There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Culliver > Can't cover
Whitner > Can't cover
Rogers > Can't cover
Brown > better in coverage than the 3 above but is not a shut down corner

JohnBaugh exploited the 49ers DB's and it cost us from the get go.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/26/speculation-commences-on-what-jets-could-get-for-revis/
"They're going to ask for two [first-round picks],'' the source said, which coincidentally is the same package they got for receiver Keyshawn Johnson 13 years ago. "It's going to take probably a first and a third [round pick] and salary . . . picking up the money end of it is a big consideration as well. Maybe a throw-in seventh-round pick depending on how well he does.''

sounds like bullsh*t. As the PFT article says, "that sounds ridiculously high"
Give them Alex and a 1st round for Revis.
DL line. We need quality rotation on the D line. Our passrush goes through Justin Smith, that has to change
No it doesn't we need more help from the d-line, NOBODY can cover as long as we have had to, that's the whole point in protecting a QB, any QB given time will gash you deep. If hear f**king Reves's name one more time my head will explode, IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW GOOD YOU DB'S ARE IF YOU CAN'T GET TO THE QB!/ thread
A new kicker that can hit FG's.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
A good d-line will cure our trouble on the back end! we need to pressure the QB and close the a-gap runs!

Exactly. Culliver is fine as a cornerback, but they do need another young corner to develop for the future. Brown is a free agent next year, he'll be looking for a raise, not all that sure I want him back. Ideally I'd like to see them go DE/NT/CB with their first 3 picks and then draft another cornerback towards the latter part of the draft as well.

They need to focus on the pass rush and the defensive line, they need to be able to generate a more consistent pass rush, they went too many games this year without having a pass rush to keep opposing QB's uncomfortable in the pocket, when you give an NFL QB as much time as the 49ers gave to guys like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, they will pick you apart, you could have 3 times healthy, prime Revis back there, you'll still get beat. Seattle's all-world secondary got toasted by Atlanta at times because they couldn't generate a pass rush.


Originally posted by eonblue:
Cullivers not the problem. Hes good man cover corner but he got exposed against Boldin who is a beast. So did brown and Rodgers. The thing is hes young and he still has got some growing to do mentally and physically but hes the future of our CBs so get used to him. He has one of the lowest yards per coverage among all the corners in the league and he hasnt even reached his potential.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/31/signature-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/

I think we thought Rodgers was a shutdown corner and he is but he was beaten frequently this season. I think for the money were paying him we could find someone better suited to shutdown the sides of the field. All we really need is one guy who can cover the whole side of the field and things become much easier. The jets are going to be offloading one of their corners maybe thats a good way to go and cut rodgers.

I think Whitner is the issue with our secondary. I know that without the pass rush the secondary is exposed but during the playoffs the guy blew assignments. The corners didn't make it easy but when it came down to him needing to make a plays he usually was giving them up instead of making them. He gave up 8 tds in his covearage(the most in the league among safeties) and 14 first downs.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/30/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-safeties/

Goldson is a FA and after next season Whitner is. Im not going to talk about big FA signings so lets just say we resign Goldson. We draft a strong safety prospect who shows good discpline in coverages and then let Whitner walk.

I may be wrong about this but I think we worked Aldon to hard. The kid has got a motor but he was clearly fatigued. I think we need more rotation at OLB so he can mantain the freshness. Using him every down actually makes him less effective especially on run packages.

Did my eyes decieve me? was that not Chris Culliver doing his best Rahim Moore impression vs. Jacoby Jones?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
sounds like bullsh*t. As the PFT article says, "that sounds ridiculously high"

Every single source is saying the same thing, they want minimum, a 1st and a 3rd rounder, plus the bulk of Revis's salary.

No thanks Jeff.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's under contract for one more season, I definitely think they should hold on to him at OLB and go back to more of a rotation with Aldon not playing every single snap.

Agreed. I want Aldon Smith to be fresh every game and let him do what he does best. Sack the QB.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Exactly. Culliver is fine as a cornerback, but they do need another young corner to develop for the future. Brown is a free agent next year, he'll be looking for a raise, not all that sure I want him back. Ideally I'd like to see them go DE/NT/CB with their first 3 picks and then draft another cornerback towards the latter part of the draft as well.

They need to focus on the pass rush and the defensive line, they need to be able to generate a more consistent pass rush, they went too many games this year without having a pass rush to keep opposing QB's uncomfortable in the pocket, when you give an NFL QB as much time as the 49ers gave to guys like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, they will pick you apart, you could have 3 times healthy, prime Revis back there, you'll still get beat. Seattle's all-world secondary got toasted by Atlanta at times because they couldn't generate a pass rush.

I'll accept your assessment -- but how do we fix it for 2013/2014?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Fix the DLine rotation. I've been saying it for the past 2 years. Next year, Justin will be a year older and coming off an operation. We need a "Rotation" even if we get a soild NT, DE in the raft. A rotation will keep them fresh.

Culliver needs a Mike Singletary moment - like VD did and then move him to S and say goodbye to Whitner.

We STILL need a BIG fast WR.

Kicker is a need w/out question.

^^ Totally agree ^^. Yes the defensive backfield can improve but let's work on how to keep Aldon and Justin fresh for passing downs. This was the first year Aldon was a 3 down lineman and he wore out as the season progressed. Whether the shoulder caused him to slow down or just general wear and tear, it was apparent he was not the same.

Bring in 2 guys that are capable of completing a legit DL rotation and it improves everyone's play, including the defensive backfield's. Perhaps JPF can be one of those guys. The 49er corners are not horrible as everyone is making them out to be. They are adequate and can hold their own given a consistent pass rush IMO. Start with improving the DL and it makes everyone else better. Time to spend some high draft picks on the DL.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
No it doesn't we need more help from the d-line, NOBODY can cover as long as we have had to, that's the whole point in protecting a QB, any QB given time will gash you deep. If hear f**king Reves's name one more time my head will explode, IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW GOOD YOU DB'S ARE IF YOU CAN'T GET TO THE QB!/ thread
You're right, this does have a lot to do with it.

However, the 49ers front-seven is an elite run-stopping unit. With that in mind, I think the safeties we have need to be better in pass coverage than they are against the run. With a guy like Whitner, that's not the case -- run-stopping his is probably his strength, pass coverage is not. What I'm trying to say is, I think it seems little "overkill" to have a safety like Whitner. It doesn't seem like a very balanced defense, and it exposes us to thrashings by opposing quarterbacks.
Originally posted by ninerempire25:
Whitner is HORRIBLE in pass coverage


Bring T Mays back
It's obvious that we need defensive line help and it's our number one priority. We got exposed because we don't do a good job rotating DL and our starters we shot the last quarter of the season. Sure much can be said about Justin Smith being injured but it's time that we invest picks to beef up this unit.

Aside from that yes, we need a quality #2 wide receiver and some CB help.