There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Your reasons for why we lost

From a Ravens fan, reasons Niners lost:

1. Disappeared in the 1st half. That put too much pressure on your offense, which they nearly overcame, but that was too much to expect them to overcome.
2. Your inadequate pass coverage/lack of pass rush. Flacco was hitting you hard down the field.

Other than that, the Niners came to play. Yes, there were penalties that weren't called, but that happened consistently the whole game, you knew the refs were going to hold their whistles in this type of game as they always have, and you only remember the instances where your team failed to make the play.

49ers are well positioned to win a Super Bowl soon. Could even be '13.
It doesn't matter. Really. It sounds cliche, and you've heard this 1000 times, but all the guys can do is learn from these mistakes.
  • thl408
Originally posted by real9erfan:
It's pointless to engage in that type of second-guessing. It's really easy after the fact to look at game film and say this guy was open here or that guy was open there. But the Ravens were sending cover 0 blitzes in order to hurry the throws. The QB in that situation has to quickly get rid of the ball and doesn't have time to scan the field. I just thought the play calls were not the best to counter the cover 0 blitz.

The one time BAL didn't blitz was when Kap rolled right, which would have been a great call had they blitzed.

ARRRGHHH!!
Originally posted by thl408:
It's pointless to engage in that type of second-guessing. It's really easy after the fact to look at game film and say this guy was open here or that guy was open there. But the Ravens were sending cover 0 blitzes in order to hurry the throws. The QB in that situation has to quickly get rid of the ball and doesn't have time to scan the field. I just thought the play calls were not the best to counter the cover 0 blitz.

The one time BAL didn't blitz was when Kap rolled right, which would have been a great call had they blitzed.

ARRRGHHH!!

Sometimes things just don't go your way. The main reason we lost is that we put ourselves in a huge hole at the outset. There's a reason no one has ever come back from anything more than a 10 point deficit in the Super Bowl. We almost pulled it off, but alas, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. It's so depressing really.
Delanie probably would have dropped it anyway
Originally posted by andrewglass25:
The ball was in the air when bowman was still tackling roddy white, thats not really questionable though. Look a the replay of the crabtree play. Look at jimmy smith reaction to hitting the ground, He's begging for a call. He was pushed. Thats not really questionable either though. I'll leave you with a quote from torrey smith...

"I got grabbed and held all night and almost nothing got called. That's how it went. They just let us play. And that's what they did to the end"

On flacco's roll out from 3rd and goal on the 2 he was very clearly hit a good yard and half out of bounds by the 49ers lineman... they even showed a replay and pointed it out during the game.. That would of been first and goal from the 1 with a chance to seal it. They let the players play the game. It was a over all well called game. They let alot of things go but it was on both sides. If crabtree is called or smith is called or whatever it's not for sure they get a TD. If they do the ravens have plenty of time and a hot QB moving easily on that D and only in need of a FG. This game was called the same both ways.

There is a video of the White/Bowman play in the "NFL Lewis on top" thread. The play was 100% legal.

The out of bounds hit on Flacco was the ONLY questionable play that didn't go their way, and he wasn't that far out of bounds when it happened which is why the no call. This game was not at all called the same way for both side. Your Ravens won a tainted SB, get over it and go back to your ugly purple forums.
Originally posted by jeff49:
There are 6 questions I have about calls in the Super Bowl?

(1) With 6:29 left in 2nd quarter (29) DB-Williams pushed a ref and was not ejected,why?
(2) The 2nd have kickoff was not called back for holding as 2 players had arms wrapped around (49) Miller , why?
(3) With 9:57 to go inthe game (20) DB-Reed was offside on 2 point conversion and it was not called, but with 4:28 left in the game after an incomplete pass the 49ers were called offsides,why?
(4) With 1:55 left in the game on 3rd and goal, (22) DB-Smith made helmet to helmet contact on WR-Crabtree and it was not called,Why?
(5) With 1:49 left in game on 4th and goal, holding on (22) DB-Smith not called even thogh he had 2 hands full of Crabtree's Jersey and also on the other side of the field (24) tackled TE-Walker in enzone while ball was in air to Crabtree,why?
(6) With 0:12 left in game during punt there were multiple 49er players held and in meantime the punter was able to hold the ball for 8 seconds before running out of bounds and no flag was thrown, why?

Thank-You
Jeff49

This is embarassing. We cant blame the refs for digging ourselves in a 22 point hole. Atlanta could be saying the same exact thing about Bowman holding Roddy White on the last play of the NFCC.
Originally posted by fly15:
we can come up w 1025 excuses, but lost.

it was a great game, and we should b proud of our team.

great season.

We failed to win the SB. Were one of the 31 losers.

I cant stand the apologist attitude of "Well at least we had a great season guys. Proud of this team!" All that fluff means nothing.

We had a great shot to win a 6th title, and we blew it. Who knows when we'll be back. I dont see how any Niner fan can be satisfied with this season. Its encouraging the way were progressing, but the end result was the same its been for the last 18 years.
I can tell you why the flag for question number 6 was irrelevant.

A holding call in the endzone results in a safety. BAL didn't care about being flagged for that since they were going to take a safety anyways.

Why didn't any refs throw a flag? Who cares, the game was over.

true but it, as well as the noncall when the ravens player pushed the ref, raise legit questions about the competency of this crew...isnt the superbowl deserving of the best crew out there...while the other calls are judgment calls, isnt it axiomatic that when a player pushes a ref, not only is he ejected but there is a 15 yard penalty..if called, the ravens also have to play the rest of the game without a starting corner...

and on the safety when every raven is deliberatately holding a niners, shouldnt that draw a flag, regardless of whther it impacts the game--it is blatant and reflects poorly on the crew
ray lewis sucks dick. the refs appreciated it
Originally posted by hofer36:
true but it, as well as the noncall when the ravens player pushed the ref, raise legit questions about the competency of this crew...isnt the superbowl deserving of the best crew out there...while the other calls are judgment calls, isnt it axiomatic that when a player pushes a ref, not only is he ejected but there is a 15 yard penalty..if called, the ravens also have to play the rest of the game without a starting corner...

and on the safety when every raven is deliberatately holding a niners, shouldnt that draw a flag, regardless of whther it impacts the game--it is blatant and reflects poorly on the crew

I agree, flags should have been thrown on the safety play and I cannot fathom how a guy gets away with a blatant shove like that.

ARRRGHHH!!

i wonder if they would have fooled ravens if kapernick had rolled left on one of the plays...he has shown good ability to throw rolling left---when i saw him rolling right it brought back memories of alex smith rolling right and not finding anywhere to go with the ball
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Jcool:
1. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
In the melee, 29 is lucky he did not get flagged and easily could have been ejected. He shoved the Linesman.

2. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
On Jacoby Jones kick return there is no holding on a double team block unless the defender is taken to the ground. He wasn't.

3. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Reed was not offisde on the try. He moved forward just as the ball was being snapped. Perfectly timed.

4. Didn't even see it happen. No idea.

5. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Tough play that is real close both ways. Good job not calling anything.

Agree with Sims. There is a quick grab and a pushoff. Not one that is going to be called. Nothing obvious in real time

6. Either way the play is a safety, so better to hold player and waste more time.

Only one real questionable response from Pereira is #2 since when does holding only count if a player is taken to the ground? Is that some sort of kickoff/special teams rule? The others for the most part he is right. Doesn't matter anymore but its highly unlikely Ravens win another Super Bowl for a while.

Miller wasn't held. He was double teamed.
Originally posted by Niners99:
We failed to win the SB. Were one of the 31 losers.

I cant stand the apologist attitude of "Well at least we had a great season guys. Proud of this team!" All that fluff means nothing.

We had a great shot to win a 6th title, and we blew it. Who knows when we'll be back. I dont see how any Niner fan can be satisfied with this season. Its encouraging the way were progressing, but the end result was the same its been for the last 18 years.

Not much you can do personally to affect the outcome... so it's better to b***h about it instead of supporting the team?
That's the point of the Cover-0 Blitz. Quick pressure forces the quarterback to throw the ball before the quarterback can even get to his second option.