LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Defense: Your Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Pass rush. We have good DB's, other than Whitner, but even he would be fine if we had more push up front. We have to draft a DT, we should have done that 2 years ago, and last year.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by Sourball:
Agreed. How many high floaters did Flacco just toss up out there for ridiculous completions that 49er DB's had no idea were even coming? You would have thought that at least one could have been intercepted.
There were two on their second drive of the game that baffled me.

First play, Flacco was getting pressured, scrambled back about 10-15 yards and somehow threw a perfect pass to Pitta on the sideline for an 8-yard gain.

Second one, Flacco scrambled out to his right and bombed it downfield for a 30-40 yard completion to Anquan Boldin. Both times, he was facing heavy pressure. So e managed to make brilliant throws on the run AND with pressure in his face.

Those both really impressed me.
On both of these passes I couldn't understand for the life of me why Whitner was flying up to the line of scrimmage instead of playing coverage. This also happened on the long touchdown to Jones.
I didn't see Flacco hurried or harried near enough. My recollections were mostly he had too much time in the pocket. And nothing makes a secondary look bad when a QB has the time to pick you apart.
The Niners had 9 defensive players play at least 90% of all defensive snaps this year. The next closest team had 6. I think lack of depth really hurt us down the stretch.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
I didn't see Flacco hurried or harried near enough. My recollections were mostly he had too much time in the pocket. And nothing makes a secondary look bad when a QB has the time to pick you apart.

I also remember about 4 plays where I was screaming where we were literally inches from bringing Flacco down and he eluded the defenders. So frustrating.
I just got this weeks SI and the first page of the Super Bowl story has the throw that Flacco threw for a TD to Jacoby Jones and the still pic has a clear holding of Aldon Smith on it. Thought that was pretty funny.
After watching the game a couple of times I think the major issue with the defense has to be the line. We have no rotation and everyone looked tanked by the start of the 4th. Justin Smith actually had to be taken out for a play because he was beat red, sweating, and breathing really hard. Our CBs have been flamed pretty hard lately but there not shutdown corners. They're great at playing man for about 4 seconds. We didn't get any rush on nickle packages and when we did we missed the sack and Flacco made a couple of plays off that. The lack of rush was killing our corners. 3 seconds and the rush should be in the QBs face. That being said I like Brown and Cully. I would like them to next season. I do think Rodgers is overpaid though.

We really need another NT and a pass rushing DE. I dont see how we continue dominating without those things. We have to best LB core in the game and we have to have a line thats fresh. I hope we address it FA so we can get an experienced player in their ASAP.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
The defense clearly wasnt the same down the stretch this season. We've struggled to stop the pass the last 4-5 games. So what's the problem? What do we need to add this offseason?

Pass rush?
Corners?
Defensive line?

I also think its strange that the defense carried the team when the offense was struggling (last year & part of this year). Now that the offense has caught up, the defense has regressed. If we could put it all together, we'd be the champs tonight.

Your answer is Justin Smith. The defense went way down since basically the moment he got injured.

The defense as a whole performed more poorly than last season.

Justin Smith played very well, but wasn't nearly as dominant as in 2011, same with Ray McDonald.

Carlos Rogers and Chris Culliver both played more poorly and were hot and cold too often.

There was little to no defensive depth, too many guys played way too many snaps, that has to change.

Soap and Whitner both crapped the bed, Whitner gave up more touchdown's than any other defensive back in football, Soap was routinely abused and knocked around at the line of scrimmage. Whitner simply doesn't have the coverage skills, Soap simply isn't a good or even decent NT. He played out of his mind last season and still managed to be only average.
This is why they're looking at players like Hankins in the draft, a defensive tackle who is 6'4", 360 lbs. and Jesse Williams at 6'4", 320 lbs.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
This is why they're looking at players like Hankins in the draft, a defensive tackle who is 6'4", 360 lbs. and Jesse Williams at 6'4", 320 lbs.
Three SIXTY!?!??!!

Three SIXTY!?!??!!

Weak sauce, there's a guy coming out next year who is 6'6" and almost 380 and plays NT.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
Three SIXTY!?!??!!

Yeah. They might be serious about getting bigger in the middle of the defensive front.
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I thought our secondary turned in one of the worst performances in Super Bowl history.

Buh bye Culliver.

You know, I rewatched that game, and if Chris Culliver didnt play, we would have won that super bowl. He was so rattled and intimidated, anybody off the bench would have been the better choice. They should have had a plan B after he buried himself in the media.
Draft a good DE with our first round pick, then CB with 2nd round pick. We have to improve our pass rush at the D-line but also tighten up the secondary defense. A lot of our struggles came from not having a quality rotation in defense. Our starters are great, but they get worn down over the season (Aldon Smith) and need help. Looking for Justin Smith's replacement should be #1 priority. He'll be coming off surgery this offseason + 1 year older, so we desperately need a quality young player who can fill in and shoulder a big role on defense. Our cornerbacks were burned bad these playoffs and we need to address that, most likely through the draft.
I think our problem is our DC. I like Vic but damn.. Why wait till halftime to make the adjustments, get on the sideline... Also where is the bully?? We have become a "safe" defense... The D will get some new toys this draft and Vic will have 1 more chance.. I believe we will continue to build through young guys but with Jims fire for football..

Needs for the D are:
1. NT- We need a attitude in the middle for 3 downs. Ice get 1yr. if he wants it. RJF leaves cause he doesnt play ST
2. S- Draft one early, Goldson get 2 year sweet 14mil (alex smiths contract) best 2 safeties play between Whitner/Goldson and rookie to jump in for long term
3. DE- A workout warrior type guy for 94 to mentor and rotate with
4. CB- Iron sharpens Iron. I like Brown but I think he cashs in else where (Jax or Pit) and it is a passing league
Share 49ersWebzone