LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 431 users in the forums

Your reasons for why we lost

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sfout:
I'll say this and only this.

We tried to engineer Kaepernick's legacy rather than letting Gore put the finishing touches on his.

We lost because we wanted to prove that Kaepernick was/is the right choice(which he is but that doesn't change that fact that we should've ran the ball at least 2 of those 4 plays)

Agreed, Jim and the staff wanted to make the point that they are smarter than everybody else.

Frank was and is our best option in the red zone, esp., with our new and improved Oline.

Kaep is good now and may become great someday but right now is not the time to put the game on his shoulders in passing situations. We did that and he came up short so for whatever its worth it didn't happen like Jim thought it would and he can take his fair share of the blame.
Nobody's pointing out the obvious. Kap had the option to audible out of the plays, so the decision came down to him. He failed in epic fashion.

The moment was too big for him. What could have been...
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I was hoping that someone from our booth would remember how the Cowboys beat the Bills in the 2nd Super Bowl... and that was by just pounding Emmitt plays after plays.. I was also hoping that we would not call for a pass play inside the 6 yard line w/having the best OL in football... it shoulda been as ez as 1-2-3 just like the way Gore scored earlier.. 3 to 4 simple play would have gotten us our 6th ring..

run to the right... run between the tackles... FB feed.. and if necessary... use our JUMBO package w/ 8 OL and Gore up the middle!!!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by sfout:
I'll say this and only this.

We tried to engineer Kaepernick's legacy rather than letting Gore put the finishing touches on his.

We lost because we wanted to prove that Kaepernick was/is the right choice(which he is but that doesn't change that fact that we should've ran the ball at least 2 of those 4 plays)

Ahh yes, I can picture the scene...

"Ok, so what's the play call?"
"Run up the middle with Gore?"

Roman: "No wait! Don't do that!"

"Why not?"

Roman: "Because it is TIME my friends. Now is the time to show before the entire world, the greatness of the Kaepernick."
Roman: "The next three plays will be passes. We must win with Kaepernick. It's what I have dreamed about since we drafted him."

"But aren't we more concerned with winning?"

Roman: "Winning is for losers!" "This is the time where the legacy of the Kaepernick BEGINS! Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!"

It sucked.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Well i thought the play calling was the problem... But just watched ESPN break down the series at the end... Kaep kind of blew it on 2nd and 3rd down. He was either to quick to throw or to late and it cost us.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Should have bootleged Kap.

i was thinking thats how the niners will win the game.. bootleg Kaep... and TD.. i was sure we would win!! ughh... this one will sting for a real long time.. or until we win the super bowl ;)
Actually, what many may be missing is that on that long run, Gore actually went out of bounds about the 2.5-3 yard line but it was spotted all the way back at the 7 yard line. He did NOT go out of bounds at the 7. The next play is a 2 yard run up the middle with James and now we are at the 5. Now what? Pass or run? Roman-fail (although Jim

Had the ball been spotted correctly, is there ANY doubt we run Gore up the gut for the TD and chew up the clock? He went out of bounds at the 2:39 mark. If spotted correctly, go ahead and use LMJ for a 2-yard run and run the clock down to the 2-minute warning. Gore is rested and ready to go on the next 3 plays with our jumbo package and H.Ngata out of the game. No brainer.

THIS was the difference in the game (along with about 20 other woulda-coulda-shoulda plays/calls).

I guess it wasn't mean to be.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
ALSO..WHY THE F DO U YOU CALL A ROLLOUT..YOU TAKE HALF THE FIELD AWAY

HARBAUGH'S ARROGANCE AND ROMAN'S CRAP PLAYCALLING ON THE FINAL PLAY'S COST US ANOTHER TITLE
[ Edited by dmax on Feb 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Actually, what many may be missing is that on that long run, Gore actually went out of bounds about the 2.5-3 yard line but it was spotted all the way back at the 7 yard line. He did NOT go out of bounds at the 7. The next play is a 2 yard run up the middle with James and now we are at the 5. Now what? Pass or run? Roman-fail (although Jim

Had the ball been spotted correctly, is there ANY doubt we run Gore up the gut for the TD and chew up the clock? He went out of bounds at the 2:39 mark. If spotted correctly, go ahead and use LMJ for a 2-yard run and run the clock down to the 2-minute warning. Gore is rested and ready to go on the next 3 plays with our jumbo package and H.Ngata out of the game. No brainer.

THIS was the difference in the game (along with about 20 other woulda-coulda-shoulda plays/calls).

Yeah wtf thought we should've challenged that spot

Originally posted by dmax:
ALSO..WHY THE F DO U YOU CALL A ROLLOUT..YOU TAKE HALF THE FIELD AWAY

HARBAUGH'S ARROGANCE AND ROMAN'S CRAP PLAYCALLING ON THE FINAL PLAY'S COST US ANOTHER TITLE

Agreed. He's been calling plays like this in the RZ all year...the receiver 95% of the time runs SHORT of the EZ and hopes to get RAC and score. The fade is a good call on first down...but never in this situation...esp. to Crabtree. That play has only worked one time and that was with Alex throwing it against the Cardinals and even THAT was barely caught inside the EZ.
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah wtf thought we should've challenged that spot

I don't even know how they misjudged it by THAT much...almost 5 whole yards!? Gore even dipped inside the field into contact to get a couple more yards at the end. He didn't just step out of bounds (run out on his own) and he wasn't even that close esp. around the 7 yard line.

You ppl should check it out and see if you see the same thing I did.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM ]
to me this kind of compares to the 85 Bears not trying to get Walter a TD.

Everything Gore did for this franchise and he doesn't even get one shot in the most important series for the Niners in over 20 years????????
That said, guys, aside from HaRoman play calling, missed calls, missed opportunities, one tendency that reared its ugly head is this: every game we started off VERY slow and behind the 8-ball. We would have had to overcome a 22-point deficit when the previous largest overcome margin was 10.

THIS has to be fixed. This is 95% on coaching and you could really see the difference between a veteran (coached) team in how they showed up and finished the game. We showed up in the 2nd half and couldn't finish.
Share 49ersWebzone