There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Your reasons for why we lost

• fryet
  • Veteran
The 49ers were the second best team this year. I would have liked them to be the best. I am happy that they aren't 3rd-32nd best. It was a good year, but not great since we lost the SB. I have hope that we can be the best next year, something that I didn't have before JH turned around the team.
Alot place the sole blame for us getting in holes in the first half during the playoffs.

It seems to me that in order to get in a hole both the O and the D didn't get it done. If the D sucks but the O is playing well, we get to the half in much better shape. Its only when both stink that we get so far behind.

Can we be just a tad bit more objective in the analysis. Our O had 2 terrible turovers, one of which then placed the ball within the 25. So who is that on? Yeah, the D should have held them to 3 but the O put the D in terrible positions.

After the first int by Kaep, the next drive on second and long Kaep drops back and double clutchs a throw that is then telegraphed to the outside (this is suicide) which the db sees and breaks on and has the ball in his hands (should have been picked and Kaep was very very lucky that it wasn't) He was looking so shakey at that point that the OC called for a run up the middle on 3rd and long for deep in our on zone. We get stuffed and have to punt giving excellent field position once again.

So some give no credence to any of this but then give all the props to the O for the second half comeback. But what about the love for the D in the second half and their part in it? They got a fumble recovery and gave the O the ball on the Ravens 20! They hold again a force a punt from deep in the Ravens zone which Ginn then runs back to the 25! Come on, those are huge contributions and instead of giving them any credit it all goes to the O and Kaep?

Lot of having your cake and eating it too but a little of base if you ask me. We need to tweak once again in the offseason but all this dumping on the D is stupid and misplaced.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
The betrayal of Alex Smith by Harbaugh.

Karma.

I hope you and Alex are very happy together on whatever team he lands on. What IS it with you AS groupies?
Giving up a 108 yard TD to open the half was the nail in the coffin. How the heck holding was not called is beyond me but it is what it is. Wow!
Pretty simple...too many mistakes, both physical and mental. Dynamic as our offense has become, it was too much to ask them to overcome a huge deficit again. While the O has improved dramatically, the defense has regressed...and that has to be the major off-season priority. Give the Ravens coaching staff credit...they saw holes in our defense and really exploited them. The front 7 wasn't nearly as dominant as 2011, especially down the stretch and in the playoffs/SB. Balt's OL pretty much controlled our DL...not a good thing. We all saw what Flacco did to our secondary...I see a major overhaul coming on both the DL and defensive backfield.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Pretty simple...too many mistakes, both physical and mental. Dynamic as our offense has become, it was too much to ask them to overcome a huge deficit again. While the O has improved dramatically, the defense has regressed...and that has to be the major off-season priority. Give the Ravens coaching staff credit...they saw holes in our defense and really exploited them. The front 7 wasn't nearly as dominant as 2011, especially down the stretch and in the playoffs/SB. Balt's OL pretty much controlled our DL...not a good thing. We all saw what Flacco did to our secondary...I see a major overhaul coming on both the DL and defensive backfield.

I don't see the bolded; I see definite changes in personnel and even some in the scheme/approach, but not a major overhaul. Other than that, I totally agree with your post.
Originally posted by crimsontide:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
The betrayal of Alex Smith by Harbaugh.

Karma.

I hope you and Alex are very happy together on whatever team he lands on. What IS it with you AS groupies?

that dude is not a niner fan.
No excuses, we got caught up in the 'lights' of the game (the distractions); despite coming back and getting f**ked by the refs, this team dug its own hole in many places. -We couldn't stop the Ravens from making FGs, thus putting the game on Kaep's shoulders, when it shouldn't have come down to that yet, and Roman couldn't let Gore do his bread and butter.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Gore had just pushed the pile back another 3 or 4 yards after initial contact earlier in the drive. Why wouldn't you give it to him with the game on the line and put it on the heart of Frank? I just don't understand.

It's still killing me...5 more yards.....FIVE!!!.....i am trying to justify it in my head by saying we would have left them with just under 2 minutes and 3 timeouts, but damn it we didnt let them in the end zone the entire second half!
I havent read any other posts yet because I want my opinion to be 100% raw, so sorry if I intereupted a conversation or something. We lost because kaepernick wasnt clutch when he had to be. I only question the fade route in the endzone, there were two and we havent done that all year so why start now, thats my playcalling beef. Lamichael james fumbled the ball and kaepernick threw and interception. Members of our secondary inexcusably got beat deep..(awwwws**t), dont understand how we let them do that. That has been flaccos b n b. Throwing up prayers. that was the most frustrating thing for me. I love our team and my favorite players had a great game. and thats what makes me worry. cuz then your like the carolina panthers and.... but not just that: ? about kaeps clutchness, also how long of a road it will be to make it back. this makes next year a HUuuuGE year

ps leading your team back doesnt define clutchness, and being an awesome qb doesnt either. Kaep had the chance to put us on top . he failed. so of course im concerned. Look up alex smith 2011 season to understand clutch( sorry had to do it)
Our secondary.....

2 days later and I'm still in shock. I can't believe how bad they were.
Too big of a hole to dig out of.

IMO, the KO return was the back-breaker. He doesn't scroe that TD - we win.
Roman is a great innovator but, like others have said, he's and idiot game manager. For as dynamic of an offense we have, how many 3 and outs did we have against ATL or BAL, and early when we needed a score to quiet the crowd and set up some momentum. How many drives look nothing like their predecessor or successor?

Sure, the terrible first half, laughably bad DB play by Whitner and particularly Culiver (dude gave up like 150 yards and TD on 3 completions alone plus a killer PI), and unbalanced refs cost us, but at the end of the day--despite all these obstacles, self-inflicted and otherwise--we were in a position to win the freaking game. 7 yards away from the endzone. We had been gashing them with the run all 2nd half long--I saw a stat here that said in the second half we had 129 yards for a 9.2 ypc--Gore was rolling, the OL was mauling people, and they were without their run stopper. Go with the read option, which, even when it was 'stopped' still averaged a 2-3 yards, or the much ballyhooed jumbo formation and we win the game. Instead, he called literally the worst final 3 plays possible--all were effectively one route plays to the corner of the field-- further limiting the playing area in already cramped quarters. Furthermore, and this is something that hasn't gotten much press, by going pass-pass-pass, we left a ton of the time on the clock and BAL with all 3 of their TOs, so even we did score, BAL could easily get in position to kick the game-tying or winning FG depending on the outcome of the game. What really makes me sick is that the original 3rd down play was likely the one that would have scored the TD, but as we've seen time and again (and this is on Kap too to some degree but Alex struggled with it as well, indicating a problem with the playcaller) the play came in late and we were unable to get it off. Watching live and on the replay, you can see that a pulling Boone, Gore, and Walker are all out there ready to block and there's only one Ravens defender in the area. Though the good call somewhat absolves Roman, he/Harbs f**ked it up by getting the play in late, and then because we showed our hand, we weren't able to try it again and instead ran some piss poor route combo out of an odd formation. Kaep does deserve some blame for locking in on Crabs, because he could have run on 2nd down, had VD and Walker on 3rd, and made the right audible on 4th down, but the play calls were just s**t. We have Gore, who has given his all for the team and was having a fantastic game, the strongest and fastest running QB in the game, a massive OL, and an aging, gassed defense without their biggest run-stopper, and we go pass-pass-pass to lose the f**king bowl.

You know the ultimate blame lies with Roman when numerous players--Gore, Staley, Walker, even defensive guys like Whitner--have all basically come out and said Why the flying f**k did we not run the ball?

I'm doing better than yesterday, not as angry or depressed, but deeply, deeply disappointed. And it will linger a long, long time. I'm able to forget it for a moment or two but then remember the final drive failure and am overcome I know this level of emotional investment in the outcome of a game played by guys I'll likely never meet isn't ideal, but it's how I have been with the Niners and how I'll always be.

To me, the game came down to one play....the kickoff return for a TD... That was the difference maker. You take that one play away (and you should), and the Niners probably win that game.

The entire reason why Jones was able to run it back all the way was that there were 2 blatant holding fouls on the Ravens (one on either side of the returner)... Bruce Miller was literally held by two Ravens around his waist and D Walker on the other side was grabbed by another Raven. Just absolutely egregious. Jones simply split the 2 holds and raced to the end zone...

All I can say is this...if you are going 11 on 9, you better return it all the way. I can't believe this has not been a bigger issue nationally. It was so blatant it makes me sick
We lost because we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.

We lost because of back to back turnovers that led points.

We lost because we gave up a 108 yard kick off return to start the second half when we were already down 15 points

We lost because we committed silly penalties at inoppurtune times

We lost because of bad management of time outs

We lost because Greg roman decided to s**t the bed on the most important 4 downs of his career