1) 109 yard kick return for a TD. Absolute dagger at that time in the game.
2) 1st and goal at 7 freakin yard line with a chance to win the Super Bowl at the end. P*** away 4 entire downs with real shaky calls and execution and get nothing. When Frank got down to the 7 with 1st and goal I thought we got this.
3) Came out asleep for the entire first half as usual and built a big deficit.
4) LMJ fumble was really costly. We were driving good on that drive.
I don't count the Kaep pick much because he otherwise played well and showed incredible poise coming back. It was 1 ball that floated high on him.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
1. Kaep in the first half.... ( we used to get on Smith for this, but we cant just glorify what was done at the end, and erase what wasnt done in the beginning.
2. Wr's getting open.... I dont know who had a good day, but soo many times throughout the game i heard no one was open.
3. Dropped balls. there were at least 3 that cost us big. the one vernon had his hands on and dropped. the one that crabs had then dropped, and that last one to crabs where he should of known he was gonna get lit up, and held onto the ball.
4. Defense.... they bend and held throughout the whole game. We didnt sustain crap till after the power outage. Then i swear i heard this before, we scored fast as hell to bring us back i think within 2 scores. Dont get me wrong, we needed the points, but there were a few games this season, where we scored too fast, without giving the D rest.
5. Playcalling.... I'm a little tired of hearing about this. The playcalling is Roman and Harbs. even if they say it's just one of them, what i see is that they both have their hands in it. Just like Roman said after a loss with Kaep at center. It wasnt the playcalling, it was the execution. I noticed at one point, after kaeps int, they kind of took it out of his hands of throwing for a while. I remember on the next series even the announcers said yeah they ran on the third long down, because the double move that kaep made, showed that he was a little rattled. all in the first half. On the last series, is it really that hard to figure out. Harbs like he has done all season, made his mind up that they wanted that final TD from kaep's arms. Are we really that surprised. He didnt want it in Gore's hands. Do i know that for a fact, no. But i mean he hade the QB switch cuz he believe in it, and he helped call those plays at the end. We cant say when it favors us, the call is good, then when it fails, it's bad. He made a decision and has to live with it.
6. Refs--- listen, there where blown plays all game, on both sides of the ball. That last drive by us at the end was a good no call, because both players, crabs and the dback where goin at each other. and u cant leave any moment of the SB in the refs hands.
Overall, we got shut down, the first half thats what lost us this game. All the kaepernicking, and crabs lights out, and Gore just willing those running drives were non existent before the outage. Coming back at the end, yeah that was nice, but who cares really. Should of showed up, when it mattered most, and that was at kickoff.
The only problem I have is number 6. The non-call decided the game. Throwing a flag would not have. The niners still would have had to make a play to win. Therefore, a ref NOT calling a clear holding penalty DID decide the game. Yes, we should never have let it get to that, but the lack of a call ended any chance whatsoever, and therefore, is a legitimate reason for the loss.
The holding on Dixon had absolutely no bearing on the end of the game. Had they called it, it would've been an automatic safety (which was the result of the play anyway). It would not have altered the time remaining at all -- you still play out of the remainder of a play when there's holding, the results are just nullified. It's not like the clock is reset to the time that the penalty occurred.
Even if we scored the Ravens only needed a FG with two minutes left and all of their timeouts left. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket on the last drive. If not for penalties and turnovers in the first half and we wouldn't have been in that position.
An illegal formation on the very first play is unacceptable. So is lining up offsides when you're lined(Brooks) up right over the nose of the football. We came out flat and sloppy.
This fan site is dedicated to the 49ers and their fans. It is in no way affiliated with the NFL or any of its teams. All teams and players mentioned on this site are registered trademarks of the NFL. The use of any team names, words, trademarks, logos or photos have been used for descriptive purposes only. The content and information from other sites is the property of their respective owners. Player and team photos used with permission from USA TODAY Sports Images.