There are 149 users in the forums

Are the 49ers a "MISSED WINDOW" team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Seriously, you gotta burn the entire history of the 49ers out of your mind after this loss, they're just pictures and highlight reels now, this is what is now, the tradition is dead, this is a different team under a different ownership.

I have no idea what this even means. The Niners are 5-1 in Superbowls. They've been to the NFC Championship game two seasons in a row. They are a totally relevant team again that is in the conversation every season. They have a young team mostly on contract for years. There is no dead tradition. That's just silly. Tradition doesn't die. It is history. History is always there. It's a standard to live up to and this team is close to living up to it - a lot closer to greatness than most of the teams in the league.
i like snake alot and i am very angry and shrill today but G is right
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by merm49:
My main worry--and what's making this so tough to deal with--is that the defense began to slip up the last several weeks of the season and playoffs. Smith is only getting older, and was obviously crucial to the entire efficacy of the D. Aldon Smith seems largely ineffective without J Smith, though I'm willing to bet his injury was much worse than the team let on. The LBs are the best in the league and still young, but the DBs, particularly the safties, were exposed for what they are: hard hitters who at times struggle in coverage.

We can't keep squandering opportunities like this. We're likely built to be a perennial playoff contender, but that's no guarantee. Tons of teams over the years have been in the playoffs year after year, only to never win the big one. I fear we're that team. We've let two great chances for a championship slip through our fingers the past two years, and shockingly, this year, we were even closer than last year. Until proven otherwise--by winning a SB with this team and this coach--I fear we'll go down like Marino's dolphins, Kelley's Bills, the post 2004 Pats, or the myriad other teams who came oh-so-close but could never seal the deal. With the NFC improving substantially, particularly within our own division, it'll be a challenge to make the playoffs let alone advance all the way to another SB.

You make a lot of good points and I agree with a lot of what you are saying here.
marino was the wonderboy of the nfl in 84 like ck is today but never got back to the super bowl mainly because the dolphins were either unable or unwilling to fix the problems on the team. Jh knows where the problems are on this team. they have been here all year long, pass rush, poor secondary coverage, keystone cops special ed teams and one of the most penalized teams in the nfl. fix the f**king problems coach and admit jenkins was a mistake for gods sake. for three playoff games we had people here proclaiming jenkins would be our secret weapon and would make plays in the big games.. ok

Special teams coverage cost us all year and it was a dagger in the Super Bowl.

Baalke cutting Blake Constanzo and Colin Jones to sign Brandon Jacobs destroyed our special teams; 70% of our success last year came from Special teams (field position on both sides of the ball).

That was an absolute disaster. Cost us big in the Super Bowl.
Seriously, you gotta burn the entire history of the 49ers out of your mind after this loss, they're just pictures and highlight reels now, this is what is now, the tradition is dead, this is a different team under a different ownership.

I have no idea what this even means. The Niners are 5-1 in Superbowls. They've been to the NFC Championship game two seasons in a row. They are a totally relevant team again that is in the conversation every season. They have a young team mostly on contract for years. There is no dead tradition. That's just silly. Tradition doesn't die. It is history. History is always there. It's a standard to live up to and this team is close to living up to it - a lot closer to greatness than most of the teams in the league.

I know right?

We could have hired Billick or something and now be wallowing away with Blaine Gabbert or some other garbage at quarterback. With a .500 record talking about the draft.

I would much rather be talking about the Super Bowl we almost had, than talking about a top ten draft pick 4 weeks ago.
Okay, maybe drama queens is too much. But really you guys. I see the window opening, not closing. I see the window opening to a six or seven year span where the Niners are in the conversation every year.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I believe we are. This was surprisingly a better shot than last year, and we blew it. We most likely won't get back again for a while. Super Bowl trips don't come often.

It's just too tough to get there. The 1990 49ers were pretty much a lock before the NFCCG to go to the SB as the Giants were a clearly inferior team. The 1995 49ers looked great on paper (#1 in offense, #2 in defense), but just like the Packers last year, were dispatched early in the playoffs, just like the 1987 49ers. The 49ers may be a odds-on favorite to get there again next season, but it doesn't mean they will get there without the Lady Luck helping.

You need lack of injuries and the ball to bounce your way.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

I know right?

We could have hired Billick or something and now be wallowing away with Blaine Gabbert or some other garbage at quarterback. With a .500 record talking about the draft.

I would much rather be talking about the Super Bowl we almost had, than talking about a top ten draft pick 4 weeks ago.

True. This helps.

Thanks.
I understand Snake's overreaction, I bought into a lot of his hype.
Honestly, I think with Alex Smith at QB the team had a "window." He needed certain things around him (great D and running game) to be successful we've seen how fast a defense can go from great to no so good. If Kaepernick is what he seems, this team will be good for a long time. Teams with terrific QB's generally don't have many down years. Hopefully he'll keep getting better and he doesn't regress.
I am 100% confident we will be in the playoffs again next year. And as we saw with the Ravens of this year: Once you get to the playoffs... anything can happen.

I agree that our defense might take a small step back next year, but I firmly believe our offense will take one or two LARGE leaps forward. Seahawks will be a pain in our ass for a few years to come, but I think we will have a better record than them for a third season in a row come next December. They have too many tough match ups on the road where they have yet to prove they can win consistently.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Our offensive line is best in the league and a youn units. Willis Bowman and Aldon are all young Justin has a couple years left and if we get replace his value with either another DE or NT to take on double teams. Our secondary is young but a trade for Revis if he can pass physical will sure up secondary. We need a compliment to Crabtree and a replacement for Ginn/ Williams. Hunter back next year will be good too. Gores heart will be the hardest thing to replace

Originally posted by BrianGO:

I know right?

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.
dont compare us to the bills. they lost 4 SBs in a row haha
  • fryet
  • Veteran
This coming year, our starting QB will only be making 1 million dollars. So we can afford to keep our entire team together if we want. After that, he will probably be making 20 million a year, unless he regresses (which for a young QB can happen). Once we have so much tied into the QB position, other parts of the team will start to atrophy due to the salary cap.

So in short, I think our window is wide open for next year, and we could be even better, if we can draft a good DL to work with Justin Smith. Kaepernick "should" be better as well.

After next year, the window will start to close, as we start to have to let talented players go. Our hope at that point is that Kaepernick's play can make up for a weaker team in other areas.
Kaep may be better and the offense may be better next year. There is no doubt about that. It's our D with Justin Smith I worry about and Dashon Goldson as a FA.

kaep will be better with mario/kyle/hunter coming back goldson and smith we'll be back and unstoppable .... unless theres a serious injury
[ Edited by evo9mrjr on Feb 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM ]
I don't follow local professional sports to wallow in pessimism. It's an escape for me and I choose to remain optimistic . . . and with this roster and coaching staff its very easy to remain optimistic in spite of yesterday.
Share 49ersWebzone