LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 430 users in the forums

Your reasons for why we lost

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
You got to blame Roman for the playcalling, but Harbaugh also gets the blame for approving it.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Play calling on the goal line was the reason we lost.

I'm going to say thats #1, but you can also say despite what else happened in the first half, there were some critical Raven 3rd down plays that we could not stop which would have given us more opportunities on offense as well.
Defense had a total meltdown, though we knew they were vulnerable going back a couple of weeks. The last good defensive effort we had was against the Cardinals in week 17. Before that (vs. the 'Hawks and Pats) and especially after (throughout the playoffs) we were giving up TONS of yards and points.

Our coaching staff simply never adjusted.

Two, we're not talking about the hold on Crabs if Kap just tucks the ball and runs it in on that last drive. I believe it was on second down, and he had plenty of room in front of him but instead tried to force a pass.

So for me, our loss boils down to:

1) Defensive futility.

2) Kap's mental mistakes.

3) Blown call by the refs.

Still, we're still a relatively young team that's full of talent and in great cap shape. Harbaugh will have our boys out for blood next season.

And I can't wait.
1. Unprepared team lacked focus, (mental mistakes) 2 penalties early that either hurt our drive or extended theirs( illigal formation,& offsides #55) that gave them a first down on 3rd down & resulted in a TD rather than a FG attempt.) Fumble by L James. there was 3 9ers standing right there and not one of them reacted and jumped on the ball. Just stood there and assumed the play was over.
2. Coaching,(A) far to conservative with offensive playcalling. 3rd and long two times we ran the ball and gave it back to Ravens with good field pos. (B) Poor choice to go for two when there was still well over 7 minutes in the 4th, (C) wasted 2 time outs that could have been vital. 3 straight throws to Crabtree on last drive, where was VD esp when Crabs was getting so much attention. (D) Unaware of punter going to eat clock and take a Safety, & no trick play in place for last kickoff with 4 seconds remaining.
3. Came out flat in first half and was unable to over come a 22 point def. Waited to long to free Kaep to make some plays with legs.
Mostly felt Coaching was biggest reason for loss, John Harb was aggressive (fake punt and willing to pass on 3rd and long) and Jim was content with punting when faced with 3rd and long situations.

So sad we lost mostly our undefeated record in SB. Maybe next year we won't spot teams 17+ points before we show up.

Still love my Niners and Jim Harb. Kaepernick gonna be fun to watch next year. (is it August yet?)
[ Edited by 9erfreak on Feb 4, 2013 at 5:26 AM ]
The defense got off to a slow start as usual and it was just too much to overcome.
Turnovers
Bad play calling both sides of the ball at times.
Special teams meltdown.
Ravens wanted it more in the beginning(lack of effort from the self proclaimed"great one").
The almighty NFL making sure their feel good story (Ray Lewis)was completed.
The Rocky Balboa story that is Joe Flacco was also completed.
The D tackle well but there were moments there that to rap up the ball carriers legs instead of going high or for the big hit would have been more ideal. Cully having a hard time taking down baldwin along the side line comes to mind. If Cully just got around the waist and legs Baldwin wouldnt get those extra yards and another first down.
Too many penalties
Too many turnovers
Bad redzone calls
We definately should have ran that ball in I know f. gore was sick about that
Damn we had that game won what did us in was bad playcalls at the end. If u look at statistics on both teams u would wonder how we.lost that game
All I know is... John outcoached Jim again. If you add up all the trick, or gimmick type plays, they seemed to pull them out at only the right times. That stupid punt shenanegan with 11 seconds left was brilliant. We would have punted it out to Jocoby. Their fake punt didnt work, but it didnt matter, we were on the 6. Other than that, John's decision to go with Caldwell as OC payed dividends last night. We could not stop them at one point. Ravens D is what it is, physical and agressive, and they were totally intimidating us. Jim had no answers until the lights went out. Just like last game we played, they played four quarters, we showed up late again. As good as we are, we need to get better at controlling the game from the beginning. No first drive score, means they cant score either, or at least slow them down.Joe Montana was right! 89 team would have blown us out by taking advantage of our numerous mistakes. Jim has to catch up to John, if he wants to be an even better coach.
Last four plays called. You stick with the running game that was killing Baltimore at that point and also make them use their TO's giving them no time and no way to stop it after we score. Kaep and Gore had 172 yards and only needed 5 yards to score. Terrible play calling and clock and TO management at the end. If Harbaugh would stop jumping up and down like a baby and coach he would know what was going on and what needed to be done. Should have called a TO before 4th down and set up a play with multiple option not just a duck and chuck play hoping for a flag.

• dmax
  • Veteran
just inexcusable...just huh
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Last four plays called. You stick with the running game that was killing Baltimore at that point and also make them use their TO's giving them no time and no way to stop it after we score. Kaep and Gore had 172 yards and only needed 5 yards to score. Terrible play calling and clock and TO management at the end. If Harbaugh would stop jumping up and down like a baby and coach he would know what was going on and what needed to be done. Should have called a TO before 4th down and set up a play with multiple option not just a duck and chuck play hoping for a flag.

Last for plays? I think America wants to know what happened as well. I think it was Jim wanting Kaep to score.
Redzone problems are the primary reason we lost the game IMO. 2 of 6 in the redzone. We were moving the ball well but settled for too many field goals. My second reason would be the defense overall. I think teams especially the better teams have figured out this defense. Our safeties were invisible the entire game and I never once seen them back to help on the deep balls.

A few sidenotes: I had been waiting for awhile to see Vernon Davis and Crabtree have a good game in the same game and we finally got it .. sad it went to waste .. Moss looked even slower this game than he has all season lol ..
1. Lack of experience lead to penalties and breakdowns
2. Play calling on both sides of the ball was not the greatest.
3. Lack of execution in the red zone

With the terrible 1st half, we couldn't have asked for more to have the ball in the red zone with 2min left for a chance to take the lead. Just couldnt get in.

Need to stop with the negative thoughts. Were a young team that "should" have opportunities to be back in the Super Bowl for the next few years. I am excited to have a full year with Kaep, Crabs, Vernon etc.
the playcalling in the redzone at the end of the game was unacceptable...
all the pistol/option playcalling in the 1st half was just silly...no pro sets no power run game
we had a chance to slow the game down and never even really attempted it...

that defense is a shocker also...Culliver, I've always supported him, but he played terribly, all game.

we need to definitely spruce up our secondary...weakest link on the entire team.
and Greg Roman needs a serious talking to by Harbaugh, cuz his inconsistent play calling put us in the position to begin with.
Share 49ersWebzone