LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Your reasons for why we lost

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The most frustrating thing about not running on those last three plays out of a jumbo package is that it also would've set up a playaction. How often in NFL games in the red zone do you see a tight end / fullback block, release, and then go out for a pass and end up wide open? If I were Roman, I would've ran the ball, and given Kaep the option to audible into a playaction pass if he saw something he didn't like in the defense. Jumbo also would've done wonders for pass protection, in the event that they decided to playaction.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Feb 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM ]
Too many mistakes early. Without mistake we win. Down 22 points is very hard to comeback from. Terrible refereeing but that's not what costed the game. I do hate reveran ray Lewis. Gets away with murder antler spray. He's going to hell.
Originally posted by sfout:
I'll say this and only this.

We tried to engineer Kaepernick's legacy rather than letting Gore put the finishing touches on his.

We lost because we wanted to prove that Kaepernick was/is the right choice(which he is but that doesn't change that fact that we should've ran the ball at least 2 of those 4 plays)

Ahh yes, I can picture the scene...

"Ok, so what's the play call?"
"Run up the middle with Gore?"

Roman: "No wait! Don't do that!"

"Why not?"

Roman: "Because it is TIME my friends. Now is the time to show before the entire world, the greatness of the Kaepernick."
Roman: "The next three plays will be passes. We must win with Kaepernick. It's what I have dreamed about since we drafted him."

"But aren't we more concerned with winning?"

Roman: "Winning is for losers!" "This is the time where the legacy of the Kaepernick BEGINS! Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!"
Originally posted by theduke85:
The most frustrating thing about not running on those last three plays out of a jumbo package is that it also would've set up a playaction. How often in NFL games in the red zone do you see a tight end / fullback block, release, and then go out for a pass and end up wide open? If I were Roman, I would've ran the ball, and given Kaep the option to audible into a playaction pass if he saw something he didn't like in the defense. Jumbo also would've done wonders for pass protection, in the event that they decided to playaction.

Out of the pocket, Kap could have scanned the field, and if no one was open, he could have scrambled it in. We never gave him that opportunity.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
2Nd. And goal from the five should have been gore running the ball. We were so close.

I can't believe we had 2nd and goal at the 5 and passed every time after that and lost the Super Bowl. Against a tired Ravens defense. I would have pounded it every play. I think we get in. And very little time left on the clock for the Ravens going the other way.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
2Nd. And goal from the five should have been gore running the ball. We were so close.

I can't believe we had 2nd and goal at the 5 and passed every time after that and lost the Super Bowl. Against a tired Ravens defense. I would have pounded it every play. I think we get in. And very little time left on the clock for the Ravens going the other way.

Yup. Pile drive them over their backs.

Instead we went fineness.. f**k
Bring in Dixon and bang our way into the endzone or get close enough for Kaep to go over the top for 6...Too many good runnners on this team to not them touch the ball
What do the Roman apologists have to say now?

Roman's playcalling has been called out as suspect for 2 years by many yet the Roman nutswingers said he was fine.

How do they feel now? We should have scored on the last RZ series to win the Super Bowl but because of Roman's retarded playcalling the fat blimp cost us the Super Bowl if we can't score in that situation we didn't deserve to win. Thank you so much Greg Roman!

Ravens switched to a new OC and then their offense took off they got real hot and i damn well hope Jimbaugh shows some balls like his brother does and fires his OC too.
Kaepernick ran the ball 25 times in the post season for 264 yards. That is a 10.5 avg.

Why did he not run the ball 50 times in the playoffs????

If we had him keep running until the defenses could have held him to lets say a 5 or 6 avg......we not only would have won our sixth ring, but none of this games would have even been close.

I truly believe this. And I am not the type of guy who wants a QB running the ball 20 times a game. I have and will always ackowledge that pocket QB's rule the NFL. BUT.....for very special runners like Vick or Kaep.....there is a small window in their career(lets say before age 28) where these running QBs can claim a championship if they embrace the run as opposed to seeking to prove to the world they are a just as effective in the pocket.

We only got to the SB because CK ran the ball 25 times in the post season. And we only would have won if he simply ran more
Just wasn't our time. Not that I wanted us to lose because I didn't, but I think we'll be a better, more hungry and more focused team next year and beyond because of this loss.

Originally posted by danimal:
Kaepernick ran the ball 25 times in the post season for 264 yards. That is a 10.5 avg.

Why did he not run the ball 50 times in the playoffs????

If we had him keep running until the defenses could have held him to lets say a 5 or 6 avg......we not only would have won our sixth ring, but none of this games would have even been close.

I truly believe this. And I am not the type of guy who wants a QB running the ball 20 times a game. I have and will always ackowledge that pocket QB's rule the NFL. BUT.....for very special runners like Vick or Kaep.....there is a small window in their career(lets say before age 28) where these running QBs can claim a championship if they embrace the run as opposed to seeking to prove to the world they are a just as effective in the pocket.

We only got to the SB because CK ran the ball 25 times in the post season. And we only would have won if he simply ran more

We aren't trying to run an offense like RGIII to get his knees blown out. He needs to make timely runs.

We got to the Superbowl because of his leg and his arm.
Culliver had the karma bug bite him in the ass he got roasted alot
Originally posted by SkyGod:
What do the Roman apologists have to say now?

Roman's playcalling has been called out as suspect for 2 years by many yet the Roman nutswingers said he was fine.
It's not black-or-white. The offense put up nearly 500 yards of offense, we had a 100-yard rusher, 2 100-yard receivers, a 300-yard passer. If Roman was so putrid, we wouldn't those kinds of lines in the box score. At the same time, I thought the playcalling on those last three plays was indefensible.
1. Mistakes from being rattled. When you get an alignment penalty on the first play of the game and an offsides penalty on 3rd down, it can be sign that you are letting the moment get to you.

2. LMJ fumble removed any of the momentum we gaining and made us try and re-establish it. We got set back again a bit with the INT and set back a whole lot with the KO return. I think the power outage helped us re-gain composure.

3. Kaep's/Offense's inexperience with sell out blitzes inside the 5. I'm just pointing out Kaep's inexperience here as it clearly rattled him into bad pass attempts on the 2 pt try and the last play of the game. I also think pass play calling inside the 5 has been an issue the past two years. We do not have a "go to" lob fade play or a receiver who can get instant separation because of size. I would think VD could, but it doesn't happen quite as often as it should for some reason.

4. Defensively slow start again. Partly from reason #1 and partly from the offense going 3 and out and turning the ball over. In the modern day NFL, great defenses will still give up plays and points. Look at what both offenses did to two great defenses. Coming into the game, the Ravens defense was playing better than the Niners defense. As good as the Ravens were playing in the first half, they still got beat for a lot of points in the second half. They came up big on the last drive, though, because they figured out a big blitz in a certain situation could work.

5. To be honest, I don't think the refs were that big a factor. Sure, there was defensive holding on Crabtree (I don't think Crabtree was ENGAGING contact by pushing off). Would PI/def holding been called if the pass landed closer to Crabtree? Probably. But as it stands, I have to grind my teeth and say it was an acceptable no call. The PI on Culliver was big, and I may be wrong but it looked more like Defensive holding than PI. I don't think 5 yards would have been enough for a first down, too. Biggest non call was Ed Reed lining up in the neutral zone and arguably coming in early on the 2 pt. try. Having said all that, we got away with some blatant holds on a big run play late in the game and also a late hit on Flacco. I know the refs missed a lot of stuff (Running into the kicker vs Personal Foul)-- and maybe if the game was called perfectly, the Ravens would have lost a TD or a defensive stand.

But it's football. It ain't perfect, and you gotta over come that.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Just wasn't our time. Not that I wanted us to lose because I didn't, but I think we'll be a better, more hungry and more focused team next year and beyond because of this loss.

Yup. We got beat by a veteran team and a bad special teams play. We held their offense to only 3 points in the second half. If that return didn't happen we probably win.

Also, 1st and goal at the 7 for the superbowl.

Perfect scenario and we blew it. Just plain blew it.
Share 49ersWebzone