There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We need to extend Crabtree

Originally posted by SkyGod:
The more I have thought over the circumstances and Crabtree's history and age, 27 after the 2014 season is done, Crabtree will be gone to the highest bidder and it won't be the 49ers. Niners have a lot of players to get signed.

27 is Crabtree's big op for a big FA deal not at age 31.

Yes but let's say he signs a big 6 year deal when he's 28 (he would be 28 for his first season with new team), that would almost certainly be the final big payday of his career as no one's gonna give a lucrative long-term deal to a guy who's gonna be 34 for the first game of his new contract. So if he waits til 28, he's got one big payday left, if he signed a 4 year extension now and hit the market again when he's 31 or 32, he would have a shot at squeezing in an additional last big payday to wrap his career up with 3 big contracts as opposed to 2.

As for the bolded, it would be a big deal at 25 (now...meaning a potential extension) AND 31, not just 31.
[ Edited by kap2crab on Mar 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM ]
Originally posted by kap2crab:
If Crabtree demands something like $15 million per season or more, then no, it's not a sure thing we can extend him.

The more I have thought over the circumstances and Crabtree's history and age, 27 after the 2014 season is done, Crabtree will be gone to the highest bidder and it won't be the 49ers. Niners have a lot of players to get signed.

27 is Crabtree's big op for a big FA deal not at age 31.
Not only that, but as Maicco points out, Crabtree's agent is Eugene Parker, who has been very tough for the Niners to deal with in the past. He'll have Crabtree holding out for top league money or testing the market.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Not only that, but as Maicco points out, Crabtree's agent is Eugene Parker, who has been very tough for the Niners to deal with in the past. He'll have Crabtree holding out for top league money or testing the market.

Ya I know Eugene Parker has been a tough agent for the 49ers to deal with, no doubt at age 27 he'll advise & take Crabtree all the way to the highest FA offer.

Crabtree is gone after 2014.
Boldin 1 or 2 and gone

umm...49ers FO better be looking at wideout Patterson in the draft for CK7.
Ya I know Eugene Parker has been a tough agent for the 49ers to deal with, no doubt at age 27 he'll advise & take Crabtree all the way to the highest FA offer.

Crabtree is gone after 2014.
Boldin 1 or 2 and gone

umm...49ers FO better be looking at wideout Patterson in the draft for CK7.

No chance we go WR in 1st round. You don't need to start preparing in 2013 for potential vacancies at a position that could occur 2015. If they need a year to red-shirt, they would be taken in the 2014 draft. Not to mention there's 2014 free agency, 2015 free agency, plus A.J. Jenkins' potential development. Kyle Williams has a chance to turn out to be our slot receiver of the future as well.
[ Edited by kap2crab on Mar 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM ]
Originally posted by kap2crab:
No chance we go WR in 1st round. You don't need to start preparing in 2013 for potential vacancies at a position that could occur 2015. If they need a year to red-shirt, they would be taken in the 2014 draft. Not to mention there's 2014 free agency, 2015 free agency, plus A.J. Jenkins' potential development. Kyle Williams has a chance to turn out to be our slot receiver of the future as well.

Boldin could be a 1 and out and Patterson does not have to be red shirted he may be able to contribute in 2013.

Smart GM's plan ahead. What if Boldin or Crabtree get injured?

Jenkins has not proven jack.

49ers can't afford to sign any of the top FA WR's in 2014 or 2015.

Williams at best is a 4th slot receiver on a SB contending team.

We need to be looking to aquire an elite wideout in the 2013 draft and Patterson is the consensus #1 wideout WR he will be a beast.
Boldin could be a 1 and out and Patterson does not have to be red shirted he may be able to contribute in 2013.

Smart GM's plan ahead. What if Boldin or Crabtree get injured?

Jenkins has not proven jack.

49ers can't afford to sign any of the top FA WR's in 2014 or 2015.

Williams at best is a 4th slot receiver on a SB contending team.

We need to be looking to aquire an elite wideout in the 2013 draft and Patterson is the consensus #1 wideout WR he will be a beast.

You can make the 'what if so and so gets injured' argument for any position. Maybe we should go inside linebacker in the first round in case Willis and Bowman get injured? The bottom line though is we have 2 blue chip wide receivers, a third WR in Manningham, who, though injured at the moment, would start on most teams when healthy. We got a 23 year old 2012 1st rounder who surely will have more of an opportunity to show what he can do in 2013. Plus Williams. We have very nice depth right now at WR even with 2 guys coming off ACL's (even if NEITHER is ready at the beginning of season, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with a Baalke 1st round pick as our #3 receiver) We will probably draft a receiver but I highly doubt that it'll be in the first couple rounds. As for 2014, yes we might not have Boldin then, but then again we also might indeed have him. And even if we don't, Jenkins in his 3rd year should be ready to start. Maybe Manningham and/or Williams will earn new contracts. There's also 2014 free agency and the 2014 draft. Too many variables about our 2014 WR corps to say that it needs to be urgently addressed in the 2013 draft.

Think about it, you have 2 of the 10 or 15 best wide receivers in the NFL starting. As it is on the bench you have last year's first rounder, and you want to spend ANOTHER first rounder on a WR to ride the pine? With, again, still guys like Manningham and Williams on the roster? Makes no sense. Hell, if (and it's not really even that big of an if) Manningham and Williams are both ready to go at the start of the regular season, I would be perfectly fine with simply going Crab/Boldin/Manningham/Jenkins/Williams as our WR corps. Why are you so worried about 2014? I would bet $1,000 that between Boldin/Manningham/Williams, AT LEAST one of them (and likely multiple) will be given a new contract keeping them in San Fran beyond 2013. Then in 2014 you would have at least one of them to go along with Crabtree, Jenkins, and, say, a 2014 free agent and a 2014 draft pick. I'm not at all concerned about our 2014 WR corps.
[ Edited by kap2crab on Mar 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM ]
Without the availability of Manningham, Kendall Hunter and K. Williams, the Niners just averaged more than 30 points a game in the playoffs. It is painfully obvious that the reason the Niners don't have a 6th ring is that their defense collapsed at the end of the season. They gave up more points than any Niner team has ever surrendered in a Super Bowl. In fact in all 47 Super Bowls, no winning team has ever given up 34 points.

This being the case, I find it amazing that there are fans around here who think they should be drafting a wide receiver early in the draft. They need to fix their defense, period.
Without the availability of Manningham, Kendall Hunter and K. Williams, the Niners just averaged more than 30 points a game in the playoffs. It is painfully obvious that the reason the Niners don't have a 6th ring is that their defense collapsed at the end of the season. They gave up more points than any Niner team has ever surrendered in a Super Bowl. In fact in all 47 Super Bowls, no winning team has ever given up 34 points.

This being the case, I find it amazing that there are fans around here who think they should be drafting a wide receiver early in the draft. They need to fix their defense, period.

Our MVP playing with one arm had a HELLUVA lot to do with that. Aldon having a torn labrum didn't help either. That plus you aren't exactly gonna completely bottle up Rodgers/Nelson/Cobb/Jennings/Jones and Ryan/White/Jones/Gonzalez
[ Edited by kap2crab on Mar 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM ]

I agree, but I don't believe in one-sided drafts. They will need a new TE, unless Q is taking all of the HB reps. I would prefer that the new #2TE be an actual weapon, which means we will need to go relatively early. That said, I agree that DE (and general pass rush depth) is a major need to improve, as are BOTH safety positions and Nickel.
Yeah, I don't expect or want a completely defensive draft. I would just like to see them make sure they get a starting-quality DE or DT to immediately get into the rotation and a starting-quality safety early. I think there are some very high quality TE's that will still be around in the third as well as some big NT prospects later on in the fourth.

Best post on here in a long time.

The team changed a lot at the end of the regular season and the playoffs. Time to reload on defense.
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
Best post on here in a long time.

The team changed a lot at the end of the regular season and the playoffs. Time to reload on defense.

What?

Should be 'First post I agree with strongly in easily recalled history'

Team didn't change at the end of the regular season. We don't need to scrap anything, or do anything drastic. All we need is rotation for depth. We had injuries. Serious injuries. They're fixed now. Just depth. Getting a WR early isn't unthinkable. Our depleted WR corps is debatably what cost us a sixth ring, for the second year in a row. Think they want that to happen again? Not likely.
Originally posted by xtm059:
What?

Should be 'First post I agree with strongly in easily recalled history'

Team didn't change at the end of the regular season. We don't need to scrap anything, or do anything drastic. All we need is rotation for depth. We had injuries. Serious injuries. They're fixed now. Just depth. Getting a WR early isn't unthinkable. Our depleted WR corps is debatably what cost us a sixth ring, for the second year in a row. Think they want that to happen again? Not likely.

Yeah wide receivers were totally the issue. It sure wasn't an overrated secondary and nonexistent passrush, was it?
If Crabtree wants to stick around with Kaepernick and Harbaugh seeing that only good things will come because of that, then he will resign no matter what garbage Parker tells him about how much money he can make if he goes to FA. Niners = Super Bowls and HOF potential. Some other crap team that wastes their cap on the hottest FAs = More $$ but that's it. I think he knows what the smartest decision it there.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
If Crabtree wants to stick around with Kaepernick and Harbaugh seeing that only good things will come because of that, then he will resign no matter what garbage Parker tells him about how much money he can make if he goes to FA. Niners = Super Bowls and HOF potential. Some other crap team that wastes their cap on the hottest FAs = More $$ but that's it. I think he knows what the smartest decision it there.

Crabs will retire a 49er I bet you anything. He is loaded just from his rookie contract financially. Unless he is a greedy douche he wont turn his back for the highest bidder just to end up on the Raiders, or Dolphins to waste away with 4-12 seasons.