There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Red Zone Offense has been deadly

I think the main thing the read option added was just the threat of the run. I just felt like for a long time we abandoned Frank gore in the red zone. I think it's part of why our red zone offense was better with Sing. The fact that teams loaded the box made passing easier. But for a while there I felt we would telegraph a pass and then just throw. The pass to VD was a thing of beauty. Classic play action in the redzone. He just leaked out late and BAM! TD. It just seems so simple sometimes. The key to the red zone seems to be decisiveness more than anything else. Don't get to cute and be cocky.
[ Edited by VA49er on Jan 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM ]
Hate to bring up AS but it looks like we are much better at scoring in the red zone with Kaep at qb. Big help since our kicker has completely lost in now.
Akers slump has been a blessing in disguise.
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
I posted this earlier but I think it's a great thought about the Pistol, for those that didn't see Trent Dilfer talk about this last night:

"It's called the Pistol, and you're going to have people tell you they've figured it out...take long enough the NFL will figure it out. There's no answer for the Pistol, it's simple math...right? It's addition, you have more numbers than the other team when you run the zone read, and it's Geometry, you have angles set up. Nobody has found an answer to the pistol yet and the Baltimore Ravens have to because the Niners score touchdowns off of it. It's not always Kaep running. Today 2 of the 3 touchdown runs were pistol runs. Big plays in the pass game come off of the pistol and if the Ravens can't figure out the pistol, it doesn't matter how physical they are...THEY WILL LOSE"

They don't have enough experience against it or the type of QB's that run it. It makes me very Excite

I agree also CK is an expert or a savant as JH put it at running this offense. I saw Nebraska's qb try to run it and many times it looked like he was guessing on whether to keep it or hand it off. Kaep seems to always know what to do. Its uncanny.
Originally posted by VA49er:
I think the main thing the read option added was just the threat of the run. I just felt like for a long time we abandoned Frank gore in the red zone. I think it's part of why our red zone offense was better with Sing. The fact that teams loaded the box made passing easier. But for a while there I felt we would telegraph a pass and then just throw. The pass to VD was a thing of beauty. Classic play action in the redzone. He just leaked out late and BAM! TD. It just seems so simple sometimes. The key to the red zone seems to be decisiveness more than anything else. Don't get to cute and be cocky.

I didnt think of it as abandoning Gore as much as keeping him healthy for the playoffs.
Originally posted by Husker49er:
I agree also CK is an expert or a savant as JH put it at running this offense. I saw Nebraska's qb try to run it and many times it looked like he was guessing on whether to keep it or hand it off. Kaep seems to always know what to do. Its uncanny.

It gives Kaep the upper hand when it was developed by his coach in Nevada.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Akers slump has been a blessing in disguise.

I don't see how. It's not like we've recently been going for more 4th downs when we're in field goal range.
The past two games have been like nothing I've seen all season, it's like we're scoring, or we're in the redzone ALMOST EVERY OFFENSIVE POSSESSION, we like only punted once or twice in that entire Packers game. -People are crediting the pistol, but fail to see that our offense runs more schemes/combos than any in the NFL, we have without a doubt the most sophisticated offensive variety in all of the NFL. Gruden was literally ejaculating over the intelligence of our offense during that Bears game.

It's like we're using every piece of our offense to make plays and keep the defenses off-guard, and you can see on almost every offensive drive in that Falcons game their D was throwing fits because of Colin's audibles/reading mismatches.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
we have to be cause akers f**king sucks

speaking truth!!
It's a good thing the red zone offense has gotten a lot better lately, because the Ravens red zone defense is very good. I actually think Akers will be asked to see if he can possibly get a football or two through the uprights as opposed to wide left. Maybe if he aimed to the right of the goal posts, he could knock a few through. But, he's not going to do that. The strange thing is that in pre-game warmups he nails them all. He's obviously got a case of the yips. He's clearly a head-case right now, but maybe he'll redeem himself in the final game. A guy can dream.
The defenses we've gone up against haven't been great recently, but over the last 2 games our offense has just been sick period. Take out the slow first quarters from both games and we have 8 touchdowns, 1 field goal, 1 missed field goal, 1 fumble at the 1, and 1 punt(other than the one at the end of the game vs. Atl).

Let that sink in. Other than the clock-killing drive at the end of the Falcons game, we have punted the ball one time in the last 2 games after the first quarter.
[ Edited by Disp on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:45 PM ]
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
I posted this earlier but I think it's a great thought about the Pistol, for those that didn't see Trent Dilfer talk about this last night:

"It's called the Pistol, and you're going to have people tell you they've figured it out...take long enough the NFL will figure it out. There's no answer for the Pistol, it's simple math...right? It's addition, you have more numbers than the other team when you run the zone read, and it's Geometry, you have angles set up. Nobody has found an answer to the pistol yet and the Baltimore Ravens have to because the Niners score touchdowns off of it. It's not always Kaep running. Today 2 of the 3 touchdown runs were pistol runs. Big plays in the pass game come off of the pistol and if the Ravens can't figure out the pistol, it doesn't matter how physical they are...THEY WILL LOSE"

They don't have enough experience against it or the type of QB's that run it. It makes me very Excite

Shhhh... Don't let the secret out.

The Pistol is just a gimmick and is only going to succeed in getting our QB hurt.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
The past two games have been like nothing I've seen all season, it's like we're scoring, or we're in the redzone ALMOST EVERY OFFENSIVE POSSESSION, we like only punted once or twice in that entire Packers game. -People are crediting the pistol, but fail to see that our offense runs more schemes/combos than any in the NFL, we have without a doubt the most sophisticated offensive variety in all of the NFL. Gruden was literally ejaculating over the intelligence of our offense during that Bears game.

It's like we're using every piece of our offense to make plays and keep the defenses off-guard, and you can see on almost every offensive drive in that Falcons game their D was throwing fits because of Colin's audibles/reading mismatches.

The best part is, we can run all of those plays through the pistol formation. Making it that much harder for the D to get a good bead on what we are doing.
Next year, defenses will know how to stop it, so we have to be even more innovative on offense.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the improvement in the red zone offense and the ability of ck to avoid sacks and create plays are the two biggest things things he has done for our team this year. i know you guys like those 80 yard runs and thats ok