There are 158 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Originally posted by HudsonValley:
97.

The Niners were great at overcoming their demons on the 3rd try. Really felt Eddie D. built that team (through FA) to overcome the Packers, but lo and behold...Favre gutted us again. As great as Steve Young was (for some of you youngsters that didnt see him play), his career was almost an exact copy of Peyton Manning's. Unstoppable in the regular season, always coming up short in the big games.


No doubt in my mind Young lost playoff games that Montana would've won.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
The three peat killer was tough to swallow. Would have solidified Montana and those niners as the best in NFL history.

plus the '91 offseason was just bad vibes...ronnie & roger go to LA, buncha old timers from the 80's dynasty call it quits (wright, keena, mike wilson, et al.) or aren't re-signed (millen), haley started to get extra bats**t crazy and hate seifert, montana gets hurt in the preseason (against the stupid seahawks of course) and misses another year, then the season starts and the 18-game road win streak is ended by the same stupid giants at the meadowlands and the whole season is an erratic mess where the team couldn't beat the damn falcons and despite a furious finish get pipped at the post for the playoffs losing out on the tie breaker and at least the #6 seed to the saints and dirty birds....offense was still potent but there was the young/bono debate while joe was hurt and the D was starting to show its age (the loss of lott's leadership hurt) that would be exposed against dallas the following 2 years
None of the above. For me is was the 49ers vs the cards in 99. Aeneas Williams flat out creamed Steve Young and ended his career.
Voted '90, last year was tough but I think I was just happy we were in the game. '90 I expected to win it all.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
None of the above. For me is was the 49ers vs the cards in 99. Aeneas Williams flat out creamed Steve Young and ended his career.

wasn't an nfccg doe (MNF in like week 3)
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by NJNiner:
None of the above. For me is was the 49ers vs the cards in 99. Aeneas Williams flat out creamed Steve Young and ended his career.

wasn't an nfccg doe (MNF in like week 3)

My bad, I didn't read the title of this thread thoroughly. I am just so pumped for this game that it's all I can think of! lol!
In order:

1990
1983
2011

I did not expect us to beat Dallas in 1992 or 1993 or Green Bay in 1997. I FULLY expected wins in '83, '90, and '11. Each of those losses was close and each of them had their own sting (the bad penalties in 1983, the fumble in 1990, the fumbles in 2011)

But if I had to choose one game, it would be 1990. And the reason is because that loss ended the Joe Montana era. It's hilarious that the media was talking about how if we lost to Green Bay this year with Kaep starting that Harbaugh would be second guessed for not starting Alex Smith. Imagine how Seifert felt losing the 1992 NFC Championship with Joe Montana - the greatest pressure, big game QB in NFL history - on the bench while Steve Young threw 2 fourth quarter picks to seal the loss.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
None of the above. For me is was the 49ers vs the cards in 99. Aeneas Williams flat out creamed Steve Young and ended his career.


Thanks to Lawrence Phillips missed assignment to block that guy.
I haven't been watching football very long. I grew up in Cali and watched the Niners before I knew how Football worked. My aunt really inculcated Niners pride in me as a youngen. Then after moving to NY, NJ, CT, and back to Cali I moved to Ohio (nearly 20 moves all before I turned 12) where I lived out the rest of my youth. Yeah, Niners were having a dry spell for about a decade so you can imagine how much of them I got to see being too young for the bars and being surrounded by Browns fans. My interest in the sport had faded into oblivion in favor of basketball.

2011, at 25 and living in Florida, I went out every Sunday afternoon and endured the football crowd while I enjoyed my drinks. You wouldn't believe who I was watching on TV for the first time since I was four feet tall. The god damn San Fransisco 49ers. Got hooked. I'm from Corte Madera, CA. It instilled hometown pride like I hadn't felt before.

Tampa area is brim-full of obnoxious New York fans. I got the bandwagon label from the get-go. That loss to New York struck me down.

I had my first taste of football tribalism in over a decade and I'm never looking back. The sport has never been this fun to watch. Thick or thin I'm repping California (greatest place on earth) and showing my home town some love.

And Slayer. I love Slayer, too.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
plus the '91 offseason was just bad vibes...ronnie & roger go to LA, buncha old timers from the 80's dynasty call it quits (wright, keena, mike wilson, et al.) or aren't re-signed (millen), haley started to get extra bats**t crazy and hate seifert, montana gets hurt in the preseason (against the stupid seahawks of course) and misses another year,

Wow, I didn't know Montana played in the preseason. I thought that injury he sustained in the '90 NFC title game kept him out for 2 seasons.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
1990 - Roger Craig's fumble. I was only 9, but I still hate the Giants to this day for that (and last year.)

I was 13. Cried for an hour. Same for the Giants here. Hate those sonsab***hes.
Originally posted by midrdan:
In order:

1990
1983
2011

I did not expect us to beat Dallas in 1992 or 1993 or Green Bay in 1997. I FULLY expected wins in '83, '90, and '11. Each of those losses was close and each of them had their own sting (the bad penalties in 1983, the fumble in 1990, the fumbles in 2011)

But if I had to choose one game, it would be 1990. And the reason is because that loss ended the Joe Montana era. It's hilarious that the media was talking about how if we lost to Green Bay this year with Kaep starting that Harbaugh would be second guessed for not starting Alex Smith. Imagine how Seifert felt losing the 1992 NFC Championship with Joe Montana - the greatest pressure, big game QB in NFL history - on the bench while Steve Young threw 2 fourth quarter picks to seal the loss.


I find it interesting that u didn't expect the 49ers to beat the Cowboys in the '92 title game considering the 49ers had home field advantage.

What gets me is that many NFL analysts and parts of the media were questioning whether or not Alex could lead this championship calibur team to the Super Bowl in this past offseason but once Harbaugh benches Alex in favor of Colin then many NFL analysts and the media started looking at Alex as the "benched hero".
1990 no doubt. Craig's fumble, the fake punt, Montana's injury, ending our chances of a 3-peat.
double post
[ Edited by RabidNiner on Jan 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM ]
Originally posted by ninersoul:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
plus the '91 offseason was just bad vibes...ronnie & roger go to LA, buncha old timers from the 80's dynasty call it quits (wright, keena, mike wilson, et al.) or aren't re-signed (millen), haley started to get extra bats**t crazy and hate seifert, montana gets hurt in the preseason (against the stupid seahawks of course) and misses another year,

Wow, I didn't know Montana played in the preseason. I thought that injury he sustained in the '90 NFC title game kept him out for 2 seasons.

everyone thought he had fully recovered between that january loss and august when preseason started and would be the starter in '91...

don't remember if he actually played any snaps or just re-aggravated his elbow injury (from the leonard marshall hit) during pregame warmups against seattle, but at first it seemed like a minor tweak and a late lineup scratch so that joe was just gonna sit out that preseason game as a routine precautionary measure...

then it was big news that hit everyone like a ton of bricks when it was revealed during the week following that it would lead to season-ending elbow surgery...talk about demoralizing

i vaguely remember reading about all this in the 49ers 50th anniversary book (i was only 8 in '91 so firsthand memory is vauge at best)
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jan 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM ]