There are 179 users in the forums

Your reasons for why we lost

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sorry ass first half did us in. We got lucky in Atlanta, but the luck ran out in New Orleans. Almost pulling it off with a team that wasn't 100% focused says a lot. We have the talent, the challenge will be to develop and maintain a strong mentality and attitude throughout all of next season from training camp on.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Feb 4, 2013 at 7:47 AM ]
  • Jiks
1. Boldin making spectacular catches while Crabtree dropped a high one in the endzone, dropped another one, VD dropped the long ball
2. Play calling. Playing way too conservative. Just think if we would have shown a little guts one just one occasion. Running draws on 3rd and medium? FG on 4th and 2 with a kicker who just missed his first attempt
3. Wasting time outs
4. Defense not getting important stops while theirs did
5. Slow start

They made the plays that we didn't. You don't drop passes in the SB. You don't make critical mistakes first play of the game. You don't jump offsides in critical moments. The refs did blow some calls, but we lost this game. We did it to ourselves.
stop crying about the refs already

we lost cuz we gave up 3rd down after 3rd down to the ravens that led to 2 fg's and we stopped running the ball at the goal line to end the game
Originally posted by WINiner:
Greg Roman tried to out think the opposition instead of just relying on what we do best. The one and only reason we lost that game imo. He is innovating a new and more painful way to lose.
Right, his offense was so terrible...we just scored 29 points. Forget about the stout defense.

Imo, anyone who really complains about the playcalling in our last drive, is just hating on Roman. Thx to the offense, we were still in the game til the last seconds. What about Fangio? What about Culliver, Whitner, Rogers, our LBs, our D-line who weren't even able to tackle properly?
[ Edited by communist on Feb 4, 2013 at 7:54 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
1. Penalty

3rd and 9 at SF 18 (Shotgun)

J.Flacco pass incomplete deep middle to D.Pitta. PENALTY on SF-A.Brooks, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at SF 18 - No Play.

Penalty extends the drive. Next play a touchdown. That is 7 points.,

2. Fumble plus personal foul

L. James Fumble.

L.James right end to BLT 25 for -1 yards (C.Upshaw, C.Graham). FUMBLES (C.Upshaw), RECOVERED by BLT-A.Jones at BLT 25. A.Jones to BLT 25 for no gain (D.Walker).

.Flacco pass short left to E.Dickson to SF 8 for 14 yards (D.Whitner). PENALTY on SF-D.Whitner, Face Mask (15 Yards), enforced at SF 8.

Fumble plus Face Mask penalty leads to touchdown. That is 14 points

3. Penalty Extends another Raven Drive

3rd and 9 at BAL 22 (Shotgun) J.Flacco pass incomplete short right to T.Smith. PENALTY on SF-C.Culliver, Defensive Pass

Interference, 14 yards, enforced at BLT 22 - No Play. Penalty extends drive!!!

3rd and 7 at SF 25 (Shotgun) J.Flacco pass incomplete [A.Brooks]. Penalty on SF-A.Brooks, Defensive Offside, declined. PENALTY on SF-Ald.Smith, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at SF 25 - No Play.

One penalty extends the drive, another gives Ravens 5 yards. Two penalties 19 yards

Result FG. That is 17 points.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 4, 2013 at 7:55 AM ]
Defense sucked.

We couldn't punch it in for the win. So sad

7 f**king yards away.

I feel like ive been raped.
Originally posted by iLL49er:

we lost cuz we gave up 3rd down after 3rd down to the ravens that led to 2 fg's and we stopped running the ball at the goal line to end the game

That s**t was sad. Just run the ball why all of the sudden are they throwing fade patterns to Crabtree

this. i was drinking while watching the game so everything is not a cyrstal clear memory but i didnt come away from the game thinking wow they refs jobbed us, i came away thinking wow we didnt execute and left a lot of plays out there on the field. reality is every game has shaky calls or flat out missed ones, its the human error part of the game, the good teams play through that and still win. s**t we've won many games this year where the refs werent that special.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by lamontb:

That s**t was sad. Just run the ball why all of the sudden are they throwing fade patterns to Crabtree

Because it's okay to run a toss up to win the Super Bowl. But to pass on 3rd down is just unheard of. Hey lets throw a prayer for the super bowl, but a draw on 3rd and medium.

There are many factors that cost us the game. But the bottom line is Jim Harbaugh, as great as he has been, needs to improve his pre-game preparations. Last night was not the first time we came out unprepared this year. It actually happened quite often. It is awesome to be a great second half team but when you fall behind by three possessions you have absolutely zero margin for error in the second half. We need to come out with a sense of urgency as opposed to waiting until we are down by 20.
memory is pretty hazy from drinking but my impression was just that wins hide, losses expose flaws and we been playing with a struggling defense for quite a string of games now beginning from the pats game. that and frankly, qbs win superbowls, plain and simple. Flacco made plays, for most of the game, Kaep didn't. I've always found Roman's play calling frustrating, this game didn't change that. officiating was frustrating as well but end of the day the bottom line is John had his team ready to play 4 quarters of football, he was calm, collected, professional, class. For two games in a row, Jim had a team in reaction mode.

sucks, so much of that game is hazy yet I will never watch it again. with just the nature of the superbowl, at 38 years of age, its not out of the real of possibility I just saw the niners in my last superbowl. It's so difficult to get there, great teams often don't get there. You have to win it when you get the rare chance.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Because it's okay to run a toss up to win the Super Bowl. But to pass on 3rd down is just unheard of. Hey lets throw a prayer for the super bowl, but a draw on 3rd and medium.

That was 2nd and 2 for the draw play(didnt like the call either), 3rd down was the roll-out and pass to Crabtree, followed by a toss up for 4th down. Should have been defensive holding at least, but whatever, should have never had to come down to that play, we tried to play 30 minute games Vs Falcons and Ravens, and 22 points was too much to come back from. Defensive secondary fell apart in the post season, they shouldnt be giving up that many points period. Too many blown coverages resulting in easy TDs and failed to tighten up in redzone (unlike much of last season) and hold teams to FGs.

Positive to take from game Kaepernick is looks like a vet even when trailing by 17 or 22 points, and he is only gonna get better next season, finally have the critical QB position solved hopefully for many many years. Serious poise for such a young inexperienced QB.
[ Edited by 9erfreak on Feb 4, 2013 at 8:22 AM ]
Originally posted by ssahnan:
memory is pretty hazy from drinking but my impression was just that wins hide, losses expose flaws and we been playing with a struggling defense for quite a string of games now beginning from the pats game. that and frankly, qbs win superbowls, plain and simple. Flacco made plays, for most of the game, Kaep didn't. I've always found Roman's play calling frustrating, this game didn't change that. officiating was frustrating as well but end of the day the bottom line is John had his team ready to play 4 quarters of football, he was calm, collected, professional, class. For two games in a row, Jim had a team in reaction mode.

sucks, so much of that game is hazy yet I will never watch it again. with just the nature of the superbowl, at 38 years of age, its not out of the real of possibility I just saw the niners in my last superbowl. It's so difficult to get there, great teams often don't get there. You have to win it when you get the rare chance.

i agree with this. i'm not saying we won't go back, but its f**king hard, we've got a good team, but i'm not even convinced we'll win our own division next season. the competition is tough in the nfc. this season was sb or bust for me the moment we lost that giants game in the playoffs. what a ride this season was, i enjoyed the chase, but its such a grind, i'm not sure i can emotionally invest in a season like i did this past one. might take a step back from intensely following this teams every move and watch from more of a distance and focus on some other aspects of my life.
The KO return was "THE" backbreaker.

Not scoring and settling for 2 FG.
Share 49ersWebzone