There are 232 users in the forums

Red Zone Offense has been deadly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think much of our red zone effectivness has been because of the pistol offense... I wasn't a fan of it at first but it is incredibly hard to defend. Forces the defense to freeze for just a second which has allowed the WR's and RB's time to get into open space. Once the offense got going yesterday I think we scored 4 td's out of the 6 or so trips. This offense is getting very very dangerous. The defense needs to step up a little more (would address defense defense defense in the draft), but other than that we have been very impressive in the redzone.
This. Having to keep someone in to watch Kaep eliminates one guy and forces the defenses to freeze for a bit as you said. I also wonder if the extra attention given to Kaep helped open things up for Vernon Davis also. Either that or Mike Nolan is clueless on how to defend the TE. Clearly he didn't know how to use one as a coach.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This. Having to keep someone in to watch Kaep eliminates one guy and forces the defenses to freeze for a bit as you said. I also wonder if the extra attention given to Kaep helped open things up for Vernon Davis also. Either that or Mike Nolan is clueless on how to defend the TE. Clearly he didn't know how to use one as a coach.

Im gonna go with your second point Much respect for Nolan buuuuut there is a reason he is no longer our coach.
Agree it has been very good and also very diverse and aggressive in the red zone!
Red zone offense has become a Niner strength as this season has progressed. The read option and Kaep being a more aggressive and a quicker decision maker big keys.
even if gire?
we have to be cause akers f**king sucks
Noarguments.

We've been much more effective in the RZone than in quite a few years.
well anytime you got a QB who's a threat to run, of course that's gonna help you out in the redzone. just look at tebow, that's where he had most of his success.

also, mike nolan has no idea on how to defend the TE, they've been one of the worst all year in the category. but at the same time, they have small corners and safetys.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Jan 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM ]
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

QFT

Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

May be a blessing
Notice on 3rd and long we do not panic anymore? I'm so used to punting on 3rd and more than 5 bc of Alex smith either holding it too long or not extending plays.......but now on 3rd downs, especially and goals, we score or convert a lot of the time. I have to attribute that to kaep bc we have the same personnel just now it's kaep
As Baltimore had the best red zone defense in the NFL this season, it should be a great matchup.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
the difference with our Red zone offense now as opposed to when Smith was in there is the threat of CK taking off with the ball. DE's and LB's need to stay home to protect against the QB run, leaves other players open.
I posted this earlier but I think it's a great thought about the Pistol, for those that didn't see Trent Dilfer talk about this last night:

"It's called the Pistol, and you're going to have people tell you they've figured it out...take long enough the NFL will figure it out. There's no answer for the Pistol, it's simple math...right? It's addition, you have more numbers than the other team when you run the zone read, and it's Geometry, you have angles set up. Nobody has found an answer to the pistol yet and the Baltimore Ravens have to because the Niners score touchdowns off of it. It's not always Kaep running. Today 2 of the 3 touchdown runs were pistol runs. Big plays in the pass game come off of the pistol and if the Ravens can't figure out the pistol, it doesn't matter how physical they are...THEY WILL LOSE"

They don't have enough experience against it or the type of QB's that run it. It makes me very Excite
Share 49ersWebzone