There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We need to extend Crabtree

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Crabtree is going to want a max contract. I'm from the school of thought that believes the QB makes the receiver. Peyton Manning never missed a beat breaking in a new receiver as did Tom Brady. I'd rather lock up the OL.

I agree with this. We have a QB who can actually maximize the strengths of his receivers. As good as Crabs is...his numbers went up due to the man behind center. Mr. Colin Kaepernick. Still, I would like to see him locked up.
Crabtree is an elite receiver, ive read how some corners say hes explosive(sherman, Rogers). Lock him up0
Originally posted by thuglife619:
Crabtree is an elite receiver, ive read how some corners say hes explosive(sherman, Rogers). Lock him up0

Baltimore secondary agrees
I would not be the least bit surprised if Crabtree and his agent push the 49ers all the way again this time right into the free agency free market signing frenzy demanding top FA WR money which I doubt the 49ers will be able to or want to pay out. Out of 31 other NFL teams FA WR's are always in demand and at least 1-3 teams will step up and offer Crabtree Mike Wallace Dwayne Bowe money bet on it.

With 14 picks in the 2013 draft the 49ers had better use that extra 2nd round pick and trade up and draft that young elite explosive wideout Cordarrelle Patterson who would be ready to step in if and when Crabtree signs with another team and when Boldin retires in a year or two.
I want to go farther and deeper.

Current long term contracts.

ILB NaVorro Bowman
P Andy Lee
ILB Patrick Willis
LT Joe Staley
OLB Ahmad Brooks
TE Vernon Davis
RG Alex Boone
CB Carlos Rogers
WR A.J. Jenkins
RB LaMichael James
C/LG Joe Looney
DE Ray McDonald
FS Craig Dahl
SS Trenton Robinson
NT Ian Williams
OLB Darius Fleming

Those are signed through at least 2015-2018.

Then we have the big 5 Free Agents to be in 2015,

WR Michael Crabtree
QB Colin Kaepernick
LG Mike Iupati
RT Anthony Davis
OLB Aldon Smith

Although Aldon has a team option for 2015.

Then we may have to choose between Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver, with us drafting a CB early this or next year.

Rogers isn't gonna see his 2014 or 2015 salary, too high, so might be able to keep both Brown and Culliver.

Then we have the following I would like back as free agents in 2015.

Kendall Hunter
Bruce MIller
Daniel Kilgore
Brian Jennings

Also Justin after this season, maybe a extension this year.

We should have enough money to extend Justin, Brown/Cully, 4 of the big 5, keep the other 4 I mentioned, cut Rogers, and be set for future. At some point we can lower Vernon and Willis' base salaries, extensions, and be set even more, same with Staley. The only one in line for a big money extension is Boone.

It may come down to Davis or Iupati on the OL. If so, I go Davis. Much easier to find a LG then to quality OTs.

Also hopefully Dorsey, Skuta and Dawson pay off, and are part of the future. Dawson more so short term future. I like Dorsey as DE if Justin retires after 2013.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I want to go farther and deeper.

Current long term contracts.

ILB NaVorro Bowman
P Andy Lee
ILB Patrick Willis
LT Joe Staley
OLB Ahmad Brooks
TE Vernon Davis
RG Alex Boone
CB Carlos Rogers
WR A.J. Jenkins
RB LaMichael James
C/LG Joe Looney
DE Ray McDonald
FS Craig Dahl
SS Trenton Robinson
NT Ian Williams
OLB Darius Fleming

Those are signed through at least 2015-2018.

Then we have the big 5 Free Agents to be in 2015,

WR Michael Crabtree
QB Colin Kaepernick
LG Mike Iupati
RT Anthony Davis
OLB Aldon Smith

Although Aldon has a team option for 2015.

Then we may have to choose between Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver, with us drafting a CB early this or next year.

Rogers isn't gonna see his 2014 or 2015 salary, too high, so might be able to keep both Brown and Culliver.

Then we have the following I would like back as free agents in 2015.

Kendall Hunter
Bruce MIller
Daniel Kilgore
Brian Jennings

Also Justin after this season, maybe a extension this year.

We should have enough money to extend Justin, Brown/Cully, 4 of the big 5, keep the other 4 I mentioned, cut Rogers, and be set for future. At some point we can lower Vernon and Willis' base salaries, extensions, and be set even more, same with Staley. The only one in line for a big money extension is Boone.

It may come down to Davis or Iupati on the OL. If so, I go Davis. Much easier to find a LG then to quality OTs.

Also hopefully Dorsey, Skuta and Dawson pay off, and are part of the future. Dawson more so short term future. I like Dorsey as DE if Justin retires after 2013.

This is awesome info! Can you add this to the Team Needs thread for everyone?
I see Crabs and Aldon trying to milk it for all its worth. Can't blame them.

Better pick up an alternative to both in the near future.
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is awesome info! Can you add this to the Team Needs thread for everyone?

Done my friend.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I see Crabs and Aldon trying to milk it for all its worth. Can't blame them.

Better pick up an alternative to both in the near future.

If Crabtree keeps putting up the numbers you just know that Crabtree's agent is going to ask the 49ers for a top $$ WR contract.

And if the 49ers can't afford that contract or offer less or choose to walk away Crabtree's agent without a doubt will advise him to head for free agency.
Does anyone really think we are going to just not sign our first elite WR since Terrell Owens? Crabtree will be extended you can bet on that, you guys seem to be devaluing him immensely.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
More like hellacious decisions to make. They can work as hard as they want, it doesn't mean players will play for less money.

Yeah, both
Who says no to Crabtree signing a 4 year, $40 million (say, $20 mil guaranteed) contract extension that locks him up through 2018, Baalke/Marathe or Crabtree's agent? I think that'd be a win-win. It's a bit less than his likely open market value, but it gives him 2 years of injury insurance and allows him a chance at free agency at age 31 for potentially one last big contract.
Originally posted by 49erSK:
Does anyone really think we are going to just not sign our first elite WR since Terrell Owens? Crabtree will be extended you can bet on that, you guys seem to be devaluing him immensely.

If Crabtree demands something like $15 million per season or more, then no, it's not a sure thing we can extend him.
I predict that Crabtree will be third of fourth priority on the list of players they feel they absolutely need to extend. Number one is going to be Kaepernick. Then, I think they're going to try to keep the O-line in tact by working on Iupati and Anthony Davis. Then, after they get QB and line squared away, they start thinking about receivers.
Originally posted by kap2crab:
If Crabtree demands something like $15 million per season or more, then no, it's not a sure thing we can extend him.

The more I have thought over the circumstances and Crabtree's history and age, 27 after the 2014 season is done, Crabtree will be gone to the highest bidder and it won't be the 49ers. Niners have a lot of players to get signed.

27 is Crabtree's big op for a big FA deal not at age 31.