There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Salary cap question

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
These are the salaries for the following players. Does anyone know how much cap we save by cutting them? Is it the full amount of the cap figure?

David Akers $3,616,668
Jonathan Goodwin $5,016,668
Carlos Rogers $7,344,531
Alex Smith $9,750,000
Parys Haralson $2,870,000

Can we really save ~ $28MM?

We save $19.02M between Alex, Parys, Goodwin and Akers, and over $1M with Rogers(possibly more with june 1 designation). We would take some dead money, like 566,666 for Akers, $600K for Goodwin, $1M for Alex(could be none depending on his roster bonus), none for Haralson, and most for Rogers.
I dont understand why would we cut Haralson next season, but why, when we didnt release him this year after his preseason injury?

I dont think we cut Haralson
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
The value we are getting from our entire O-line right now is unreal. Both Iupati and A. Davis will require big contracts when they are due.

If it becomes a case of one or the other, I'll take Iupati and draft a right tackle to take over for Davis.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The value we are getting from our entire O-line right now is unreal. Both Iupati and A. Davis will require big contracts when they are due.

If it becomes a case of one or the other, I'll take Iupati and draft a right tackle to take over for Davis.
Agreed
Goodwin & Rogers were good enough to help get us to the super bowl this year, why would we reward them with walking papers?

We just need enough $ to sign our draft class right, or are you guys thinking they will go nuts in free agency?
[ Edited by glorydayz on Jan 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM ]
Notes from Sando.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/90114/paying-the-price-not-everyones-a-bargain

Some how he says Crabtree is owed $10.6 million in 2013. I'm not sure how that is possible, I will look into his deal, he may of earned some incentives.

Some clarity from Schefter on Alex's deal.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/page/10spot-12week21/super-bowl-xlvii-colin-kaepernick-russell-wilson-cash-in

If Smith is still on the 49ers' roster April 1, his $7.5 million salary becomes fully guaranteed, per a review of the deal, no questions asked. Most around the league expect the 49ers to make their move with Smith well before then.

But there are other dates that have ramifications for Smith as well. If he is traded by the third day of the league year -- March 14 -- then the 49ers owe him nothing. If Smith is cut before the third day of the league year, the 49ers owe him a $1 million roster bonus. If Smith is cut after the third day of the league year, the 49ers owe him a $2 million roster bonus.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Jan 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

i say we keep iupati and maybe move boone back to tackle and then looney in the guard position

my prediction of the O-line in 2014 is
Staley...Iupati...Kilgore...Looney...Boone

i think we should give the center position to kilgore next season and than in 2014 we might have to let A.Davis go but he is a really underrated player and he might not be a top FA so there is a chance we can keep him
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
AB83Rules is the Zone expert on all cap issues. I'm sure he'll respond and give you a VERY detailed explaination - and it'll be worth the wait.

I'm actually surprised he isnt working with the organization in the front office. Or, maybe he is for all I know.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
AB83Rules is the Zone expert on all cap issues. I'm sure he'll respond and give you a VERY detailed explaination - and it'll be worth the wait.

I'm actually surprised he isnt working with the organization in the front office. Or, maybe he is for all I know.

That's a dream of mine. Some day I will do something for the NFL or 49ers, not sure what and when, hopefully soon.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

That's a dream of mine. Some day I will do something for the NFL or 49ers, not sure what and when, hopefully soon.

That would be dope, AB, but I think Paraag is doing a fine job for us. You may have to turn to the dark side.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

That would be dope, AB, but I think Paraag is doing a fine job for us. You may have to turn to the dark side.

I know it would be dope, but I could never take Paraag's spot, maybe I be the assistant to him, bounce ideas off of him.
How much can we save by cutting Manningham? If its a significant portion of his deal, i can see us cutting him also, reducing the need to cut Harrylson or Goodwin.

AB8, can you clarify on Rogers' deal? Is his deal mostly guaranteed now? Thanks.
Why are we cutting everyone again? You can't just cut 7 or 8 guys and expect the same results. Sure some of these guys should go..but Rogers, Rio, Goodwin? Unless there is a guy you want in free agency, leave our starters alone.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Goodwin & Rogers were good enough to help get us to the super bowl this year, why would we reward them with walking papers?

We just need enough $ to sign our draft class right, or are you guys thinking they will go nuts in free agency?

I'm thinking we may need some money to pay CK more than 600K one day, will need to resign Iupati and Davis, possibly this year, and will be paying more than we thought to keep Crabtree around past next year. Plus Goldson or another FS, and eventually Aldon. Finally, we will be without a left tackle one the offseason starts
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I'm thinking we may need some money to pay CK more than 600K one day, will need to resign Iupati and Davis, possibly this year, and will be paying more than we thought to keep Crabtree around past next year. Plus Goldson or another FS, and eventually Aldon. Finally, we will be without a left tackle one the offseason starts

There are some tough decisions coming and it doesn't look like we are to be getting any help with a rising salary cap. Somewhere between next offseason and the following (2014), we are probably going to see one or a few cap casualties. How we draft it going to be critical to give this team some insurance and the 2013 draft and what becomes of the 2012 class will go a long way in insuring we aren't hurt too bad.

As for Rogers, I've said it before, he will look pretty good if we have a better pass rush. It forces QBs into making quicker decisions, it can alter the flight path of the ball, can cause turnovers in the form of interceptions and fumbles, and forces more players on offense to account for our 4 man rush. It would also be great if we had a better push in the middle. If Justin Smith is the only defensive lineman that commands a double team, we have a problem.