Superbowl losers dont come back in the modern era.

The Bronco's came back. Is that "modern era" enough?

It was a rebuilt team under Shanahan.
The window is open, but you guys can't possibly know/feel how this could translate into the next season. -It was 'Superbowl or bust' for these guys, and even though the season translated to the ultimate goal, we came up short. Sure you can imagine it might only make this team hungrier/angrier given the misanthropic climax, but I think most of 28+ guys on the squad are 'emotionally' finished with this team. -This is why most teams don't return to the playoffs after a Superbowl loss.

We don't have an 'elite' QB, and our defense only has about 3 guys on it we'll probably even see in 2015; offense will improve, but the defense will continue to hold us back from returning, we are the new Philadelphia Eagles.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by merm49:
My main worry--and what's making this so tough to deal with--is that the defense began to slip up the last several weeks of the season and playoffs. Smith is only getting older, and was obviously crucial to the entire efficacy of the D. Aldon Smith seems largely ineffective without J Smith, though I'm willing to bet his injury was much worse than the team let on. The LBs are the best in the league and still young, but the DBs, particularly the safties, were exposed for what they are: hard hitters who at times struggle in coverage.

We can't keep squandering opportunities like this. We're likely built to be a perennial playoff contender, but that's no guarantee. Tons of teams over the years have been in the playoffs year after year, only to never win the big one. I fear we're that team. We've let two great chances for a championship slip through our fingers the past two years, and shockingly, this year, we were even closer than last year. Until proven otherwise--by winning a SB with this team and this coach--I fear we'll go down like Marino's dolphins, Kelley's Bills, the post 2004 Pats, or the myriad other teams who came oh-so-close but could never seal the deal. With the NFC improving substantially, particularly within our own division, it'll be a challenge to make the playoffs let alone advance all the way to another SB.

You make a lot of good points and I agree with a lot of what you are saying here.
marino was the wonderboy of the nfl in 84 like ck is today but never got back to the super bowl mainly because the dolphins were either unable or unwilling to fix the problems on the team. Jh knows where the problems are on this team. they have been here all year long, pass rush, poor secondary coverage, keystone cops special ed teams and one of the most penalized teams in the nfl. fix the f**king problems coach and admit jenkins was a mistake for gods sake. for three playoff games we had people here proclaiming jenkins would be our secret weapon and would make plays in the big games.. ok
My main worry--and what's making this so tough to deal with--is that the defense began to slip up the last several weeks of the season and playoffs. Smith is only getting older, and was obviously crucial to the entire efficacy of the D. Aldon Smith seems largely ineffective without J Smith, though I'm willing to bet his injury was much worse than the team let on. The LBs are the best in the league and still young, but the DBs, particularly the safties, were exposed for what they are: hard hitters who at times struggle in coverage.

We can't keep squandering opportunities like this. We're likely built to be a perennial playoff contender, but that's no guarantee. Tons of teams over the years have been in the playoffs year after year, only to never win the big one. I fear we're that team. We've let two great chances for a championship slip through our fingers the past two years, and shockingly, this year, we were even closer than last year. Until proven otherwise--by winning a SB with this team and this coach--I fear we'll go down like Marino's dolphins, Kelley's Bills, the post 2004 Pats, or the myriad other teams who came oh-so-close but could never seal the deal. With the NFC improving substantially, particularly within our own division, it'll be a challenge to make the playoffs let alone advance all the way to another SB.

You make a lot of good points and I agree with a lot of what you are saying here.
marino was the wonderboy of the nfl in 84 like ck is today but never got back to the super bowl mainly because the dolphins were either unable or unwilling to fix the problems on the team. Jh knows where the problems are on this team. they have been here all year long, pass rush, poor secondary coverage, keystone cops special ed teams and one of the most penalized teams in the nfl. fix the f**king problems coach and admit jenkins was a mistake for gods sake. for three playoff games we had people here proclaiming jenkins would be our secret weapon and would make plays in the big games.. ok

Special teams coverage cost us all year and it was a dagger in the Super Bowl.
Can't answer the question until the window closes . . . . which it hasn't, not even close.
Seattle is younger than us. A defense just as good as ours. Rams have a decent HC now and a billion picks. Cardinals have arians at hc. Our two best players on each side of the ball are aging.

Special teams coverage cost us all year and it was a dagger in the Super Bowl.

Baalke cutting Blake Constanzo and Colin Jones to sign Brandon Jacobs destroyed our special teams; 70% of our success last year came from Special teams (field position on both sides of the ball).
I believe we are. This was surprisingly a better shot than last year, and we blew it. We most likely won't get back again for a while. Super Bowl trips don't come often.

What makes you think that JH will be better than Don Shula (one of the best coaches ever) in addressing the needs of the team? The jury is still very much out on that.

This team is extremely young and made a lot of mistakes yesterday. keep that in mind.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Seattle is younger than us. A defense just as good as ours. Rams have a decent HC now and a billion picks. Cardinals have arians at hc. Our two best players on each side of the ball are aging.

i think we've got a good future lined up behind gore w/ LMJ and Hunter..... not so much behind justin smith.

i believe"best chances" have past, seattle will be just as good as us next year, and the rams will be be pushing for a playoff spot also. 10 win season in itself next year will be an accomplishment.

but for sure our window is not closed.
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Baalke cutting Blake Constanzo and Colin Jones to sign Brandon Jacobs destroyed our special teams; 70% of our success last year came from Special teams (field position on both sides of the ball).

That's actually a very good point.
I'm a pessimist so I feel we're done. Based on nothing but my gut, I see us going on pittsburgh's path. They went 15 or so years without a SB appearance and when they finally got there, they lost. It took another 10 years for them to get back and win. Maybe when Harbaugh is about to retire we sneak one too.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I believe we are. This was surprisingly a better shot than last year, and we blew it. We most likely won't get back again for a while. Super Bowl trips don't come often.

It's just too tough to get there. The 1990 49ers were pretty much a lock before the NFCCG to go to the SB as the Giants were a clearly inferior team. The 1995 49ers looked great on paper (#1 in offense, #2 in defense), but just like the Packers last year, were dispatched early in the playoffs, just like the 1987 49ers. The 49ers may be a odds-on favorite to get there again next season, but it doesn't mean they will get there without the Lady Luck helping.
Share 49ersWebzone