There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are the 49ers a "MISSED WINDOW" team?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I wouldn't say the window is closing but they stunk up what could be a once in a chance opportunity. Let's just loo at the Ravens. Took them 12 years to get back to the bowl.

Well that's a good example. It took them 12 years to get back. No guarantee you go every year.

just look at the Giants. Won it all last year, didn't even make the playoffs this year.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
And on the flip side of the coin, you have Kaep getting the benefits of a full off season program, the staff being able to integrate a system that fully maximizes Kaep's unique skills, and the likelihood that next year's receiver corp will not be decimated for a third season in a row.
These are all good points, especially the staff having a full offseason to optimize our system for Kaep.
with mario manningham, kyle william and of course kendall hunter, our offense should be explosive and dont have to worry about frank gore pounding the ball to hard next year.
[ Edited by Rocket4989 on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM ]
2011 wasn't a lost a year. No one expected us to be one fumble away from the Super Bowl. Hell, I predicted a 6-10 season. So having the #2 seed, making it to the NFCCG and being so close to the Super Bowl after not making the Playoffs for 9 straight years... that was definitely a success.

But this year? Yeah...
Maybe true. But Justin Smith and Frank Gore are age and injury concerns. And Dashon Goldson is a FA. So there are some questions.

And on the flip side of the coin, you have Kaep getting the benefits of a full off season program, the staff being able to integrate a system that fully maximizes Kaep's unique skills, and the likelihood that next year's receiver corp will not be decimated for a third season in a row.

The point being, you don't know what's going to happen next year, but with the nucleus of the team being so young, it strikes me as a bit over the top to suggest that or window is anything but wide open.

Kaep may be better and the offense may be better next year. There is no doubt about that. It's our D with Justin Smith I worry about and Dashon Goldson as a FA.

Smith is a legitimate question mark, given his age. But the guy is tough and focused, I wouldn't bet against him. As for Goldson, we can always franchise him again if necessary (although I hope that isn't the case).
Originally posted by drakan:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I wouldn't say the window is closing but they stunk up what could be a once in a chance opportunity. Let's just loo at the Ravens. Took them 12 years to get back to the bowl.

Well that's a good example. It took them 12 years to get back. No guarantee you go every year.

just look at the Giants. Won it all last year, didn't even make the playoffs this year.

The Giants and Eli are tremendous and they didn't make the playoffs. So you don't know what will happen. The Packers went 15 - 1 and lost their first playoff game last year. No guarantees for an annual trip to the Super Bowl.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
all i know this is what they have to do if they want to be in the super bowl again

draft justins smiths replacement and get another pass rusher cuz sundays "pass rush: was terrible
also hope brooks, justin and aldon come back healthy
blow up the f**king secondary, all four spots were terrible
fire special teams coach
fire roman
walker did well yesterday but upgrade the back up tight end
admit jenkins was a mistake
hope mario and kyle are back , cut moss and sign or draft a nice wide out, maybe one who can return kicks since ginn will be gone
Maybe true. But Justin Smith and Frank Gore are age and injury concerns. And Dashon Goldson is a FA. So there are some questions.

The point being, you don't know what's going to happen next year, but with the nucleus of the team being so young, it strikes me as a bit over the top to suggest that or window is anything but wide open.

Kaep may be better and the offense may be better next year. There is no doubt about that. It's our D with Justin Smith I worry about and Dashon Goldson as a FA.

Despite some season-ending injuries and Justin Smith playing hurt, the 49ers were a remarkably healthy team throughout the season. Don't count on that happening consistently.
1) The 49ers winning the game in the 4th quarter last year in the NFC Championship fumble 2 punts. One in the 4th quarter and one in overtime to lose a narrow game. Miss the Super Bowl. (2011)

Result = Come up short. Lost year.

2) The following year the 49ers advance 1 step further but fall hugely behind 28 - 6 by the 3rd quarter. They didn't even play the 1st two quarters. Simply horrible. Then fight all the way back and have 1st and goal at the 7 with minutes left for a chance to win the Super Bowl. They then blow all 4 plays and questionable calls. (2012)

Result = Come up short. Lost year.

A top flight team that comes up short year after year. We have seen this before. It's the BUFFALO BILLS SYNDROME. Can't close the deal.

You only have so much window and I fear we are wasting it. Justin Smith is not getting younger and already is starting to show signs of injury and wear and tear. Frank Gore is getting older and has taken a pounding over the years. Dashon Goldson is a FA again. Do we Franchise him again? Will we let him go to save money?

Everybody thought Dan Marino would be in Super Bowl after Super Bowl. But he made it only once and never again. There is no guarantee we will be back.

the 49ers didn't deserve to win the game. They lacked passion for the majority of the game.

I tink the bills were simply outmatched by the cowboys and redskins. I think their only legit shot was beating the Giants as the bills were the better team IMO.
we're 6-8 in the NFCCG....... we've got a great history, but along with that a whole a*s load of miss opportunities.
Originally posted by cciowa:
all i know this is what they have to do if they want to be in the super bowl again

draft justins smiths replacement and get another pass rusher cuz sundays "pass rush: was terrible
also hope brooks, justin and aldon come back healthy
blow up the f**king secondary, all four spots were terrible
fire special teams coach
fire roman
walker did well yesterday but upgrade the back up tight end
admit jenkins was a mistake
hope mario and kyle are back , cut moss and sign or draft a nice wide out, maybe one who can return kicks since ginn will be gone

The passrush is terrible because Vic doesn't blitz a whole lot. They need to send more than 4 guys.

Brad Seely and Roman should stay another year. However, i think Jim needs to consider what type of offense to run in the redzone. That's where i think Roman has the greatest difficulty.

Everything else is spot on.
I'm pumped about this team. We need youth on defense, a DL rotation, and honestly a lot of help on the back-end... but wow. Our offense will be great w/ Kaep, Crabtree, VD, and LMJ/Hunter for years to come. Our defense will have LBs for the next 3-4 years... Our O-Line is NASTY and will continue to improve. Remember it's Boone's FIRST starting year.

I mean COME ON! We are in this thing! s**tTY loss yesterday but to think our window is lost is a loser attitude. I know these guys will want it even more next year.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
we're 6-8 in the NFCCG....... we've got a great history, but along with that a whole a*s load of miss opportunities.

Yes we have missed some.
It's possible we missed our window. I only say that because its never a guarantee you make it this far. It's extremely difficult.

However, this is a young team with an elite QB. We will be in contention for the next 10 years.

Even the 49ers in their glory days had missed golden opportunities. '83, 87, 90, 92, 93. All "lost seasons". Didn't stop them from continuing to compete for a SB.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM ]
I don't think so, not at all. The main core of this team is still young. And the team has just now found its franchise QB. With the right changes and upgrades at a few places the team will be right back in the mix this upcoming season. The loss is painful and a shot in the big dance is guaranteed to no team. But this team is far from a missed window.
[ Edited by 49erRob on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM ]