LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

What does Trent do??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Strong safety is always the weakest point on a strong secondary. Point blank period.
And every good qb looks to isolate that match-up once they are able to pick up his assignment on the play or hell they just give an errant try sometimes.

Whitner does his job most of the time. He starts as run support at the snap and then goes coverage, with great difficulty.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
We have alot of picks in this years draft and a Alex as trade bait. There will be moves made.

I'm up to the thought of Revis on this team.
Trade alex smith and a 3rd or 4th rounder to jets for D Revis we need a good corner not above average corner. Plus title take a huge load off of Cullys back so he can develope
I know for one that Trent Baalke is not going to go out on a ledge as it seems some fans are doing. It's tough, especially considering how hard it is to get to this game. Look at New England for example. As good as they are, even they don't go every year. The only thing I will say is that we are pretty good on both sides of the ball and our biggest threat in the NFC is in our own division.

I don't think we should create new needs based off of this one game. For example, Chris Culliver all of a sudden is not a terrible corner. I think sticking his foot in his mouth really cost him because he picked a fine time to have the worse game of his career. He's still ok and I don't ever expect him to have a game like this again.

On offense, our offensive line is pretty much set. We only need to pick up a swing tackle and another player for depth. I'd prefer to get the tackle in free agency, if a decent one is available. Basically a Leonard Davis type contract. We can draft one of two extra lineman to replace Goodwin who will be gone either this offseason or the next.

I'm so glad CK and Vernon Davis are beginning to click. It's also nice that Delanie Walker is catching the ball a bit better. However, that doesn't change the fact that I still would like to draft a TE with one of our picks in the first three rounds. DW brings a lot to the table obviously and is deserving of a longterm contract. If we can get him for a decent deal (probably not likely), we could have a group of TEs that are uncoverable in Davis, Ertz/Eifert, and Walker. And at least one of our guys would have reliable hands .

Outside of health concerns, I like Mario Manningham. The guy is clutch and if he could stay healthy, he could be a number 2. With that said, I expect a draft pick in the first four rounds, Manningham, and AJ Jenkins to have a nice competition for that starter spot opposite of Crabtree. And if Baalke's ability to pick out good players hasn't suddenly departed, the longshot may win the competition (Jenkins). Kaepernick needs another deep threat to take advantage of that arm he has. I think a full offseason as the starter will do Jenkins a lot of good with CK. Hopefully either Manningham and/or Kyle Williams will be healthy enough to participate this offseason.

Our running backs are fine and I think the rumors of Gore declining are greatly exaggerated. I expect him to play out his contract. With that said, I wouldn't be upset if they tried to draft a back in his mold that can potentially replace him. The name Marcus Lattimore has been thrown around in the draft forum as a 4th or 5th round pick if he is available. I wouldn't mind Stephan Taylor if we could get him in the 4th. However any healthy back would probably have to play special teams because carries would be few and far between in 2013.

Other than that, our offense is set. It may seem crazy use 3 of our first five picks on offense, but at the present time, I think we are very close to being an elite offense. If our current guys play at their current level and the rookie TE and receiver can come in and simply do average, we are in the top 5.

On defense, we knew D-line and the secondary was a weakness before. The other 2 of those first five picks are going to the defensive line. The other 7-9 picks that we have can be used for trades, secondary guys, and an ILB to replace Grant who is probably gone.

Good season overall and one solace we have, is that with such a long season, we won't have to wait long for the combine, free agency, and the draft. This will be the most interesting a pivotal offseason yet. One that could set us up for the next 5 + years.
Originally posted by Baldie:
We have alot of picks in this years draft and a Alex as trade bait. There will be moves made.

I'm up to the thought of Revis on this team.

Who isn't? The question is can we comfortably afford him?

I don't think we can...
I really think it needs to be all about the D line.

Justin is getting older, and really if he isn't 100% the D-line really wasn't getting as much pressure. It seemed like Aldon was also a little bit dinged too. We need a disruptive force on the line. It doesn't matter if it is Justin's position or not, but he just needs to be a beast. Our Secondary will look much better with more pressure up front.

After that, I really think that DB, and WR are the next needs, followed by maybe drafting a kicker, and then BPA.

I don't see us signing many free agents, though there is always the A. smith trade possibility.
[ Edited by dtcomposer on Feb 4, 2013 at 6:10 AM ]
Offense is set. Get Mario, Kendall and Kyle back and our offense is potent.

Defensively, need depth on the pass rush (draft) and at least one good corner to compliment Rogers (free agency).

We're on the brink folks. I know its tough to swallow right now, but we really are close to being a complete team.

Oh, and a FG kicker would be an added bonus.
Originally posted by GoGetit:
He screwed some past players. Didn't develop them. Also, get culliver and whither out

What the hell does that mean? By the way, GM's don't develop players........coaches do. Who are you referring to anyway?
Trade for Revis for one year. We have a ton of picks and could get more for Alex.
Originally posted by niners9:
Trade for Revis for one year. We have a ton of picks and could get more for Alex.

I know no one will want this, but this acquisition would make us an instant SB champion. Yes, I know the motto should be longterm team unity, but it's exactly the kick in the ass we needed in 1994 to get over the proverbial hump.

Losing Alex and gaining Revis might not be a big hit on the cap for one season, and having a shutdown corner with our pass rush would make us unstoppable on both sides of the ball.

Originally posted by HudsonValley:
I know no one will want this, but this acquisition would make us an instant SB champion. Yes, I know the motto should be longterm team unity, but it's exactly the kick in the ass we needed in 1994 to get over the proverbial hump.

Losing Alex and gaining Revis might not be a big hit on the cap for one season, and having a shutdown corner with our pass rush would make us unstoppable on both sides of the ball.

Need to speak to AB and see if we could afford him. From looking at his salary breakdown I think we could cut Rodgers, trade Smith and bring in Revis.

But Baalke doesn't seem to ever want to do business for big time free agents. So this probably won't happen
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
On offense we need a WR, probably two. We need a Center. And we need another TE.

Defense we need Depth on the DL and at OLB, and we need help in the secondary.

This 2013 draft will be very important to the long term success of this team.

It will be important, not just because who we need but bringing in players at certain spots that we may lose and making sure they develop. In the next two years we have to take care of Ice, cowboy, Aldon, Iupati, Anthony Davis, Gore, Kaep, Goldson. We better have some contingency plans in place. The cap is gunna get real tight. Say Goldson gets a contract, even if Alex isn't on the payroll next year, we will be stairing the barrel of having to pay Iupati and Davis big time O Line money, Aldon will get paid as a top tier pass rusher(even if he has a so so yr next yr), and what do we give Cowboy???
Need to get younger on defense. It's clear that this group got worn down.

And get at least 1 playmaker in the secondary.
FOR SURE - Trent won't morgae the farm for player. Thank God!

The DLine needs a quality rotation - which is obvious we don't have. As soon as Justin went down - the D suffered. So, in order to get a Rotation, we need 2 DE who can conrtibute immediately, a real NT, a VERY solid cover corner. Developing a quality rotation will keep our starters fresh and develop our future starters.

A young, BIG and fast WR. No more little guys - we have enough.

A Kicker - We lucked on the missed FG.
big WR with some speed opposite of crabtree.
Dline help because justin is old and soap is getting up there too. CORNERS. two of them. and another pass rushing end. on offense i think were all set besides another WR who can start. defense needs some preventative maintainance for the older guys and a couple upgrades
Share 49ersWebzone