There are 203 users in the forums

Salary cap question

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by azninersfan:
How much can we save by cutting Manningham? If its a significant portion of his deal, i can see us cutting him also, reducing the need to cut Harrylson or Goodwin.

AB8, can you clarify on Rogers' deal? Is his deal mostly guaranteed now? Thanks.

Mario has $1.6M of his $3.6M base guaranteed, could be over $2M, haven't gotten conrete evidence/info. He also has $1M prorated bonus left, we would save some, not a lot, I think we let him stay and rehab, he will be a vital part if he can get helathy for second half of 2013 season.

Rogers' deal is mostly guaranteed money, we would save around $1M with a cut after new league year begins, and more if we designate him a june 1st cut. But the downside is we don't get that cap room until june 1st per CBA rules.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by Mankster:
Your math looks sound. I don't think I would like to part with Carlos Rogers just yet though. Brian Jennings ($1,161,000) has been playing a long time and might call it a career after the SB. Even with those modifications, we would still be in decent shape. Not a bad place to be.

Let me add this (found at ninercaphell.com)

The 49ers will have decisions to make on several players. Alex Smith can be traded, but they need to push the $1 million roster bonus back, if they want to save his entire base salary. If they can, then it makes sense to make a deal. Parys Haralson is due $2.87 million, all of which is non-guaranteed, so it could be savings in the 49ers pockets to use. David Akers is due a $3,616,667 salary, and they can save $3.05 million by releasing him, with only $566,667 in dead money. The same can be said for Jonathan Goodwin, who is due a $5,016,667 salary, and can save $4.35 million, with just a $666,667 in dead money.If the 49ers release/trade Smith, Haralson, Akers and Goodwin, it would give the 49ers an extra $19.02 million in cap room, plus the $2.5 million credit from Brooks' deal, plus whatever they can save from restructuring and extending the contracts of Justin Smith and Whitner.
thanks!

Wow, Man, thanks for the information!! Much Obliged!
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
AB83Rules is the Zone expert on all cap issues. I'm sure he'll respond and give you a VERY detailed explaination - and it'll be worth the wait.

I'm actually surprised he isnt working with the organization in the front office. Or, maybe he is for all I know.

That's a dream of mine. Some day I will do something for the NFL or 49ers, not sure what and when, hopefully soon.

That would be dope, AB, but I think Paraag is doing a fine job for us. You may have to turn to the dark side.

The Raiders?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
AB83Rules is the Zone expert on all cap issues. I'm sure he'll respond and give you a VERY detailed explaination - and it'll be worth the wait.

I'm actually surprised he isnt working with the organization in the front office. Or, maybe he is for all I know.

That's a dream of mine. Some day I will do something for the NFL or 49ers, not sure what and when, hopefully soon.

That would be dope, AB, but I think Paraag is doing a fine job for us. You may have to turn to the dark side.

The Raiders?

Or worse, Cowboys
Jay Hurley ‏@AB83Rules
When Donte Whitner was selected to the pro bowl he hit an escalator for 2013, an extra $100,000, up to $3.85M for 2013 base salary.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
These are the salaries for the following players. Does anyone know how much cap we save by cutting them? Is it the full amount of the cap figure?

David Akers $3,616,668
Jonathan Goodwin $5,016,668
Carlos Rogers $7,344,531
Alex Smith $9,750,000
Parys Haralson $2,870,000

Can we really save ~ $28MM?

We save $19.02M between Alex, Parys, Goodwin and Akers, and over $1M with Rogers(possibly more with june 1 designation). We would take some dead money, like 566,666 for Akers, $600K for Goodwin, $1M for Alex(could be none depending on his roster bonus), none for Haralson, and most for Rogers.

If I understnd correctly we are currently just under $1.5M in regards to the cap assuming all of our expiring contracts this offseason? Then we can save another $19.02 M if Alex Parys, goodwin and Akers aren't resigned? What is the bottom line savings on each player? Because we need depth at OLB bad and will have to spend rookie or free agent money there. It won't be what Parys is making but it will be something. He is liekly gone but not all of his money will be.

It seems to make sense that even if Akers is retained he has to restructure. I would find a cheap rookie for what he's giving us. Regardless you can't just ay we save his contract because you have to sign another kicker and factor in the dead money you may still owe Akers. BLUF is that Haralson and Akers are not clean "cuts" as they have to be replaced.

Goodwin doesn't seem to be a no brainer cut but maybe the team goes draft/cheaper depth promotion on this one. We may not have to backfill him either through the draft or FA.

Interesting that york said today that we may try and retain Alex. That may be posturing but I would be willing to call out other teams bluffs and take the Hit to force someone to trade for him if they want him.

I don't see us cutting Rogers only to save $1m vs. what we are paying him. He's not exactly having a bad season. Just not a pro bowl type one.

Bottom line question: if we move Alex and dump the others we are $19m or $20.5M? under the cap?

The other pieces of this is FA we will want to retain and holes to fill.

Holes:
19 or or $20.5M under you still have to get a third QB.
QB will cost you .5M.
You need a kicker and you want a good one. what 1M?
You need another OLB-If we draft one high that will cost some dough. .5 to 1M maybe? I'm guessing we commit about .75m to the new backup OLB.
So that's maybe 2M to replace those three positions. So the real savings is only $17M in moving the guys we mentioned. Also if Kilgore can't play center we don't have a lineman under contract to do so.

FA: Goldson-This will cost us what 8.16 if we Franchise? So there goes more than your Smith Savings.
Down to what 8.14M? I think this is where Bleacher report has us.
Then you have Lee. Man is getting paid. Maybe 1.25 against the cap? That's only $6M free.
Do we retain:
Soap-$$$? Might be affordable but not CHEAP. 1M We will have to play lowball on the market and probably end up backfilling this spot.
Moss-$$$? Will he play for just 1.75M? I know Coach said he wants Randy back but it seems Randy said he doens't know because he can do math.
Walker-$$$? Probably 1M agains thte cap? We will commit some money to walker I'm sure.
Gooden-$$$?
Jean-Francois-$$$?
Brock-$$$?
Williams-$$$?

We haven't even talked the rookie class or FA not on our team.

There are lot's of eaches in there. There are likely only two other places to squeeze money out of the cap
1-Resign J Smith (I think we can extend and rework his contract)
2-Resign/extend Whitner?? I don't know?

It's going to be an interesting offseason. I don't see us anything in FA.
Share 49ersWebzone