There are 302 users in the forums

Your reasons for why we lost

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by Niners99:
We failed to win the SB. Were one of the 31 losers.

I cant stand the apologist attitude of "Well at least we had a great season guys. Proud of this team!" All that fluff means nothing.

We had a great shot to win a 6th title, and we blew it. Who knows when we'll be back. I dont see how any Niner fan can be satisfied with this season. Its encouraging the way were progressing, but the end result was the same its been for the last 18 years.

This is exactly how I feel.
this times infinity. how can anyone be ok with how things ended,, how can anyone be ok with just being there, how can anyone be ok with ,, well we made it close, the coaches let us down big time and for whatever reason the players were not ready to play this game so they let us down in that first half,, the defense lets us down all game long. if it makes you feel better to blame the refs go for it,, but had we ran the ball with gore or dixon on the first three offensive plays in that final series, it never would have come down to fourth down. i hate romans guts because he cost us a ring,, and JH allowed him to do it

I don't think anyone is ok with how things ended. Every 49er fan was deeply hurt that we failed to bring home #6. And I agree there's a lot of blame to go around. That being said, this doesn't mean you can't still be proud of the team. It doesn't mean you can't still be hopeful for the future. I mean what do you want Niner fans to do? Give up on the team, and say to hell with it? Take all their 49ers gear and burn them? We are all upset, but this is the nature of sports. You get hurt when your team loses and you come back the next season and cheer for them like crazy and hope they win. There is nothing else we can do.

In addition, I don't agree with the idea that we are just one of 31 teams. This team made it to within 5 yards of winning the Super Bowl. It is a team that has the respect of all other teams and most analysts. You cannot say we are now equal to the Cleveland Browns because we didn't win the Super Bowl. We have realistic expectations to compete for a championship every year. I also don't buy the notion that it would have been better to lose the NFC Championship Game. We got to watch our team play in the last game of the NFL season. We were the best team in our conference and had a chance to be the best in the NFL. I don't understand the sentiment that it's ok to lose NFC Championship games but completely unacceptable to lose Super Bowls. Who made that rule? They are BOTH unacceptable. I think we are simply clinging to the romantic feeling that we were undefeated in the Super Bowl. But apparently it's ok to be 4-9 in the NFC Championship Game. I really don't get it. This is a good team that has a bright future, and as hurt as I am over this loss, I am not going to stop being hopeful and give up on the team.

i just cant agree with this. tennessee got 1 yard from a super bowl win, years after the fact, does anyone care?

So then what do you want fans to do? Give up football altogether? Cheer for another team? I am not saying the season was a success. Nothing short of a Super Bowl win is a success. I am saying I have hope that this team will come back and win it in the future. The years you mentioned above were also unsuccessful years, but after everyone of those years we continued to believe they would come back and win, because they were that good. I am just as depressed and angry as any other fan over the loss. But I can still have hope for the future given the team that we have. I fully expect them to get back to the Super Bowl next year.

I cant stand the apologist attitude of "Well at least we had a great season guys. Proud of this team!" All that fluff means nothing.

We had a great shot to win a 6th title, and we blew it. Who knows when we'll be back. I dont see how any Niner fan can be satisfied with this season. Its encouraging the way were progressing, but the end result was the same its been for the last 18 years.

this times infinity. how can anyone be ok with how things ended,, how can anyone be ok with just being there, how can anyone be ok with ,, well we made it close, the coaches let us down big time and for whatever reason the players were not ready to play this game so they let us down in that first half,, the defense lets us down all game long. if it makes you feel better to blame the refs go for it,, but had we ran the ball with gore or dixon on the first three offensive plays in that final series, it never would have come down to fourth down. i hate romans guts because he cost us a ring,, and JH allowed him to do it

I don't think anyone is ok with how things ended. Every 49er fan was deeply hurt that we failed to bring home #6. And I agree there's a lot of blame to go around. That being said, this doesn't mean you can't still be proud of the team. It doesn't mean you can't still be hopeful for the future. I mean what do you want Niner fans to do? Give up on the team, and say to hell with it? Take all their 49ers gear and burn them? We are all upset, but this is the nature of sports. You get hurt when your team loses and you come back the next season and cheer for them like crazy and hope they win. There is nothing else we can do.

In addition, I don't agree with the idea that we are just one of 31 teams. This team made it to within 5 yards of winning the Super Bowl. It is a team that has the respect of all other teams and most analysts. You cannot say we are now equal to the Cleveland Browns because we didn't win the Super Bowl. We have realistic expectations to compete for a championship every year. I also don't buy the notion that it would have been better to lose the NFC Championship Game. We got to watch our team play in the last game of the NFL season. We were the best team in our conference and had a chance to be the best in the NFL. I don't understand the sentiment that it's ok to lose NFC Championship games but completely unacceptable to lose Super Bowls. Who made that rule? They are BOTH unacceptable. I think we are simply clinging to the romantic feeling that we were undefeated in the Super Bowl. But apparently it's ok to be 4-9 in the NFC Championship Game. I really don't get it. This is a good team that has a bright future, and as hurt as I am over this loss, I am not going to stop being hopeful and give up on the team.

i just cant agree with this. tennessee got 1 yard from a super bowl win, years after the fact, does anyone care?

So then what do you want fans to do? Give up football altogether? Cheer for another team? I am not saying the season was a success. Nothing short of a Super Bowl win is a success. I am saying I have hope that this team will come back and win it in the future. The years you mentioned above were also unsuccessful years, but after everyone of those years we continued to believe they would come back and win, because they were that good. I am just as depressed and angry as any other fan over the loss. But I can still have hope for the future given the team that we have. I fully expect them to get back to the Super Bowl next year.

hope is fine, i have it too, but it is a fine line between hope and blind faith. i see some posters on here act like its a formality we'll be back in the show next year. i'm not convinced we'll take our own division. jim harbaugh has done a lot of good things for our program, but he does not walk on water and is not a messiah, i know thats contrary to some of the things you read on here. i'll hope we make it, but by the same token wont get too impressed with a 10-0 start to the season or whatever. its about winning the ring and right now its hard to imagine getting a better shot than we just had
Originally posted by Jcool:
1. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
In the melee, 29 is lucky he did not get flagged and easily could have been ejected. He shoved the Linesman.

2. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
On Jacoby Jones kick return there is no holding on a double team block unless the defender is taken to the ground. He wasn't.

3. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Reed was not offisde on the try. He moved forward just as the ball was being snapped. Perfectly timed.

4. Didn't even see it happen. No idea.

5. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Tough play that is real close both ways. Good job not calling anything.

Agree with Sims. There is a quick grab and a pushoff. Not one that is going to be called. Nothing obvious in real time

6. Either way the play is a safety, so better to hold player and waste more time.

I could understand that if the refs were letting them play...but the Ravens got the PI call the series before on a critical 3rd down...same sort of play to the side lines and Culliver got called with about the same amount of contact...

hope is fine, i have it too, but it is a fine line between hope and blind faith. i see some posters on here act like its a formality we'll be back in the show next year. i'm not convinced we'll take our own division. jim harbaugh has done a lot of good things for our program, but he does not walk on water and is not a messiah, i know thats contrary to some of the things you read on here. i'll hope we make it, but by the same token wont get too impressed with a 10-0 start to the season or whatever. its about winning the ring and right now its hard to imagine getting a better shot than we just had

I agree with you. And I doubt anyone believes Jim Harbaugh is the messiah. But the fact that he's taken the team that far in his first two years after the team had been an NFL laughing stock for many years causes fans to cut him some slack. This was only his 2nd season, and I fully expect him to take the team to the Super Bowl next year. My expecations are not based on blind faith, but on the roster that we have. I think the 49ers as of right now are definitely the best team in the NFC and could easily the best team in the NFL with a few upgrades at key positions. Of course this doesn't guarantee anything, but my expectation as of right now is that this team SHOULD make it back to the Super Bowl next year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
wow, crabs has the guts to question JH! seems like when anyone dares to do that, they are acccused of being a fake fan and wanting nolan back. ihope the media nails him today on the play calling on the last series and how or why he stood around and let roman make those disgracefull calls. JH knew the defensive line was suspect and refused to deal with it, he knew after the first rams game akers but let it ride instead of signing kaeding. here is a memo so many find it hard to understand. we can be critical of the head coach but still like him as our coach and like our team. we can not be so arrogant to assume we will be back next year. they need to draft smarter, hope guys come back who are hurt, hope ck does not get hurt and hope gore does not fall off the planet like roger craig, chuck foreman, franco harris and tony dorsett did over night
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
how bout that helmet to helmet on Crabs?

I'm not one to complain or blame officiating, but this was just fkn terrible.

I agree with you. And I doubt anyone believes Jim Harbaugh is the messiah. But the fact that he's taken the team that far in his first two years after the team had been an NFL laughing stock for many years causes fans to cut him some slack. This was only his 2nd season, and I fully expect him to take the team to the Super Bowl next year. My expecations are not based on blind faith, but on the roster that we have. I think the 49ers as of right now are definitely the best team in the NFC and could easily the best team in the NFL with a few upgrades at key positions. Of course this doesn't guarantee anything, but my expectation as of right now is that this team SHOULD make it back to the Super Bowl next year.

as a pistons fan when we hired larry borwn to be our coach, we wont the title the first year in 04, lost game 7 of the finals the next year in 05. we spent the next 3 or 4 season trying to get back to the finals but it never happened, then the window closed. it was the worst feeling ever and we had a ring to show for it. i really hope these guys get back there cus they will be crushed if they dont
The drive failed because we didn't run the ball. Period. You don't really expect Kaep to do a full scan in the middle of a Blitz, do you?

as a pistons fan when we hired larry borwn to be our coach, we wont the title the first year in 04, lost game 7 of the finals the next year in 05. we spent the next 3 or 4 season trying to get back to the finals but it never happened, then the window closed. it was the worst feeling ever and we had a ring to show for it. i really hope these guys get back there cus they will be crushed if they dont

So is it over for the 49ers then?
  • Silky
  • Veteran
You would think by the logic of some of these posters they would rather have 2-14 seasons under Erickson and consistently not be in the playoffs and run the risk of losing a SB rather than an NFC Championship loss and Superbowl loss in consecutive years. Teams like the Browns, Raiders, Bucs, Cards, Seahawks, and Lions would kill for that. Put things in perspective people. We were the laughing stock for practically 10 years and now we are a powerhouse. I didn't see Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, other Manning, or Matt Ryan in this SB. I saw Colin Kaepernick giving it his all for us. I'm willing to bet this loss will humiliate and humble Kaep and make him work harder. Things were going great for Kaep and now he knows even he is not immune to a loss. Iron sharpens iron and we will be back next year. Count on it.

we'll be in the mix for future season which is all you can really ask for, but at the same time it doesnt guarantee another shot at the super bowl. the legit competition in the nfc is about 5 or 6 deep.

we'll be in the mix for future season which is all you can really ask for, but at the same time it doesnt guarantee another shot at the super bowl. the legit competition in the nfc is about 5 or 6 deep.

Of course. I'm not saying anything is guaranteed. But my expectation is that they should be back in the Super Bowl. They need to upgrade some key positions and reevaluate some coaching decisions and come back stronger. It's all you can really do.
The timeout that Harbaugh called to avoid the delay of game penalty. If that play would've been run, we may have scored on it. It was a designed QB run, and Eric Davis said that was the won that would've won the game (assuming the Defense holds).
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
You would think by the logic of some of these posters they would rather have 2-14 seasons under Erickson and consistently not be in the playoffs and run the risk of losing a SB rather than an NFC Championship loss and Superbowl loss in consecutive years. Teams like the Browns, Raiders, Bucs, Cards, Seahawks, and Lions would kill for that. Put things in perspective people. We were the laughing stock for practically 10 years and now we are a powerhouse. I didn't see Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, other Manning, or Matt Ryan in this SB. I saw Colin Kaepernick giving it his all for us. I'm willing to bet this loss will humiliate and humble Kaep and make him work harder. Things were going great for Kaep and now he knows even he is not immune to a loss. Iron sharpens iron and we will be back next year. Count on it.
Awesome post!
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Awesome post!

its a great motivational post. kaep also went through 2 other losses, including a s**t kicking in seattle. he shouldnt need this as some sort of wake up call that he is not immune to losing. kaep being better next season will be awesome but again it doesnt gurantee another sb berth. he could be great and something else could falter. therefore i cannot count on anything.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone