LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

What does Trent do??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm sure most of the decisions have already been made.
they need to cut the special teams coach as well. our sepcial teams sucked this year and that return is unnacceptable in the playoffs, let alone the superbowl.
Originally posted by 9ersnation:
Lol at all the cut Whitner and Culliver posts. Wasn't there best games, but come on

Yea I think that's overreaction.

I'd be asking for player's heads if the Ravens had blown us out, but that wasn't the case. We were in position to win at the end, it was just Raven's destiny.

If I was Baalke my priority would be Dline depth, we need to find the next Justin Smith.
We have the most complete team. But we need depth on defense... there is a reason we didn't do well toward the end of the year. When you play 12-13 guys only on defense a season takes its toll.

That said. We need to obviously get rid of Akers/Alex to open up cap to sign our draft picks... but when it comes to the draft... just draft the best player available no matter who it is.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Yea I think that's overreaction.

I'd be asking for player's heads if the Ravens had blown us out, but that wasn't the case. We were in position to win at the end, it was just Raven's destiny.

If I was Baalke my priority would be Dline depth, we need to find the next Justin Smith.

we need some sort of rotation on pass rushers. Justin was clearly hurting last night. He battled... and will be back next season.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
1. Trade Alex Smith for whatever we can get, cut him if we have to but it shouldn't come to that.

2. Work on Goldson long term or tag him at the worst. Like pdizio said it would be awesome to see Goldson at SS and a ballhawking FS but doubt they move him this far into his career. I always though Goldson was more of a SS. A few years back I wanted to move him to SS and draft Thomas to play SS. Not sure Whitner is the future. Great guy, solid player, physical good against the run game but this is a passing league. He will only get slower and he already struggles in coverage. We have one more year of him. I'd like more rangy guys back there since nobody runs in this league anymore.

3.Trade some of the picks for 1 round higher picks next year if possible... ex 2013 4th rounder for 2014 3rd rounder. In 2014 we will be back to 8 picks (with 7 for jones). We need to get more for 2014, don't need 13+ picks.

4. Possibly think about trading the farm for a top player. Maybe a #2 WR to put us over the top but at the same time it looks like the offense is fine, it's the defense that is on the decline. Maybe a stud pass rusher to take over for Smith and give him breathers in the mean time.

5. DRAFT CB's and DE's and possibly a NT who can get pressure. This is a passing league... why run the ball for a few yards a pop when you can pass it?

6. #2 TE who is big and tall... can block... get 1st downs and touchdowns. If we re-sign Walker make sure he spends all offseason on the jugs machine.

7. Maybe look into upgrading NT... Not sure RJF is the answer, Sopoaga is decent but it would be nice to get someone who could collapse the pocket.

8. Tell the coaches to teach Brooks to stop jumping offsides and to not stop in the middle of a play.

9 Looney or Kilgore could be the future at C, if not draft one. Probably keep Goodwin for this last year.

10. new blood on special teams as well... we were outstanding last year, this year the kick game and coverage were awful a good chunk of the year. Need a new kicker, maybe draft a guy who is a ST ace

Side note, f'd over by injuries again. Boy could we have used Hunter, Williams and especially Manningham out there. He has always been clutch.

even if we cut Smith would we get a compensatory 3rd round pick in 2014 if he starts and plays well ?
One thing for sure, Trent will not sit still.

He's a mover and I'd bet he's been working on DLine and secondary for a while.

He'll probably pick up a FA that nobody is thinking about coming to Niners.
IF Manningham fully heals, we're pretty good at WR, but Moss may retire and if he doesn't, Baalke simply doesn't re-sign him. That said, we'll need another WR...FA pool isn't great, but there are a few like Massaquoi, Wallace, Bowe, Floyd worth pursuing. I'd love to see Baalke draft Zach Ertz...a playmaking TE opposite Vernon would really give Kap a real redzone threat. Don't sell Jenkins out just yet...many, many young WR's have taken 2-3 yrs to fully develolp. Still think he could be a good slot receiver.

Biggest turnover is likely to be on defense...new NT, new DE, CB's, S, LB depth all needed. Talent's out there, in FA and the draft. I see no reason Baalke won't use his 14 picks (could be more by trading Alex) to get some real blue-chippers. Could be more opportunity for them to make the roster next season, depending on who Baalke lets go.
Share 49ersWebzone